Weight Loss

Options
Who is relying on running and mindful eating on this journey? How is that working for you?

Replies

• FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Running. Some upper body resistance. Eating better. So far so good. :)
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    vbab26 wrote: »
    Who is relying on running and mindful eating on this journey? How is that working for you?

I don't run, but I hike and eat mindfully (but not intuitively). I don't calorie count anymore for the most part... I regularly check my weight, and if it creeps up too much, then I'll go back to calorie counting for a brief period to remind myself about how much I need to be eating.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do not like running, but I do walk a lot. As for mindful eating… I hope to do it one day but I have gotten to the point where all my meals are memorized to the gram.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I cycle for fitness and enjoyment but not for weight loss.
    This year I actually did the reverse of losing weight through diet to improve my cycling

Monitoring my weight trend and mindful eating works for me in long term weight maintenance although I did calorie count for precision when I lost the majority of my weight.

I still log my exercise as it's highly variable, often huge calorie burns and gives me a good idea of my intake requirements which compliments the mindful awareness of needs vs wants.
    (An intuitive eating experiment years ago took me to my highest ever weight!)
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I haven't ran since like...high school. Too much risk for little reward (google it). For HEALTH, I only focus on strength and LISS.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Run if that is what works for you. For me, I think my joints have suffered enough just supporting my extra weight over the years. I don't want to risk mobility via injury - even for a short time. I'd rather get my heart rate up by briskly walking, incline treadmill, swimming. Light resistance lifting a few times a week to maintain muscle. I don't log or count steps but do try to be more active throughout each day. Heavy exercise is not going to burn up enough calories to matter. Cardio-Vascular health is more important to me than toning my body, but I'm getting old.

As the saying goes, "You can't outrun your fork." Mindful eating helps more than I would have ever imagined. Educating myself on what things to eat and what not to eat has been an important part of eating better while not being hungry.