Anyone else looking for friends to build a weightloss support system ?

Options
I was recently laid off of work so that sucks but I told myself in the mean time this is my chance to enjoy life and put my health first. My issue is I go great for a few days then I lack the motivation . Eating and meal prep I’m usually able to stick to , it’s the exercise side of it. I’m out of shape and very weak and I let that discourage me.
I really thrive off of having a solid support system to motivate me on the hard days. People who are working towards the same type of goal. I’d love to get some friends on here !

Replies

• FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What's the workout plan for today? Let us know when you are done and I'll be back to online fist bump you.
  • Rebekkadorn
    Rebekkadorn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love a weight loss buddy. Feel free to add me😊
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    That sucks about your job, but it looks like you found the silver lining. What kind(s) of exercise are you looking to get into?
  • hasmig4u
    hasmig4u Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In March of 2020 I was diagnosed with cancer. What followed was major surgery, five weeks of daily radiation and finally six months of Chemo - so toxic it dated from the 1980s. During that time my back fractured, although the doctors did not diagnose this until I was convulsed with pain and a routine CAT scan showed the fractures. All that to say that at the end of this I was incredibly deconditioned. I could barely walk around a block. But, I started doing Chair Yoga and Chair exercises - 15-30 minutes. And I walked - in fact friends would stop by to make sure I got out for one daily walk. Week by week I slowly got stronger and, now, a year later I am back to biking, enjoying yoga and my workouts and even went back to downhill skiing which I never thought I would do again. So. It can be done. You need to start slowly and be proud of even 10-15 minutes. I also feel that walking makes a huge difference. Although I belong to a gym, I mostly use Youtube. I do yoga with 'Kassandra' and work out with HASfit (just love Coach Kozak and his wife). You've got this.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I to love the youtube videos- there are so many for whatever level of fitness- I like the walking videos(leslie Sansone is fun)and there are many others- also like OP said even chair exercises can help as you build yourself up-- We are here for you- Let's do this thang!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,269 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't doing this, but just in case:

There's a common but incorrect myth that exercise needs to be some objectively hugely difficult, challenging, intense - maybe even miserable - thing in order to be beneficial.

That's 100% not true. IMO, the greatest success comes from being realistic about our current state, and starting with something that's just a mild bit of manageable challenge. As we progress, get a little fitter, the challenge horizon moves further, and we do progressively, gradually, a little more, to keep the manageable challenge. That's how progress happens.

We may think "real athletes" (whoever they are 😆) would laugh at it, but that's both irrelevant and incorrect. (IME: I had the privilege to be coached by some amazing people, including Olympic medalists, when I was very physically depleted, obese, not at all high performance, and they were nothing but sincerely encouraging and supportive. Usually, people who have persevered and succeeded understand the path, and empathize.)

I'd encourage you to not feel that you're weak, and let that discourage you. If you're just in the starting stages, you have the most gigantic upside . . . and clearly, you're wanting to improve, willing to work at that. That's huge!

Personally, I started being active in my mid/late 40s, right after the whole 9 yards of cancer treatment (surgery, chemo, radiation, 7 years of drug treatment afterward). I'd never been athletic - one of those "chosen last in gym class" kids, never routinely active as an adult. I was obese, weak, uncoordinated, etc. Just chipping away at improving, gradually, within a few years I'd (luckily) found my addictive sport, and was actually competing . . . not always unsuccessfully, even. Things have continued to get better from there.

You can surprise yourself, I promise: Patient progress is rewarded, and the quality of life rewards are absolutely huge.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    We can support each other!
  • connerratiani
    connerratiani Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’d love to! I have a surgery coming up in 8 weeks and I really would love to lose weight before hand. I can meal prep but my appetite and cravings get the better of me… plus the workout part… lol
  • Rkbals
    Rkbals Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would love to find some people to help motivate and to help me stay motivated. I would even be happy with 10 pounds weight loss but tend to take on the problems of those around me as if it’s my own stress…then suddenly lose motivation. My cholesterol has been high in the past and my husband’s is at a concerning level to his doctor so we are trying to improve our diets for that reason as well!
  • emc132
    emc132 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would love to be part of a support system for weight loss! I gained about 15 pounds in the last year or so and my weight doesn’t usually fluctuate much. I’ve been running regularly since October, but haven’t lost any weight (or inches). I need to get my diet in order and could use some support! It’s always better with accountability.
  • emmaeatsbetter
    emmaeatsbetter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am Emma - I am on a weight loss journey. I have been up and down in weight for years for as long as I can remember to be completely honest😞 sick of always being the biggest girl in the room. I am back on the weight loss train trying to loose around 4 stone. I would love to make some friends on here to chat about our journeys, keep each other motivated and accountablity🌻. I am feeling incredibly lonely in this journey so more than happy for people to add my username as a friend on MFP and happy for a chat!🥰 emma10202022

Would love to have a support system x
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    TamiVsTheTrail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Absolutely looking for more weightloss buddies. I do a lot of hiking and moving back to my living healthy and the weight will come of lifestyle.
  • KL102670
    KL102670 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! 😊