Just not fit for running?

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
Are some people just unable to run or jog? I've been trying to add a little into my walking routine but I just don't have the wind or endurance to do it for long. The trail I walk on is great! So I'll pick a spot ahead and run to there, then walk for a bit more, then when my wind picks up again, I'll do the same. Granted, I've just started doing this but have done it before when I was younger and simply could not keep up with it. :(

So I'm wondering if it's not something for me or if I never give it enough time. :( I'm 68 but seem healthy.

Replies

• bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When I started running I was a relatively fit 20 year old and I could do a minute at most. I was quite obese but I was doing well at others sports/exercises. After 8 or so weeks I could run 18 minutes at a time. My pace was still quite slow but at least I wasn't running on will power alone anymore. I decided I kinda hate running so I quit after 6 months or so but at that point I could do about half an hour unbroken.

I think some people are better suited for running than others but I do think it's possible for many people to build up the endurance and fitness to run for longer periods of time. It's just gonna take a lot of patience. I see a lot of people here do couch to 5K and repeating weeks. Maybe that could be helpful for you too.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You're doing the right approach. A few little run intervals in your walk. You can check out the book "Run, Walk, Run."

I think it will be harder at your age. By doing lots of walking, you are strengthening all the muscles you need for running. As you start adding short running intervals, do it on flat paved terrain with good running (not walking) shoes. You can use a timer for your intervals, if you like. But, start very slow to avoid injury. It took me a full year to get comfortable running continuously at a slow pace at the age of 55. I'm still at it at 61.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Thanks all. I don't have running shoes and probably won't get any until(IF) this actually becomes a thing. I've always wanted to be able to run but not quite sure why. I love walking and hiking(though don't go nearly as much as I'd like). Maybe I just figure I want to get places faster, IDK. :)
    I have a dear friend who's 74 and can easily run 20 miles, even if she goes months without running. :/

But thanks again, for everybody's input. I'll try it this summer and see if I make any progress. :)
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don’t agree that some people aren’t suited. If that were the case j wouldn’t be suited. I have RA and lupus and shouldn’t be “able” to run. I started running in 2008 and haven’t looked back. I started slowly and deliberately and have now completed 6 marathons, over 50 half marathons and many many many long runs not counted as races but well over half marathon distance for training. I think awareness and knowledge are key. I researched my sport, invest in quality shoes often, listen to my body and just love it. Run well.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,454 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Yeah. Second the shoes. I couldn’t believe the difference well fitting, quality shoes made for running and walking.

Get ya a tube of Body Glide, too, just to have on hand for the first signs of blisters or chafing.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I think some people just aren’t built to run. I’ve tried C25K probably three times and I’ve just never been able to push through the pain. I can walk FOREVER, but no matter what I’ve tried, running hurts—from (literally) my teeth to my toes. I’ve tried warmups and cooldowns, stretching, foam rolling, saunas, indoors, outdoors, I’ve been heavy, I’ve been lighter, cheap shoes, custom fit running store shoes, in every decade of my adult life and it’s just been miserable every time. I’d say if the challenge is conditioning or endurance, give it time. If it’s persistent pain, I’d just give running a pass.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @COGypsy
    I just finished the c25k about 2 months ago. (I had previously run steady for 2 to 3 years, not running for 10 years and putting on 60 pounds from my fittest prior running).
    I needed the structure to get back to running again.

I had/have days of muscle soreness, but not pain. Side stiches from eating to early prior to a run (2 hour no eat before a run, except half banana before run magic fuel ). Side stiches also from trying to go to fast for my capabilities. (Slow down!!!) Shin splints at first from being unfit, trying to run to fast, but those disappeared within a couple runs.

Not really sure what type of pains you were referring about. Maybe you have an injury aggravated by running? Maybe some of the above?

@ReenieHJ
    I would suggest a good fitted pair of running shoes even when starting, It truly makes a huge difference.

The c25k was a great structure for me personally and I was amazed how quickly I progressed. In the past, I was able to start beginning running by doing what you are currently doing. Run to a certain mark (Rural mailbox to mailbox was my mark). For some reason, this time around I could not progress beyond 1.5 minute run. C25k pushed me to progress. I needed the structure and the PUSH this time around. If you find yourself at a stalemate, you might want to check into the program just to see if it makes a difference for you too. (Zen works ...free app ... ran 3x weekly 8 week course. At the end of the 8 week course, technically you should be able to run a 5k. Not for me, as I was a slow runner. I think within 10 weeks I was running a 5k at my slow time)

I am a slow runner, not naturally athletic. Actually quite a clutz at 54 years old and at the beginning of life :/ . But I enjoy my slow mo runs outside. I like how I am getting healthier and fitter. (Still 25 lbs to go... most likely more as the goal post tends to move).

Best of luck and wishing you happy running.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    @COGypsy
    I just finished the c25k about 2 months ago. (I had previously run steady for 2 to 3 years, not running for 10 years and putting on 60 pounds from my fittest prior running).
    I needed the structure to get back to running again.

I had/have days of muscle soreness, but not pain. Side stiches from eating to early prior to a run (2 hour no eat before a run, except half banana before run magic fuel ). Side stiches also from trying to go to fast for my capabilities. (Slow down!!!) Shin splints at first from being unfit, trying to run to fast, but those disappeared within a couple runs.

Not really sure what type of pains you were referring about. Maybe you have an injury aggravated by running? Maybe some of the above?

I would get muscle soreness, but that wasn’t ever really a big deal. I’ve lifted for long enough that I can deal with that. I would get a lot of joint pain mostly. The usual feet/ankle/shin/hip stuff, but also pain in my shoulders, neck, jaw, and head that would last for 3 or 4 days at a time. Last time I tried running I lived in a second floor walk up and that was so miserable I swore never again. I could usually manage the first couple of weeks of C25K, but once the running time started to build up I just couldn’t keep up with the schedule with the recovery time I needed. So it’s long walks for me these days. Sometimes I’ll jog a bit with my dog, but his little legs are only 5” long, so that doesn’t last long 😝
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Get some good running shoes anyway. You can use them for hiking and walking as well as running.

I had tried to start running a couple of times many years ago. I did the same thing you did, running from telephone pole to telephone pole and I could do it, but I wasn't at all consistent. After a while the effort would fade off and I'd go back to walking and hiking. Then about 10 years ago I was on a dog forum where someone said they were starting C25K and asked if anyone else wanted to join her. A few of us said yes. It made a big difference for me having the structure of the program to get me into a regular schedule of running 3 days a week for half an hour. While I was doing the program, I joined a running forum and read about other people training for races and it sounded like fun, so once I finished C25k I continued running regularly and increased my distances. At this point, I'm 65 and have run 5 marathons.

As stated above, the biggest issue for new runners is to keep the pace slow and easy. No matter how slow you think you are, you are making progress.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Are there bodies that can't run? Sure. I have one. But that's about pre-existing injuries or other unusual pre-existing conditions. (In my case, torn meniscus for which I'm choosing to defer surgery, plus knee/hip osteoarthritis.)

Are some bodies genetically more optimized for fast running than others? Likely. That doesn't mean that the less-optimized bodies can't run.

Slow running, or getting fatigued quickly when running? That's more about conditioning. Conditioning is surprisingly activity specific. You might find that your fitness for X (bicycling, say) is excellent, but your fitness for Y (swimming, say) is not at all good, even though both are cardiovascular exercises involving muscular strength to some extent. Details of the physical adaptation are different, so being fit for one doesn't make you fit for the other (until you train/condition for the other). It may create some advantage, because there's some overlap in capabilities, of course. That sport-specificity even applies to some extent to things as similar as walking and running.

If you're getting out of breath, fatigued, not able to run very far or very fast: That's a conditioning issue. It can improve. It takes patience, and just doing the thing. Others have given good advice above about the how part of it. If you were experiencing joint pain or similar signs of pre-existing limitations, that could be a different matter.

Assuming it's just a conditioning issue, can you become an open-class race winner? Improbable. Can you become an age-group class race winner? More possible, not guaranteed (that's where training commitment and some genetic potential come in). Can you reach the point where you can run a reasonable distance at some steady pace? Almost certainly, as long as none of those injuries or pre-existing physical problems interfere, and you put in the work.

It's another thing that takes persistence, a good plan, and *baby-feline* patience, that's all. 😆
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I ran between 2-5 miles at a time a few times a week for so many years. Around age 39, I had a decline in a spinal problem and now cannot tolerate running (or even elliptical really) because I have developed chronic hip/back pain. I have been staying active but it seems best for me to focus on weight lifting for now to minimize pain. It’s been an odd transition as I used to be really into programs like OrangeTheory too, but I am adjusting fine. Even walking my dog on hilly roads causes a bit of a flare, but I am figuring it out. I am 40 now.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Thank you everybody. I really appreciate all the feedback.

I guess I'll look into new shoes. Only problem with that is my feet are big. :( As in, I have to buy men sizes because women's are usually too tight and uncomfortable. That shouldn't matter, should it?

Plus I need to get more consistent if I want and expect to see better results. :/
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Thank you everybody. I really appreciate all the feedback.

I guess I'll look into new shoes. Only problem with that is my feet are big. :( As in, I have to buy men sizes because women's are usually too tight and uncomfortable. That shouldn't matter, should it?

Plus I need to get more consistent if I want and expect to see better results. :/

not at all, i wear new balance 1080 v12 womans (because their color is so much better than what men offers). size fits perfectly.
    https://www.newbalance.com/pd/fresh-foam-x-1080v12/W1080V12-37427.html
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I had this conversation with my girlfriend yesterday actually, we went for a long hike and ended up on a discussion about running.
    I LOVE running and she just struggles to get into it - don't get me wrong, she's very fit and has in many ways athletically, she can put me to shame, except running.
    My take is this:
    You have to enjoy it, sometimes this comes with time and sometimes it just doesn't.
    Running takes practice for good posture and technique - eventually it becomes less of a toil (for some) and the whole process becomes very enjoyable.
    I've been running most of my life so, I can't really relate to starting out personally but I have trained a good number of people who were training for various events, everything from couch to 5k to marathons and my experience so far is, people either stick at it and start to find that it becomes less of a chore or they just don't enjoy it and don't have the inspiration to find techniques that work for them.

The good thing is - running isn't the only thing out there and for those that don't get into it, there is almost guaranteed to be an exercise that you will love and take to well.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    According to my podiatrist, my physio and my osteopath - my body is not designed to run. I'm hypermobile with incredibly weak ankles and sub-optimal bone density.

However, I love running. I'm very bad at it, but it brings me joy. They told me that if I had to, then I should do no more than 30 minutes 3x a week.

What helps is:

- proper running shoes
    - adequate nutrition & hydration
    - giving yourself some grace
    - an easy route!

You can't go from doing no running at all to suddenly smashing out a 20 minute 5K. What you're doing sounds great and appropriate, but I would consider the shoes you are wearing. If you can get a gait analysis done then you can find the best trainers for your foot type.

If you take your phone out with you, see if you can download a couch to 5K programme. It will get you from walking to running for 30 minutes continuously. I tried it for the first time this year, having initially dismissed it (I've completed a marathon, why would I need this kind of thing?) but it was actually really great at improving my endurance and I was able to run for 30 minutes solid by the end, having previously been a firm advocate of a run/walk approach to everything!

Best of luck, but if you really aren't enjoying running then see if there are other ways to make your walks more challenging.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Are some people just unable to run or jog? I've been trying to add a little into my walking routine but I just don't have the wind or endurance to do it for long. The trail I walk on is great! So I'll pick a spot ahead and run to there, then walk for a bit more, then when my wind picks up again, I'll do the same. Granted, I've just started doing this but have done it before when I was younger and simply could not keep up with it. :(

So I'm wondering if it's not something for me or if I never give it enough time. :( I'm 68 but seem healthy.

I'm not a great distance runner and never have been...even in the Marines when I ran three miles or more daily I was always at the back of the pack on PT tests. I'm currently doing C25K to get back into a little bit of running to mix up my cycling and I'm also doing a bit of swimming. C25K works...most of them are 8-9 weeks and that's about how long it takes to build up to running 30 minutes without stopping to walk. It uses intervals and slowly increases the run times throughout the weeks. I did it years ago when I first started out and it got me into good enough running shape that I could run a 5K, albeit a slow 5K.

If you're just starting out, you're not going to be able to just go out there and run, you have to build up to it. Even my wife who has run a couple marathons and several half marathons has to jump back into interval (walk/run) training after she's taken a significant amount of time off from running...not so much because of the cardio capacity as much as getting her body used to the high impact of running again.