1200 calories

Options
Done one week on 1200 calls, 5 foot 2, 10 9 weight. Drunk 2 litres water daily, no choc crisp cakes biscuits potatoes bread bananas. Average daily steps 7 to 9000. Have not lost any weight. Any thoughts please xx

Replies

• KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Are you saying your current weight is 109 lbs or 10 stone 9 lbs (so 149 lbs?)?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,186 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are: one week is nothing, you need to take a longer term view and be more patient. If you haven't lost weight after a month/menstrual cycle, then it's time to reevaluate.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week?

You weighed yourself fully clothed, before going to the bathroom, after a night partying with sodium?

No choc crisp cakes biscuits potatoes bread bananas is no way to live? :)

Geeeeez, not even bananas? It's fruit!

But, seriously, the first two things.

And the third.
  • scattyannie88
    scattyannie88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes 10 stone 9 age 65 x
  • scattyannie88
    scattyannie88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 too low ?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    One week is nothing. Be patient. It might take a few weeks to see any weight loss.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 too low ?

Probably not at your height and age, but that depends on your own individual body. To start, if you set MFP at 1 lb per week, and that's what it recommended, I'd stick with ot for a few weeks, then adjust depending on how things are going (rate of loss/gain)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options
    Yes 10 stone 9 age 65 x

I agree with those above: One week is too short a time to evaluate. At 65, presumably you're in menopause, so give it 4-6 weeks, then adjust goal calories if needed.

Things like changes in water retention and digestive contents (on their way to becoming waste) can hide fat loss on the scale for a surprisingly long time, especially right after a change in eating & activity habits.

You also don't have lots to lose, presumably, at 10st 9 and 5'2". (Theoretically, you're in the mid-overweight range, not obese. Normal weight range for 5'2" would be 9st 10 (136 pounds) down to 7st 3 (101 pounds). I'm not saying the perfect weight for you is in that range for sure (individuals vary), but it does suggest that unless your build is unusual, you'd likely fall into the category of wanting a moderate total weight loss, not a huge loss.)

In that "not lots to lose" scenario, slow loss is a good plan, like the 1 pound a week suggested above, and slower is fine. I don't know about you, but I'm less resilient to stress as I age (currently 66, BTW) compared to my younger self, and weight loss/calorie deficit is a stressor, even if a worthwhile one. Managing/moderating stress is also managing/moderating health risk: A good thing.

I'd bet that the "MFP process", followed accurately can yield results, at any age. I lost from 13st 1 (183 pounds) to around 8st 13 (125 pounds) at age 59, in a bit under a year, and have been at a healthy weight since, relying on MFP and calorie counting.

Hang in there - you can succeed with your goals!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thoughts....
    Judge your progress over weeks, not seven days. My rule of thumb is that after every change of routine (diet or exercise) give it four weeks for the true effects of that change to emerge.

Would suggest 1lb a week weight loss in the guided set up would be fine for you to start off with but remember 1lb is easily asked by totally normal (and to be expected and ignored!) weight fluctuations that have nothing to do with fat loss or gain.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Your body is not a simple math formula. Stop getting this mindset. Look at long term and overall health. Water weight, hormones, NEAT, daily activity all impact what you see on the scale vs how you look. Add in a long term change you can COMMIT to and look at results after 3-4 weeks.