Delicious, sweet, moist, vegan, chocolatey cupcakes for two

Options
Barelmy
Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
These cupcakes are so good, seriously. They're not exactly low-cal, which is why the recipe only makes enough for two. Cupcakes are a sometimes food, and it's a pain to make a batch just to have to figure out who to give them to so you don't have them in the house, calling to you to eat them all.

This is a scaled down version of Chloe Coscarelli's strawberry shortcake cupcakes ( http://www.chefchloe.com/blog/2-blog/17-first-vegan-to-win-on-the-food-network.html ). You can experiment with microwaving them if you like, but I baked them. I think baking is better; then, every time you want a cupcake or two, you need to get the ingredients out, then wait for twenty minutes for it to be cooked.:D

008.jpg

Ingredients

* 3 Tbsp Plain Flour
* 2 Tbsp Demerara Sugar
* 2 Tsp Cocoa Powder
* 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
* 2 Tbsp Non-Dairy Milk or Water
* 1 Tbsp Oil
* 3/4 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
* 1/8 Tsp Vanilla

1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another. Add one to the other.
2. Mix, and separate into two cupcake cases. Go ahead and lick the bowl, you're not about to get salmonella from vinegar. Plus, the calories are already accounted for in the ingredients, if you plan to eat both yourself.
3. Fill cases 2/3 full, and bake for 15-20 minutes.

The way I made them, these came out to 141 calories, 18g of carbs, 3g of protein, 8g of fat, 1g of sugar, and 1g of fibre. They're soft, moist, and yummy! They are slightly high in fat, which is why they're a sometimes food.

If you didn't lick the bowl, you could probably scrape together three cupcakes instead of two, which, if you share them, should lower the calories even more.

As you can see, I iced my cupcakes, but, honestly? The cakes are so sweet that adding the icing is just overkill. Like, seriously, I-feel-really-terrible-from-all-that-sugar overkill. Do it if you like, but I really don't recommend scaling down the icing from the original recipe. Make up your own icing, in much smaller amounts.

Recipe from my blog [ http://vegan20eleven.blogspot.com/ ].

Replies

• Barelmy
    Options
    Oh, idea! Make 3, and ice "I <3 U" on them! Genius!:D
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!

How long did the original recipe tell you to microwave and what power level?
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Barelmy
    Options

The original recipe was baked too, but I've seen recipes for mug cakes which are similar proportions and microwaved. I'd say microwave for a minute, and see what happens.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

The original recipe was baked too, but I've seen recipes for mug cakes which are similar proportions and microwaved. I'd say microwave for a minute, and see what happens.

Thanks!! I'll give it a try after my WO tonight.
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Another yummy bump.
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious and I will try them! Thanks for the recipe! :flowerforyou:
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Ooh looks good!
  • cbuscema
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. My daughter is vegan and I am always looking for good things for her to try.

(Just a note for us with American ovens. Gas mark 4 = 350 degrees!!)

Cheryl
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    BUMP!