Gone from 115Kg to 91Kg not convinced 80kg will get me where i want. Thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me was an increased focus on what my body could do, rather than what it looked like.
    I started running, couch to 5k to start with, then a half marathon, then on from there. I had a plan to follow and tick off, I could see progress (Even if it was just getting a little bit further up the hill!) I had an event to complete. Never worried about time, just showing up and not quitting.

The number on the scale can be all over the place, but inches lost don't just re-appear. A pb is worth more to me than my wobbly stomach. Food is about properly fuelling in terms of nutrition and quantity.
    More than that, being outside almost every day does very good things for my mental health. The happier I am the better I take care of myself in all respects.

YMMV, but it might be worth thinking about different ways to measure success.
  • millac68
    millac68 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me was an increased focus on what my body could do, rather than what it looked like.
    I started running, couch to 5k to start with, then a half marathon, then on from there. I had a plan to follow and tick off, I could see progress (Even if it was just getting a little bit further up the hill!) I had an event to complete. Never worried about time, just showing up and not quitting.

The number on the scale can be all over the place, but inches lost don't just re-appear. A pb is worth more to me than my wobbly stomach. Food is about properly fuelling in terms of nutrition and quantity.
    More than that, being outside almost every day does very good things for my mental health. The happier I am the better I take care of myself in all respects.

YMMV, but it might be worth thinking about different ways to measure success.

I appreciate what you're saying but i think both are important.

I want to be able to tolerate myself.

It's great I can do more which is why I'm feeling that attempting to lose weight at this current stage may feel like diminishing returns. Maybe things will change in the future.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I think belly fat is the absolute hardest to lose. I've lost 50 pounds and I still have a big belly. My legs, arms, chest area (figures) and face have all slimmed down nicely. But my belly still protrudes out further than I would like. But...4 weeks ago I was in size 14 jeans. Went shopping this past weekend and came home with size 10s! So while I am still layering my clothes, I know that even my belly is shrinking. Photos are a great way to see the evidence. But do you use a measuring tape? When you look in the mirror and just see a big stomach, it's really hard to see anything else. But if you look at the line on the measuring tape and see that you've lost x inches, it's so satisfying. Good luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    Options
    Asian born people I was doing business with used to rub my "Buddha belly" for good luck. And call me "big boy", in Chinese. The vast majority of them far from maliciously.

In fact some, who remain friends, have lamented that they sort of miss doing so! My own perception of their actions may have been different.

And I have no intention of providing them with a rubbing belly if I can help it! :lol:
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! Just keep doing what you are doing. We all want to be magically smaller like right away, but it just doesn't work like that. Sweat, blood and tears, and a heckofa lot of hard work. And yes, dieting is hard work! No matter what diet you are doing. You look young. Your stomach fat will go away. Your body just needs to catch up. Someone mentioned collagen up thread. As a young man, you still have plenty of that. At my age, I don't. So just keep doing what you are doing. Once you hit 80k, do maintenance for a while. Let things shift around and I bet you will start noticing differences even as your weight doesn't change.
  • millac68
    Options
    So got myself sitting around 88/89kg.

Not been exercising as much but the weight is at least stabilizing. Which is good considering it can be easy to put back on.

Not been feeling very comfortable in my own skin though and it's been weighing me down a bit mentally.

Honestly not sure what to do next but may as well keep plugging.

It's nice to feel a bit healthier and less lethargic but sometimes I feel I have an endless supply of belly fat.

Is it really one of those last places to go?
  • emailnumber308
    emailnumber308 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party and I'm sure whatever I say won't help because I think you have some body image issues that you have to work through. Lord knows I have my own, but I wish you weren't so hard on yourself. I know healthy is subjective but I wouldn't know by those photos that you were overweight, definitely not by 25lbs. You've made great progress and the progress you've made looks good on you. I'd say focus on other things but I also understand wanting to feel attractive too. Anyways, keep doing what you're doing, take breaks when you need to, surround yourself with people who respect you, and take some time to learn something new or do something fun for the purpose of getting your mind off how you look. I was feeling self conscious last week and went to cedar point. I had so much fun with my husband and wasn't even worried about my looks because in the end it never really matters. Good luck 💕🤗
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hey, it looks like you are doing a great job. 12 years ago I lost 100 lbs at 5'9", from 255 to 155lbs. The first 10 months I lost all 100lbs. I had some sagging skin and didn't look the way I expected to look. Then it look me over a year to look really fit imho. After I lost the weight, as I continued a mostly running and some upper body regimen, I weighed about 160lbs and changed my body composition over 18 to 24 months to where I thought I looked "magazine fit."

But it was a nightmare to maintain peak fitness all year round. It was really miserable because my body would fight me and would require me to raise my intensity and vary the exercises to maintain. I decided that I did not want to peak all year round and chose 4 climbs to peak per year, then 3 then 2. Then I lost interest for a while. Then I regained interest. While being "magazine fit" is fun, it is really a pain in the *kitten*.

Here in 2010 @255lbs and 40 years old:
    vtfctwb83vle.jpg

Here in 2011 @155lbs having lost 100 lbs. Not really "magazine fit."
    e97v8w6xsgz7.jpg

Here in 2022 @160lbs looking more "magazine fit." Really hard to maintain. This picture was taken after a 14 mile run up the west side of Manhattan from Battery Park (the southern tip) to the George Washington Bridge (way up north).
    8k1xuuhh03l3.jpg

There are lots of roads in life, Choose the one that fits you. Some of the roads in life are challenging and hard, but you only live once, so why not go for it and fly as far as you can. Best of luck to you dude. When you get down, don't give up on yourself. :)

• millac68
    Options
    Honestly just keeping going.

I know I'm carrying more body fat than I'd like to so losing some weight is going to help that.

I think it will take a while to really get the ideal composition but it seems like it's not necessarily impossible.

I appreciate the comments any how.

When I get nearer my tough mudder, I'll do another update.