Music festival tips for big girls

Options
Welp, my boyfriend and I are going to our first music festival together, we were a COVID couple who met doing stand up comedy. To me , I envision I will have some challenges my very skin y boyfriend will not be facing. From clothing, to needing to sit more often, to find a float I can get on myself for the river stage. Just basically everything and I know there's a lot I'm not thinking of. I am steady losing weight to get back down to my precovid size but I got to at least be in shape for this (it's July 15th, and we are in California where it's crazy hot lol)

Please leave any comments, tops, tricks, advice, suggestions, prayers . . . Lol

Let me know what I should bring that I'm not thinking of and how to survive this with this extra 85 pounds on me. I've gotten some dope outfits and Shein but if anyone else knows some affordable plus size festival clothing lmk please!

Thanks in advance, I am having major social anxiety about my body and there's a lot going to be on display that I usually try hard to keep covered on stage at night when in front of people ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ™ƒ

Help lol

Replies

• lessjess22
    lessjess22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a fellow girl that struggles with summer heat. Ideas:

- Drink cold/ice water as much as possible. I know it's probably a bummer but avoid alcohol and caffeine as much as you can because it will only make you run hotter.

- They sell neck fans on Amazon. I have one and it helps when I have to be outside. You could also bring one of those misting fans that are just fans connected to a bottle of water.

- Most summer festivals have cooling stations where you can get misted with water and rest in the shade. Might wanna get familiar with where they are.

- Shade, whenever you can find it.

- I don't know where you're staying, but if you're camping maybe go rest in your tent at the hottest times of day. Your post also sounds like there will be a body of water there, so swim if you can?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Wait, I re-read your post and I see you're going to be performing? Most of the below applies to being in the audience. Except the electrolytes. Break a leg!

Heat intolerance runs in my family and it is not just a bodyweight-related thing.

I ALWAYS carry "Nuun" tabs (electrolytes) to add to my own 20-oz water bottle. I also carry "Gu" to give a little sugar boost when light-headed. (It really can be anything with sugar, but the sports products also have electrolytes and-- optionally-- caffeine, which sometimes also helps.) A good vented sun hat is essential. A battery operated fan is awesome. Don't drink alcohol in the heat!

And, what about stopping by the sports or camping store and picking out your own chair? The backpack style is easiest to carry, can be very sturdy, and some have extra pockets to carry stuff, including a little cooler. (The Tommy Bahama ones are very nice, but there are lots of choices now.)

I hope you have a blast!
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Floats: I have always found the classic donut shaped floats to be the easiest to get end and out of. For one, you can go in from below, and for two, without there being a thin side, I find they are more durable and supportive. There are ones on Amazon with a lower back rest and cup holders which can hold up to 300 pounds. I am making an assumption that, as a woman, 85 pound overweight still puts you under that mark.

For non-swimsuit days: sundresses! Loose fitting, light weight material both covers your skin to protect you from the sun and helps you regulate body temperature. They also look cute. Pair it with a sunhat mentioned above. For chaffing, either rub some solid stick deodorant on your thighs or invest in some warm weather shorts to wear underneath the sundress. I recommend Under Armour HeatGear, which runs up to 3x.

Know the signs of heat exhaustion, and don't let to progress to heat stroke.

Sunscreen! If you braid or hair or tie it up (which I would recommend), have BF apply sunscreen to your upper back and neck for you. It's a part of the body which isn't normally sun-exposed. Also, don't forget to reapply it every so often.

As noted above, electrolytes and water are important. So is food. Don't eat heavy but don't skip meals.

If staying in a hotel, take showers at the end of the day, not the beginning, and run them a little cooler than you're used to.

Lastly, you will see the same amount of stage in the middle of the crowd as you will in the back, but the back will be cooler. If you can't get to the front, ease yourself to the edges.
  • thatbeautifulchick
    thatbeautifulchick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ty all for your cments and advice! I'm super excited, been walking a few hills daily to get ready, maybe an hour for walking but it's something.

I am very nervous about not being able to keep up with my bf or our group. They are all very small and fit people. The one benefit I have is that I don't drink or partake in anything lol. So my body will be healthier for the endurance needed there. I'm basically the group mom, but this is my first time we have gotten away from the kiddos to enjoy a few days alone, I don't want to look like the group mom ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    You've gotten great tips from this crowd. My only additional one would be that once you get there, drop your anxieties and worries and have fun. You will have done what you can to get ready and be healthy, so enjoy yourself. And remember that we all look at ourselves in a much harsher light than the others around us do. I know that I am 20 pounds heavier than I was 5 years ago, but I'm still able to do the activities I want, and in spite of those extra pounds, my adult female bodied children aren't going to hear me complain or say mean things about myself. Instead, rejoice in the fact that you get to go do this awesome experience with your friends! :heart: