Calcium sugestions?

Options
I am over 50 so I know that it is really important to get in enough calcium. This is one area that I never seem to get enough of. How do others that pay attention to this area get in more calcium without getting in more fat? I eat Spinach daily so I already get some there. I drink some milk often have yogurt and sometime have cheese but all of this still leaves me with a lots to go.

Replies

• DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to make it all balance in the diet and just started taking a calcium supplement. There are just too many numbers to track otherwise.

By the way, along with calcium you have to be sure you get enough vitamin D. Your bones can't absorb calcium without sufficient levels of it.
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is the liquid supplement...it tastes good....almonds are another good source.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Make sure it is calcium citrate. Take two doses of 600 mg twice a day and do not take it at the same as a multivitamin. I take my multivitamin in the morning then one dose of calcium with lunch and one with dinner.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to make it all balance in the diet and just started taking a calcium supplement. There are just too many numbers to track otherwise.

By the way, along with calcium you have to be sure you get enough vitamin D. Your bones can't absorb calcium without sufficient levels of it.

Same here.
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try Vitafusion Calcium 500 mg Assorted Flavors Gummy Vitamins for Adults. You can buy them from Costco, Albertson's, or any other grocery store/drugstore or order them online from Amazon. 50% DV of Calcium and 250% DV of Vitamin D. And they taste really good too!
  • Shanahan09
    Options
    Liquid calcium Magnesium Citrate w/ Vitamin D...(orange/vanilla flavour is good). Once a day!! Easy peasy :)
  • babs23
    Options
    I recommend a high quality supplement in addition to calcium rich foods. I dislike dairy (always have), so it's something important to me as well. Osteoporosis runs in my family.

This is the supplement I take:
    http://www.newchapter.com/take-care/bone-strength-take-care**

Reviews on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Strength-Take-Care-Tablet/dp/B0018RE7F8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

**definitely purchase from Amazon... I also take a New Chapter one-a-day. The bottle I purchase on Amazon is $25. The same bottle is $50 in Whole Foods! Pricey supplements, but totally worth it!

There are a ton web resources that give lists of calcium rich fruits and vegetables, you should do a search.

I track my calcium in take every day and by eating normally (which means no or limited dairy, high in fruits and veggies), paired with my supplement, I exceed my calcium goal every day.
  • zta1989
    zta1989 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    8 ounces of almond milk has something like 45% of the daily recommended amount.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I drink a few glasses each day of nonfat milk or soymilk. I also take a supplement which contains 300 milligrams of calcium. If you take a supplement, the least expensive option is to take calcium carbonate. Tums contains calcium carbonate. However, you need to take calcium carbonate with food or it it won't digest properly. If you take it with food, it will digest fine. Calcium citrate is more expensive. There is no need to take calcium citrate with food.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You may want to take a vitamin D supplement. It helps prevent osteoporosis. At the advice of my endocrinologist, I take vitamin D for that purpose.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I tried coconut milk this week. I noticed that it was really calcium rich too. I am not a very good pill taker. I think its always better to try to make it happen with food but I may have to go that route. Great suggestions.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Swiss chard has a ton of calcium in it and its yummy to add in a stir fry. Same with kale
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    +1 Almond Milk = awesome source of calcium :)
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have never cooked with Chard or Kale (Except in mixed greens) What do you do with them? I am up for a new challange!
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    Very easy. I take two Tums (or generic equivalent) a day, per my Doctor. I also take 2,000 IU of VitD with it, but I had my level checked at my Dr.'s with a blood test first, to make sure I needed it. The two Tums only have 10 calories. :smile: