Feeling discourage, looking for tips and guidance

Options
I'm finishing up my 4th week of my weightloss jorney. Ive started off with a goal of 20 miles a week ( walking fast past im not ready for running yet about a 3.5 speed on treadmill ( 17-18 min mile) i seem to be faster outside, this has worked well for me in the past and something ive enjoyed so i felt like it would be a good start to start some good habits. I feel really good but i stood on the scale and ive actually gained two pounds. I have been logging my food and staying in a calorie deficit. Do you find this to be normal or is this something i should be looking into more?

Replies

• DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Do you find this to be normal or is this something i should be looking into more?

Judging by past comments of other members, yes it is normal, and not something to be concerned with at all. Give the new routine a little more time. You are doing the right things and it will pay off.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I would only suggest that you're sure you're in a calorie deficit. Some people think that they are weighing and logging correctly, but aren't.

Yes, give it time, but if nothing happens, then start cutting 100 calories weekly off your deficit. When you reach a point where you start losing--that will be your deficit.

Good luck.
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You are probably walking faster that I am running currently. :) I think that you should focus on a longer term view. What and how many positive things can I introduce into my lifestyle that 1, 2, 5 years down the road will make me the healthiest, happiest person? That is a question that needs long-term goals. To reach those goals, you should check in with your plan and discuss with others going through a similar journey, but you have to believe in yourself and what you are doing to reach your goals. Take daily weigh-ins as an opportunity to solve a puzzle about your life, and know that solving it will improve your life. It is not the end goal that matters, but how you played the game of life, how you dealt with those around you and how you were able to make this a better world for those around you, including you. Hope that you don't get discouraged and fight hard and smart to obtain everything you want in life. <3 Unless you have evil goals. Then I hope you fail. :)
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating calories eaten? Food scale? If so, I would shave 100 calories off assuming that none of us are perfect at logging.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,496 Member
    Options
    I use calculator.net Link: https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=63&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=3&cpound=172&cheightmeter=180&ckg=65&cactivity=1.465&cmop=0&coutunit=c&cformula=m&cfatpct=20&printit=0&x=0&y=0

to see if I am eating enough calories. I WAS NOT!! Because of that I was not losing. Once I upped them,,,, I've been losing about 1 lb a week (I started 8 weeks ago at 180 and am now 172) I had lost 7.5 lbs! WOOHOO!!

BUT I also needed support. I belong to the 5% Challenge, on the 5% Challenge we work on having healthy habits and we get to help our team within the 5% (There are 8 teams) to see which team wins the overall points. Since you exercise well, WOOHOO ANY TEAM you choose will LOVE having you, and in turn you'll have the support we all need. Its so exciting to lose the weight, but when it slows down, well support is badly needed.

ANYONE can join. After you join the 5% please pick a team to be on. I totally LOVE being on the 5% and hope you'll join us!!!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143186-2022-summer-5-challenge-community-opens-for-joining-6-5-22
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    OP, if I'm doing the math right, it looks like you are walking on average 1 hour per day. That should be pretty good. If you are going from sedentary to that level, you could easily be retaining water from the activity. I'd give it 2 more weeks, then if I didn't see any progress, I'd consider not eating back any exercise calories for a few weeks and see what that does. If still no progress, I'd open my food log and ask for help reviewing.

Good luck - I think logging what you eat and regularly exercising will pay off.
  • rosenberrypam
    rosenberrypam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle. Take some measurements. Sounds like you are on the right track.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,678 Member
    Options
    I use calculator.net Link: https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=63&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=3&cpound=172&cheightmeter=180&ckg=65&cactivity=1.465&cmop=0&coutunit=c&cformula=m&cfatpct=20&printit=0&x=0&y=0

to see if I am eating enough calories. I WAS NOT!! Because of that I was not losing. Once I upped them,,,, I've been losing about 1 lb a week (I started 8 weeks ago at 180 and am now 172) I had lost 7.5 lbs! WOOHOO!!

BUT I also needed support. I belong to the 5% Challenge, on the 5% Challenge we work on having healthy habits and we get to help our team within the 5% (There are 8 teams) to see which team wins the overall points. Since you exercise well, WOOHOO ANY TEAM you choose will LOVE having you, and in turn you'll have the support we all need. Its so exciting to lose the weight, but when it slows down, well support is badly needed.

ANYONE can join. After you join the 5% please pick a team to be on. I totally LOVE being on the 5% and hope you'll join us!!!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143186-2022-summer-5-challenge-community-opens-for-joining-6-5-22

@Dianedoessmiles1 Thanks for the link! I've done many challenges (Hogwarts, GoT, Biggest Loser) but am always looking for something new and a place to meet new people. I just joined! B)
  • emmaeatsbetter
    emmaeatsbetter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am Emma - I am on a weight loss journey. I have been up and down in weight for years for as long as I can remember to be completely honest😞 sick of always being the biggest girl in the room. I am back on the weight loss train trying to loose around 4 stone. I would love to make some friends on here to chat about our journeys, keep each other motivated and accountablity🌻. I am feeling incredibly lonely in this journey so more than happy for people to add my username as a friend on MFP and happy for a chat!🥰 emma10202022

Would love to have a support system x
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    It's not been very long so be patient. But if you are gaining over the medium or long term, you are not in a caloric deficit. You are either underestimating caloric intake from what you are eating or over estimating calories expended through exercise. It's not much more complicated than that. The walking you are doing is great. But, for context, for me walking one hour at a moderate pace outside will expend about 100 calories over and above my BMR. Going faster on an inclined treadmill may expend twice that. It's not a lot when you consider how fast one can consume 100-200 calories. It's the rough equivalent of a table spoon of mayonnaise. Or a banana. Measure your food carefully and double check nutritional information from credible sources. Once you are in a true caloric deficit, you will see results.