Still short calories daily

Options
What are some ways to add extra calories in?
I feel like I eat so much already but am still short 300-600 calories daily.

I am trying for a high protein diet. I don't understand macros so just counting calories regularly.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Fat is the easiest one to add - more calories per gram than carbs and protein. Options: olive (or other vegetable) oil on your salad, avocado, nuts, fatty fish, full fat dairy...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Why the high protein? It's not a great way to eat in general.

Eat more fatty meat. Bacon. Pork, steak.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I feel like I eat so much already but am still short 300-600 calories daily.

How do you feel? Are you active and able to maintain your desired energy level? I tend to let my body tell me what it needs and eat healthy when I'm hungry and skip meals when I'm not. I figure my system knows where to get the calories it needs from my abundant storage so I just let it do it's thing. I do take vitamin and mineral supplements everyday to make sure my micronutrient needs are being met.

How much protein are you aiming for? Are you spreading it out over the day with different types? Our bodies can only absorb so much protein per meal, the rest goes into fat storage or is eliminated as waste. I think it is worth the time and effort to understand the body's macronutrient needs.

• Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options

High protein works for a lot of people, just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean its not a good option for someone else.
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

All these are great sources of protein actually. Which is recommended by most experts when you are in a significant weight loss phase so you don't suffer excessive muscle loss.
  • ashabjarnason
    ashabjarnason Posts: 6 Member
    Options

High protein diet is great for building muscle.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    High fat foods. Whole eggs, whole milk yogurt, peanut butter/nut butters, avocado, oil. You can also drink your food
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

High protein diet is great for building muscle.

Right - I know that. Maybe it would help if you define "high." Building muscle mostly comes down to progressively heavier lifting. Too much protein is not really a great thing and if you're allowing protein to crowd out other nutrition something is off.

High to me would be over the recommended amount of 1.2g-1.5g per kilogram...so maybe we're just having a semantics discussion. That amount is easy enough for me to meet daily without feeling overly full, and I still get my fiber, vegetables and fats.

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/#summary6