Hummus??

Options
hsh0927
hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
After hearing all the great reviews, I've been considering trying hummus. I would love some recipes for it though (= I plan on buying the already made kind and just adding to it for different flavors. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks everybody! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hummus is omg yummy. I eat the Sabra brand, usually either the Classic or the Roasted Garlic (make sure to have some gum or brush your teeth cuz its garlicky to the max).
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I really like the roasted garlic. I use it on wraps and sandwiches like I would mayo.
  • missangela1986
    Options
    I've always just used it to dip carrots or wheat thins or pita bread in...Never tried it in a meal or spiced with other things.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My hummus recipes never turn out tasting as good as I expect, so I just buy the Sabra brand from the store. I haven't found a flavor that I haven't liked, lol.
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I buy the Sabra brand also - I use it with wheat thins, I use like mayo on tortilla wraps, I use it to dip veggies - yummy!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Agree Sabra is THE best of the store brands. I like it with pita bread, pretzel crackers, calamata (sp?) olives, carrots, grape tomatoes. But it will go with lots of other stuff as well.
  • LolaVaantz
    LolaVaantz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it is costco that carries the Sabra brand with 4 different mix ins in the center (pine nuts, garlic, peppers etc.), really tasty and you can try out a lot of flavors that way. I personally really like the roasted garlic with just about anything.
    I've had the real thing at resaurants but have never made it myself, I just get the premade kind.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I spread it on seeded/wholemeal bread, add rocket, avocado, falafel, tomato and make a sandwich.
  • ElyzahMoore
    ElyzahMoore Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also eat the Sabra brand . . . roasted red pepper is my favorite!
  • jamiefire7
    Options
    I have had good luck with this SIMPLE recipe... I LOVE hummus!! I love it with crackers, veggies, pita bread or just on toast... enjoy!!!

3 cans of garbonzo beans (drained)
    2/3 - 3/4 of a bulb of garlic finely chopped - better if you roast the garlic
    olive oil - just a tad
    small amount of the juice/oil from the beans
    cumin
    garnish with paprika

Blend the beans, garlic and cumin until well blended. Add a tad (maybe a tablespoon or two) of the olive oil an the juice/oil from the beans until the hummus reaches the right consistancy. Top with paprika and serve with pita chips or carrots or any other assorted veggies.

Yummmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i love hummus!!! i put it on turkey wraps and sandwiches. i also put in on my boca burgers!
  • briarashley
    Options
    i make my own because a lot of the already made ones have oil and preservatives in them. i soak the chickpeas over night then slowly boil them for an hour, blend them up with some of the water you boiled them in, lots of garlic, some lemon juice and coriander is really good plus some salt and pepper. i dont really have a recipe i just play around and add stuff to taste, every batch tastes different!
  • wvfrog22
    Options
    I love hummus and recently made my own. Easier to control the calories since others seem loaded with oil. I don't cook and this was super simple to make!
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i've made it before..its tricky to make...especially if you dont have Tahini which really gives it that flavor..other wise its just garbanzo beans, add in roasted red peper or roasted garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, tahini and blend it all together. its really easy to make, just getting the constistancy is the trick and the flavor. i've always bought it..i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE hummus...with homemade whole wheat flat bread or pita chips...mmmmmmmm so creamy and delicious! my fav is the flat bread though, i could eat a whole container!

they also have white bean hummus now....
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Do you have any organic stores in your area? I don't usually get most of my food organic, but I LOVE the fresh hummus at my town's organic grocery store - trust me - Hummus is best FRESH! But if you can't get it fresh you can make it, or buy it :) I recommend cutting up a red or orange pepper, or cucumbers and eating it with that.
  • canela023
    canela023 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love hummus too and agree that Sabra is the best. I also can't seem to get it right when i make it myself. I use Tahini in mine, isn't that what your supposed to use?
  • mollykat73
    mollykat73 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This takes about 5 minutes to make in a food processor and is delicous!

Black Bean Hummus

Ingredients:
    1 clove garlic
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans; drain and reserve liquid
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    10 Greek olives

Directions:
    1.Mince garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Add black beans, 2 tablespoons reserved liquid, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, tahini, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper; process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add additional seasoning and liquid to taste. Garnish with paprika and Greek olives.
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hommous is super delish i love love it to much, for me the best way is with a wholemeal tortilla wrap salad and toms is awesome do try it.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I also eat the Sabra brand . . . roasted red pepper is my favorite!

^This, I like it best with a spoon, its cleaner than using my fingers...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wow, Sabra is really popular. I buy it too because it is the only brand at my local grocery that has individual serviing packs. But if you read the ingredients, their hummus, while yummy, is not traditional. Traditionally hummus is made with olive oil, but Sabra uses soybean and/or canola.