Can’t seem to do it

Options
Hey everyone,
So I am new to this and I’m gonna start by giving you a bit of a background. I am a mid thirties female that is depressed and suffers from many mental health issues. I am a bit of an agoraphobic so getting outside and getting active is a struggle for me. It’s also a struggle because I gained over 100 lbs in 2 months and my body has no muscle built to carry the weight I’ve gained, so my knees and ankles give out a lot and tend to swell. It is painful for me to stand for long periods or even sit up. I’m only comfy when lying down. Because it’s so painful for me to do things it’s difficult to get motivated to workout because I am very limited on what I can actually do physically. I suffer from social anxiety so I do not have any friends or family to help motivate me or support me In my weight loss journey. Which makes it difficult to want to go out and get active when I have nobody to do it with. My eating habits are very poor. I consume a lot of sugar because my medication makes me crave it like my body is lacking it when it’s really not. Please send me tips on how to get into a routine of eating healthier and being more physically active. Getting over my fears and phobias, easy exercises I can do at home with limited equipment, etc. I need all the help I can get. I’d like to lose over 100 lbs within the next few months, so teach me how I can make this goal a reality! And go!!!!

Replies

• Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There are videos on YouTube for walking in your home. I have found a couple that look very doable. I haven't tried them yet though. You might want to look those up and start off with a very easy one. Even if you can just do ten minutes here and then ten minutes there.

You really should talk to a doc though. I know that is the last thing you want to hear but you have a lot to work out mentally and physically. I do not mean that in a bad way or judgemental way so please don't take offense. We all have issues we need to work through. Most people are on here because of that. Finding help mentally can really contribute to success physically.

But baby steps really are where you need to start. Be easy on yourself but stubborn towards your goals too. Have you considered journally about your goals and journey? That might help you stay focused and even get some of your thoughts out. But please stay here on myfitnesspal. You will find lots of support here.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I second seeing a doctor for sure, but since you say you're on medication I will go off the assumption that you already are seeing a doctor. Anyway, the good news is that you don't need to work out to lose weight. You can adjust you calorie intake (basically meaning eat less junk food/high calorie food). As you lose weight you can start including some physical exercise. But basically, I would just start by tracking my calories and eating what MFP recommends for, say, 1 pound per week loss.
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think that exercise, even in moderation, does more than help you lose weight. It helps you become healthier if done regularly. I wish more people made becoming healthier a higher goal than simply losing weight. Losing weight is something you do in order to try to become healthier, although more than a few out there try to lose weight in plenty of unhealthy ways.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I will only add- that make sure you tell your doctor how you feel and see if you need some medication to help or if they need to recommend you to another doctor for mental health issues(I suffer from clinical depression and I need medicine- so no judgement here at all)-- NEXT look at the side effects of the medicines you are on- SEE if sudden weight gain is one or water weight etc--- then check to see if doctor can adjust your medicines(I had to do that with a statin that I used- it caused terrible constipation when I told the doc and he adjusted I could do so much better- Lastly but not least- try the mfp suggested calories but NOT for an aggressive weight loss- I know you want to lose it all in a few months but that is NOT realistic-- it just isn't so --be happy if you lose any or even maintain - then slowly make adjustments-- many of us have been on this site for years(still plugin away to lose unwanted pounds)- PS- YouTube even has some "chair exercise" so that you can sit in a chair and just work your arms or just work your legs(any movement helps- with range of motion for your body)- You can do it--
  • Jennycrystel
    Jennycrystel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also suffering from depression. I think everyone has different reasons for it. Last year, I gave birth to my son. During delivery, I was at high risk. Doctors recommended a C-section because of the baby's size. After delivery, I struggled a lot with constipation. Actually, following my C-section delivery, I began to experience depression. They prescribed me a suppository to help with constipation, which worked wonders. I used the suppository after being discharged from the hospital when I had trouble passing feces. However, it is not suitable for everyday use. I don't know what to do for permanent relief, but now I am using stool softeners daily.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'm also suffering from depression. I think everyone has different reasons for it. Last year, I gave birth to my son. During delivery, I was at high risk. Doctors recommended a C-section because of the baby's size. After delivery, I struggled a lot with constipation. Actually, following my C-section delivery, I began to experience depression. They prescribed me a suppository to help with constipation, which worked wonders. I used the suppository after being discharged from the hospital when I had trouble passing feces. However, it is not suitable for everyday use. I don't know what to do for permanent relief, but now I am using stool softeners daily.

Post Partum depression is no joke. I hope you've been able to find the help you need
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I think that exercise, even in moderation, does more than help you lose weight. It helps you become healthier if done regularly. I wish more people made becoming healthier a higher goal than simply losing weight. Losing weight is something you do in order to try to become healthier, although more than a few out there try to lose weight in plenty of unhealthy ways.

While I completely agree it takes both to be healthier, I think where the OP is at, it *might* be in her best interest to focus on losing a few pounds first. I think it'd be better for her joints and more motivating than trying to do both at once. JMO :)

I agree that 100# is a lot to gain in such a short time, 2 months?? Sounds like something else might be going on. Are you on a new medication that could cause weight gain? Definitely talk with a doctor!! Come here for suggestions and ideas but this issue sounds like something a doctor needs to be seen for. Wishing you all the best!!!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I would get to a doctor and find out what is going on because 50 lbs a month weight gain is extreme. There may be something causing it. I had sudden weight gain over a few months and it was an ovarian cyst that grew to almost 20 lbs. Any time you have sudden extreme weight gain, go see a doctor. It very well may not be that you are eating way too much, but something else causing water weight, or something like that.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    not one person has commented on how unrealistic it is to loose 100 pounds in a few of months. not going to *kitten* foot around your mental health issues (which are real) but you won't loose 100 pounds in a few of months. even if you are morbidly obese. you are setting yourself up for failure. adjust your expectations or you won't get far thinking this is realistic.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    not one person has commented on how unrealistic it is to loose 100 pounds in a few of months. not going to *kitten* foot around your mental health issues (which are real) but you won't loose 100 pounds in a few of months. even if you are morbidly obese. you are setting yourself up for failure. adjust your expectations or you won't get far thinking this is realistic.

Very true. BUT the first thing that popped out to me was gaining 100 # in 2 months(so I never thought much further). So either *that's* not realistic itself or else something is going on that needs to be addressed with a doctor.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Making small, manageable changes in your life right now would be good. Try discovering some new interests or hobbies. Make small changes and I think you will see results. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed.
  • aflads31
    aflads31 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with mental and physical health. My legs give out on walks and my ankles roll so easily. Is it possible to get a treadmill? That would be a start if you don’t like going out of the house. Then maybe as you exercise you’ll feel better about going outside. I definitely understand I’ve been in your shoes. I currently am.
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are no magic or easy solutions to being at a healthy weight. You either will eat better or you won’t. No one can do it for you. You obviously have to work on the mental issues with a professional. But on the weight loss side of things, it begins wit simple practicalities such as buying a food scale and starting to track your calories. Calculate your BMR from the many calculators available and go from there. You really are the only one that can put yourself on a healthy road.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Pick one thing to work on and do that for a few weeks. Once it gets easier, pick another thing to work on. Repeat.
  • anhaab
    anhaab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing all you did here - that was very brave of you. Many of us have similar things we struggle with. Lots of good advice here especially with your medication and checking with your doctor there as seems to be something going on there.

Several others mentioned this too - but I highly recommend starting small. I teach a concept of focusing on 2 lbs at a time; it helps make it much more manageable for our brain to wrap it's head around. Keep it simple & doable and don't try to do all the things at once - that's when we crash and burn and revert back to our old habits. When you start small, create those positive, healthy habits with a solid foundation of things you are willing to do/want to do then that's where you will start seeing change.

Another thing I teach to the ladies I work with is celebrate along the way (not with food...but could just be some positive affirmation - great job sticking to your plan today, etc) - that helps to reinforce that behavior and those small wins compound into bigger ones.