Breast feeding mom, looking for other BFMs.

Options
Hi. My name is Jenny. I have 4 children. I'm a breast feeding mom (4 1/2 months) and dieting while breast feeding is hard. I don't want to lose my milk or "diet" but I was eating way too much late at night and not eating enough in the day. My MFP family has really helped me out tons. I lost 3 lbs, but then put it right back on. I want to eat right and maybe lose some weight but I'm not super worried about it since im still BF. I would like to befriend other BF moms so we can ask questions as they arise. Like "how much can you lose without losing your milk?" and "how do you know your lesser production is due to diet or to baby growth spurt?" Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you. love, Jen.

Replies

• SportySpiceVT
    SportySpiceVT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    have you had a problem with supply? i didn't join mfp until I was done nursing (after 2.5 years) and the weight started coming back. while I was nursing the weight flew off. I ate pretty much what I wanted and was losing weight. when I was nursing, the most important thing was drinking lots of fluids. hope that helps! I'd be happy to support you if you don't mind that I am not longer nursing. :P
  • zooktn
    Options
    Im a BFM also!!
  • mariposadedios
    Options
    I will be in a few more months! Interested to hear what everyone has to say :)
  • HSmamato4
    Options
    Hi, I am a fellow BF mom, though my little nurser is now 17 months old. But I have BFed all 4 of my babies exclusively-13 mos, 17, mos, 22 mos and then the current one. Feel free to friend me!

As far as losing your supply-just keep nursing as often as possible and be sure to keep up your water intake. If your baby is exclusively breastfed I wouldn't go under 2000 calorie diet. Just makes sure those calories are nutrient dense. If you supplement or baby is on solids then you can go a little under that, but I wouldnt go much under until baby is getting his (her?) primary nutrition elsewhere. For me that was at about 12 months or so because we always introduce solids late and breastmilk is baby's primary source of nutrition for the first year of life.

Currently, my babe nurses anywhere from 2-6 times a day, depending on how needy he is on any given day ;)

HTH
  • sunshine_rae66
    sunshine_rae66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I never lost weight breast feeding!! I never started losing weight until after I stopped breastfeeding (about 2.5 years for my first born boy). It took me 3 years to lose weight with my first and the other one is still on the boob and using myfitnesspal I thankfully have lost nearly 20lbs.
  • JoyChristina
    Options
    Hello, I'm a BFM too and I just joined MFP today. I'm still new to the site and don't know much of it. My son just turned 4 months and I heard you can loose so much weight BF but I lost none.... Why!?!?
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    Well sweet, yeah you dont have to be breastfeeding or really have experience. It's just to talk a bit about it all that. So one day ill have a bunch, another i dont have so much milk. its weird. my supply is up and donw. i have nursed 4 kids. i get really hungry while nursing and so i usually gain 25 lbs or more while nursing. every one else loses weight. but afraid ill lose my supply if im not careful. its probably the stress that's causing me to lose it! lol
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    What has been a great resource for me has been Kellymom.com. Things like funergeek(mispelled?) and oatmeal are great for boosting supply. You have to be very careful about trying to loose weight while BFing. It's a fine line to figure how many calories you need for milk production and exercising.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    i cant lose either. i always gain a TON! im so starving when im BF. i hate it. every one else loses their baby weight right away, not me i keep gaining. it sucks. thats why i finally came here. to see if it would help.
  • SportySpiceVT
    Options
    When I lost the weight I nursed a lot. Plus I would eat small frequent meals throughout the day. I never had time to eat a big meal, much less prepare one, so I ate all day but just a little at a time. I know I was one of the lucky few that lost weight while BF. Now that she is weaned it started to come back quickly
  • SportySpiceVT
    Options
    When I lost the weight I nursed a lot. Plus I would eat small frequent meals throughout the day. I never had time to eat a big meal, much less prepare one, so I ate all day but just a little at a time. I know I was one of the lucky few that lost weight while BF. Now that she is weaned it started to come back quickly. Now I'm learning how to eat right and be at a healthy weight again.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    im glad you lost weight , but that sucks its coming back on.. good luck!
  • SportySpiceVT
    Options
    I've lost 5lbs so I am learning but it is a slow process. It is great that you are getting started eating healthy now. Have you heard of Mother's Milk tea? It is supposed to help boost your supply.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    I know there is tea that will do that. i have a fine supply right now. in the past when i try to diet i would lose my milk. this time, i am eating right and have a better idea of what to do but fear losing it again. so for right now, i dont need anything, just afraid of losing it again from dieting. or eating right, however you put it. if im not eating a whole batch of rice krispey treats, then its a diet! lol
  • HSmamato4
    Options
    Is baby on solids yet? I would delay that as much as possible (we do baby-led weaning, you can google it) to help keep up your milk supply. Also if you are hungry try to avoid mindless snacking but have lots of nutrient-dense, healthy fat foods that will keep you filled up (almonds, peanut butter with some fruit etc...).

Also be sure you are drinking LOTS of water. Most studies now say half your body weight in ounces each day. I also get really hungry when I am nursing exclusively. Listen to your body but be sure those snacks and the extra calories come in the form of good, quality food. Also, if you slowly add some activity into your day and work in some cardio, you can add those calories back in and it can rev up your metaboism to help you burn more efficiently. That may be all you can do until baby is weaned-or at least getting nourishment from other sources.

I second the kellymom.com recommendation-chock FULL of such valuable information.

Are you supplementing at all? How do you know when your supply is less-do you pump? Just wondering because if baby seems hungry or is nursing more could just be a growth spurt or baby needs some extra comfort that day.

Listen to your body and to baby! Good luck mama!
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    thank yo uvery much! yes she is nursed exclusivley. no solids yet. i dont want to give solids untill about 9 months or so. and then add slowly.i dont think solids at 4 months is good. i know my supply seems low cuz she nurses like crazy and only wnts to nurse and my boobs are always empty at these times.lasts for a couple days, then supply seems to catch up, but then it happens again. i thought they were only supposed to grow every few weeks or so?i dont suppliment at all, for i know what happens then! lol lose my milk every time. this is the first baby i have had enough milk for. i lost it for all the other kids. so thats why i am so worried.
  • HSmamato4
    Options
    You are doing a great job mama!!! My guess is your body is just responding to her increased needs-it is doing exactly what it should. She nurses more and the next day or two your supply goes up because she is demanding it. You are doing fine-if she's peeing and pooping and gaining weight steadily I wouldn't fear. Just keep up your nutrition and if your body says "feed me" then by all means, girlfriend EAT!!! Just focus on those whole foods and don't forgo the healthy fats as baby needs them for her developing brain. And don't forget that water. Could be part of your hunger is simply dehydration. Whenever you feel hungry drink a big glass of water and wait 15-20 minutes and see if that hunger subsides, but whatever you do DON'T deprive yourself!!!
  • courtneymomofone
    Options
    New here, and this is my first post, but this is a topic I'm passionate about, so here I am posting!

First, let me just say GOOD FOR YOU for making the choice to breast feed (and all the other ladies here!). I honestly don't think our society has enough support out there for breast feeding moms, so anytime I'm presented with the opportunity, I do it! So keep up the great work, mamas!!

I'm still breastfeeding here, too, and my son is 19mo old. It'll happen, but keep in mind that your body changes with each pregnancy, with each child's nutritional needs, and as you get older, your metabolism changes, too. By the time my son was 6mo old, I was down 20lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight, thanks to the calorie needs of a newborn combined with an unexpected jump in my thyroid's production. I have hypothyrodism and medicate for it, and it turned out that my pregnancy med level was too high for post-partum. So once that was adjusted and my son slowly started solids, the weight crept back on. I've gained back all 20lbs and then a few extra...

A couple things to keep in mind - if you've decreased your caloric intake too drastically, your supply could suffer. Also, if you're exercising too aggressively, your supply could take a hit. And if your body weight drops below a certain point (different for everyone) your supply may dip. These are all factors that your body interprets to determine whether there's enough stores to continue making breast milk efficiently. If there's not enough fat & nutrients in your diet and/or in your body to support milk production, milk production takes a back seat to running the essential organ functions and to support your metabolism.

Also, how young is your LO?

At this point, I would keep your caloric intake where it was initially but swap out the unhealthy things (like a tray of those rice krispie treats - a weakness for me as well!) for healthier options. Make fruit and veggies easily accessible and snackable - so slice up carrots, celery, cucumbers with a tasty low-fat dip if needed; have whole, in-season fruit in a basket or bowl on the counter or table, and keep a knife and plate with it for easy disection if needed. Instead of a couple scoops of ice cream for a dairy craving, cottage cheese. So instead of focussing on cutting the calories right now, while your supply seems to be having trouble regulating, focus on eating well to maximize fuel to your body for making milk and maximizing nutrients going into your milk. Let increasing your activity burn extraneous calories and any fat your body's willing to let go at this point. Once the activity is already in place and ingrained, once you are able to start decreasing your caloric intake (such as once your supply steadies out or your child begins solids), additional weight will start to drop off, too.

Keep in mind - slower weight loss due to a permanent, healthy lifestyle will last much longer than sudden, drastic weight loss. It really is true that the tortoise wins the race on this one!

And as a PP mentioned, kellymom.com is my GO TO site for all things breast feeding!
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    wow! lol you know your stuff, that great!! thank you for that. i dont really exercise cuz i have FM and it hurts to exercise. i was eating about 3500 cals a day, that too much for anyone, so i cut it to 2000 and i GAINED!!! so i cut it to 1500. i have not lost or gained on that. i go for a long walk once a week or so if i can stand the hurtin.. like you said, it sounds like she nurses more so my body catches up, but this is a 3-4 day cycle- is that normal? ok?? and i have noticed i have a LOT more milk if i eat 2000 cals, yet i gain, and if i get any fatter, ill never lose it. so i scared. i just watch my supply closely and like today, i hv tons of milk, so i think im just ogin to have to do the 2000 cals. i hate to, but eating this way has got to be better for her, you know? and replacing my bad cals for good cals is better than nothing.!
  • courtneymomofone
    Options
    Yeah, you definitely weren't eating enough at 1500 cal/day! That's a minimum requirement for a healthy woman not pregnant or breastfeeding, and with exclusively breastfeeding a child 6mo or younger, you burn about 600 cal/day just by making milk! So you were essentially starving yourself and also not getting enough calories to make healthy milk.

I'd say definitely focus on eating at least 2000 cal/day and making those healthy choices a permanent part of your lifestyle - focus on a protein-rich diet with good fats like avacados, olive oil for cooking, and even fat in your dairy choices like cottage cheese and yogurt. I'd pick a low-fat option over a non-fat option hands-down there. Cottage cheese is a GREAT option right now, especially in the morning - high in protein, good fats, and will help keep you feeling fuller longer. Greek yogurt is better than regular yogurt - again, higher in protein.

Also - make sure you're getting enough fruits and vegetables in during the day, along with plenty of whole grains - oatmeal is a great thing to eat when breastfeeding, especially if you struggle with supply issues. A bowl of oatmeal each morning for breakfast will do wonders since it's a natural galactagogue (milk-maker). And eat small meals every 2-3hrs to keep your metabolism operating at a higher rate all day long. With smaller portions mutliple times a day, your stomach will naturally shrink a little and you'll soon notice you feel full sooner into a meal with less food. Pair your carbs with a protein - so fruit with peanutbutter or cottage cheese, roasted chicken or turkey with your sandwich bread, etc. That'll help your body process those carbs more efficiently.

But most importantly - take care of yourself! Starving yourself to see the pounds drop on the scale is a surefire way to see them creep back on, maybe faster.

Having FM makes getting and being active VERY difficult. Do you have access to a pool nearby? Even taking your LO swimming with you just to play in the shallower end is activity, and water activities can be a lot easier on your body than even things like walking. Or leave your LO with your husband or a trusted family member for an hour while you jet down to the pool to swim a few laps for 30min. Or bring them along and they can hang out and cheer you on.

And don't worry about how soon you'll lose the weight post-baby - you've got a couple hurdles to work with that the general population doesn't, so as a BF-ing mom, your prioreties are taking care of yourself and feeding baby. After that, everything else will fall into place :)