Racing heart????

Options
2»

Replies

• nivek
    nivek Posts: 16
    Options
    on the treadmill once and heart went to 190 bpm. freaked me out. Went to Dr. and all was well , just a freak event.
    89115.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    on the treadmill once and heart went to 190 bpm. freaked me out. Went to Dr. and all was well , just a freak event.
    89115.png

I've hit 187 while swimming hard sprint sets sometimes, but as long as it drops down fairly quick, I'm not worried about it. I think 189 is my all time high, but I tend to stay in the 150-170 when exercising.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    89115.png

I've hit 187 while swimming hard sprint sets sometimes, but as long as it drops down fairly quick, I'm not worried about it. I think 189 is my all time high, but I tend to stay in the 150-170 when exercising.

This has me thinking - I often push my heart up to 180 at some point during my workout (almost daily) and workout for most of the hour with a rate of 150-160.... I'm wondering if this is just too high...
    :ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It's been a few days, and I've been resting (not feeling great)... but BIG HUGS AND THANKS to all of you! You all made me feel soooo much better (especially those who've had a similar experience and all is well). :heart:

The doctor on Monday thought it was lots of caffeine in the morning, then the wine tasting tour in the afternoon, then cocktails, paired with my lack of sleep in the trip (I'm from Toronto and was in California) anxiety of flying, and whamo.....

I have a follow up tomorrow. Thanks again for all the support! No exercise for me yet (I'm scared) and my energy is really really dragging.

Thanks again for all the support! You're great people!
    :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou:
  • kimbey76
    kimbey76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    89115.png

This has me thinking - I often push my heart up to 180 at some point during my workout (almost daily) and workout for most of the hour with a rate of 150-160.... I'm wondering if this is just too high...

When I first started running my heart rate always went up to 190, after a few weeks when I ran it still went up to between 160-170, I have been working out with my heart rate at this level, is this too much?
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This happened to me 1) when I first realized I had hypertension and 2) when I get the recommended amount of potassium in my diet and supplement it with a potassium pill...glad to hear you are doing better though and that your doctor scheduled a follow up...
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I think (or thought) as long as you are under 85% of your maximum (220-age) you are okay, however it might just be too much! I've been reading a lot lately about runners and cyclists who can't get their hearts down, and their hearts race for hours after they stop the exertion, at rate in the high one hundreds.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Prolonged high heart rate after exertion is a sign of a cardiovascular problem. Anyone experiencing this should inform their doctor and get tests to find out what is causing it.

And Laura, did your doctor prescribe the potassium supplement for you? Is he aware that you're taking it? I hope you're following medical advice and not taking it unsupervised.

For everyone who doesn't know this: Excess potassium can cause a heart attack. The "lethal injection" is potassium chloride!

Be very careful with supplements!