Calorie needs

Options
Okay so another calorie question .

What is the general rule for setting activity levels on the app with exercise . For example I set the level to not active and have my workout added on to that ? Or if I’m active on top of exercise should I change to a different activity level?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The answer to both is yes. The activity level is based on your lifestyle before exercise. Intentional exercise is added.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There is zero overlap between daily activity and exercise when using MFP as designed. They don't influence each other - completely separate entities.
    So "the rule" is set whatever is your true daily activity level is and add exercise on top of whatever level you pick.

You don't adjust activity level either up or down because you exercise, you just adjust your calorie goal on the day(s) you exercise by logging that exercise to estimate the additional calorie burn.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Royce284 wrote: »
    Okay so another calorie question .

What is the general rule for setting activity levels on the app with exercise . For example I set the level to not active and have my workout added on to that ? Or if I’m active on top of exercise should I change to a different activity level?

MFP is not a TDEE calculator so your activity level is just your day to day hum drum. You account for exercise my logging it and then getting additional calories for that additional activity. You should set your activity level to whatever descriptor best describes your day to day hum drum and then log deliberate exercise.

For example, if I were to use MFP as designed I would set myself to light active even though I have a desk job because outside of work I do a lot around the house and yard that keeps me moving much of the evening. I also exercise regularly, so if I went for an hour long bike ride I would log that separate from my day to day light active setting and get additional calories for an otherwise unaccounted for activity.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As per your other post where you say you average 15,000 steps......

Very active activity setting plus exercise calories.

You can understand the logic if you imagine you have an identical twin who has exactly the same activity level as you but does no purposeful exercise. Clearly one sibling who exercises and one who doesn't would have different calorie needs.
  • Tashanicole444
    Tashanicole444 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Super duper helpful thanks to all who commented