Looking for a light alternative to hamburger bun?

Options
Can you please give me the names of some good tasting low-calorie hamburger buns please. Today I am over my cals and I know I could've stand on target if it weren't for the bun. I am trying to eat healthier while still feeding a family of four my husband too who isn't dieting.

Thanks!

Tina

Replies

• dez_yaoichan
    Options
    natures own sanwich rounds. they're flat (about 1/2 inch for both parts) but hold up good.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we are able to find slider buns, which are just right for the slider-sized burgers that my family makes. One of them is around 100 calories. If we can't find slider buns, then I just use half a regular bun. It's still plenty of bun for the burger. (Which sounds kind of obscene but that's not intentional.)

You can also take hot dog or brat buns and cut them in half. Not quite the right shape but closer to the right size.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Lettuce. Yum.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    natures own sanwich rounds. they're flat (about 1/2 inch for both parts) but hold up good.

This....or you could just wrap your burger + toppings in a leaf or two of iceberg lettuce. That's how Carl's Jr and In and Out serve their protein style burgers.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Arnold's Thins.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    arnolds sandwich thins.
  • sfinsterys
    sfinsterys Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Arnold Select Sandwich Thins (used to be Brownberry Farms) are pretty good and only 100 calories.
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For sure the 100 cal, whole grain burger flat buns!!!!!!!!
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    English muffin.
  • dlovesjimma
    dlovesjimma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bed of lettuce, or whole grain sandwich thins.
  • koseka
    koseka Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee 80 Calorie Wheat Buns. I really like them and my husband and children even eat them and haven't said anything about them not being good.
  • asedersten
    Options
    I grocery shop at Wal-Mart and I have found two different kind of hamburger buns that are low in fat/calories. Wonder Bread makes a whole where low calorie one and I can't remember the name of the other brand, but it's 1/3 less fat, and very few calories. Both are delicious!
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I like Sara Lee 100% whole wheat thin style buns or Eating Right sandwich slenders. I eat them all the time. Or you can wrap your burger around a big leaf of lettuce.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I really like the healthy life 80 calorie buns... yum yum! : )
  • jenniefromtherock
    Options
    I like the Weight Watchers whole wheat buns, 110 calories and 1 gr of fat!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My Giant supermarket makes fresh baked kaiser rolls (smaller size). They are the perfect size for hamburgers and they're only 84 calories. No preservatives either. Perhaps the bakery at your grocery store has something similar?
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

This....or you could just wrap your burger + toppings in a leaf or two of iceberg lettuce. That's how Carl's Jr and In and Out serve their protein style burgers.

Protein burgers? Doesn't hamburger already have protein?
  • milkinitnow
    Options
    You can buy these buns at Superstore (not sure where you are), but they are called Burger First. Super thin. Weight Watchers makes a pita bread as well that you could try. Or, just use a Romaine leaf to hold it all in there. That is a super good healthy alternative..
  • arispawild
    Options
    Can you please give me the names of some good tasting low-calorie hamburger buns please. Today I am over my cals and I know I could've stand on target if it weren't for the bun. I am trying to eat healthier while still feeding a family of four my husband too who isn't dieting.

Thanks!

Tina

Arnolds Sandwhich thins- wheat
    Lettuce
    Even just wheat bread
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Protein burgers? Doesn't hamburger already have protein?

Protein style is what you ask for at the restaurant to let them know you don't want the carby bun.

And, for the OP, as others have mentioned, Sara Lee makes an 80 cal bun that isn't bad. (it has HFCS in it, if you're someone that avoids it). Wonder Bread also has an 80 cal bun that is hard to find but tasty and I believe has no HFCS. And just look in the bread section for sandwich things. Most companies make 'em these days and that includes store brands. They have regular ones, "naturals", wheat, white, honey wheat, etc. Check labels for whichever one you like best for flavor/calorie/additives combo. Pita bread can also be found for about 90 cal a serving and hold a burger pretty well. I actually use a low carb high protein sliced bread for my burgers. (I just make the burger patty square instead of round) So there's lots of options out there