Calories on a Cut

Options
Hey!
I want to do my first cut, and I’m just looking for some advice! What are some things you wish you’d known before cutting?
I’ve worked for the last year on increasing my maintenance calories from 1,600 - 2,000. How many calories should I drop for a successful cut? My bf% is around 18.5%, I’m looking to get it to 16.5%.

Replies

• neffybetty
    neffybetty Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah, is the maximum amount of calories to cut per day, still 1000, or can you take out more if you are cutting?
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    GENERALLY, people will look at a deficit of 500 calories per day (by upping activity or lowering intake) to equate the 3500 calories per week. OF COURSE, there are tons of other processes (water weight/hormone balances/NEAT/etc) that will impact if what you see on the scale reflects what you "think" you're losing. START at something reasonable (FOR EXAMPLE, if you maintain 2000 mix/match with increased activity or lowered calorie intake to meet "around" 1500. You're not going to match it perfectly anyway) and give it two weeks and see if you notice changes (scale or mirror). IT'S NOT A RACE.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    If by "cut" you mean the part of a bulk & cut cycle where you're trying to trim some fat without losing much if any of the muscle you gained during the bulk cycle, you should be going for a small deficit (say, 200 to 300 calories) from your maintenance calories. The bigger your deficit, the more muscle you risk losing during your cut.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If by "cut" you mean the part of a bulk & cut cycle where you're trying to trim some fat without losing much if any of the muscle you gained during the bulk cycle, you should be going for a small deficit (say, 200 to 300 calories) from your maintenance calories. The bigger your deficit, the more muscle you risk losing during your cut.

Yep. When I increased my calories, although my weight never changed (I’m on the heavier end of healthy), my body composition changed a lot. But I think rather than bulking and gaining weight I want to start with a cut in order to showcase all the muscle I’ve gained in the past year and give me grounds to work with when I bulk! I’m thinking a 250-300 calorie deficit maybe?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    FWIW, there's a whole thread about cuttine in the Most Helpful Posts section of the Gaining Weight and Body Building part of the MFP Community. Might be some useful info there? Direct link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10320115/cutting-techniques-post-bulk/p1