What shoes do you wear to workout?

Options
When I am working out my feet start hurting really bad, like just horribly which is why sometimes I have to stop for a second because they hurt so bad. So i'm wondering if it's my shoes that is causing the problem. So what shoes do you wear or what do yo recommend?

Thanks!

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes do you currently wear?
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Heels.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes do you currently wear?

an old pair that I have had. they are new balance
  • FitnessElle
    Options
    Are your shoes too tight? Does it happen when you're moving around on your feet or mainly when you're stationary?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Unless you are running, wear what is most comfortable, or even go barefoot. If you are doing leg exercises like squats, wear something with a flat sole that doesn't compress (like converse all stars). If running, get professionally fitted for running shoes.
  • qkiley
    Options
    I just got a new pair of shoes yesterday. Not sure what type of workouts you are doing. I purchased a pair of Asics for running since I started the C25K program.

I would go to a good running shoe store. They watched how I walked/ran and helped me pick out the appropriate shoe. My feet feel so much better with my new shoes.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Heels.

I had a drag queen friend who would run 10miles a day in 6inch stilettos just in case and not just lightly jog but Fing book it fast and hard. As he put it a man in a dress has to be prepared.

but i wear new balance ive been doing p90x I looked at what shoes they were wearing and went to the store and matched. Fact. Good luck with your feets. Also yoga you dont need any shoes.
  • babs23
    Options
    I work for a very large online shoe retailer and I can only recommend one thing:

Find a running shop in your area and have your gait analyzed. How you walk/run will determine which shoe is best for you. Wearing the right shoe for your gait and will make all the difference.

Take a look at this:

http://www.zappos.com/running-shoe-fit-guide
  • LeenLeGrys
    Options
    I love Asics running shoes. I am not a runner, but I find them to be the most comfortable for walking and indoor/outdoor workouts. I think it depends on your particular needs and if you have wide feet, high arches, flat arches etc. I have found that places like Sport Chalet are very helpful for recommending footwear depending on your needs. I also just bought a pair of Nike's that I like :) Find out the stores return policy because you may just have to try a few different brands/styles until you find the right ones.
  • KristinC4
    Options
    I had the same problem. I finally went to Hibbett Sports and spoke with one of their associates about my problem. This guy knew what he was talking about! He told me that the brand of shoe doesn't really matter; it is what my feet feel comfortable in that matters. For example, my husband loves his Nike Shox, but they kill my feet. I tried on a lot of different brands and type of shoes. I finally found a Nike shoe that I loved and it was actually a childs shoe. I wear them all the time, whether I am walking, running, or dancing, and they have not hurt my feet at all.
  • tatabanana
    Options
    Probably...they may not be the shoes for you....Go get fitted at a real running shoe store. I didn't and got lucky that I bought two pairs.....The pair I bought to work out in I LOVE. Then I bought a pair to walk around in/sit around in all day at work. My feet hurt from wearing the work shoes just at work. So, I am all about the Reebok RunTone these days. Good luck!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what type of exercise you are doing, if your feet hurt go get fitted at a running store. If a new pair of shoes doesn't work to relieve your pain, go to the doctor.

I'm a runner and wear asics--they are the only brand I can wear due to extremely high arches.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I don't run so usually I wear cross training shoes although for weight lifting and many other things a completely flat sole is better. I often workout barefoot since I workout in my basement or back-yard. If the shoes you use are old they may simply be worn out. The support and cushioning in shoes does not last forever. For that matter often shoes will be worn out even though the upper part is still in good condition.

A more important question is what sort of foot pair are you having? That might help determine what the problem is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm training. On leg day and days I do deadlifts I wear my Otomix Extreme Trainers. On other days I'll wear my Reebok Cross trainers.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you all, alot of information. Basically the workouts I am doing is Jillian Michaels 30day shred, also I have an elliptical that I'm using as well. Also I use the biggest loser workout for the xbox kinect. So not sure what you consider those excersizes.

As far as my feet hurting go..as I'm excersizing they start cramping up it feels like. I remember going to a dr or chiropractor one time and they told me I have a very low arch so they wanted me to buy these special made arch inserts for my shoes, but I didn't have a few hundred dollars to drop on them at the time.

I don't do any running..at this time. It's my goal to be able to run!
  • mewdds
    Options
    I went to a running store where they evaluated my feet, gait and what type of workouts I was doing. Then I just started trying on a bunch of shoes. I found for me the Saucony Hurricane 13 was the best shoe. The toe box is wider, it has "arch-lock" and a longer medial post. Most shoe are made for running or forward motion. BUT a lot of the workouts today have a lot of side to side lateral movements. I found that my feet were moving too much in the shoe because the sides of the shoes didn't offer resistance or stability. These shoes rock in that aspect. Best to talk to someone who can personalize what shoes might be best for you and try them on til you find the right ones. :)