Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Juicer extractor or blender

Options
What are your thoughts on this and if you have a fav ( juicer or blender) which brand and why.
I've been thinking about start a routine with a healthy juice everyday,but some people think juicer takes all the fiber and what you get it's all the fructose.
What do you guys think about that.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    It's not people' OPINION that a juicer removes most of the fiber from the fruit, it's a FACT. Just look at what is left behind after juicing.

If you want to keep the fiber, a blender would be the way to go. I don't have a brand recommendation, but I know people who love their Ninjas.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    What benefit are you hoping to get from juice instead of eating more produce?

This seems like a very, very expensive way to add calories to your diet. Smoothies I get, juice I do not.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    What benefit are you hoping to get from juice instead of eating more produce?

This seems like a very, very expensive way to add calories to your diet. Smoothies I get, juice I do not.

I agree, I would consider a smoothie instead, that way you can add other things to balance out the macros such as yogurt, greens, etc. I personally have a Vitamix and it is used every single day for more than just smoothies.
  • julettegallardo
    julettegallardo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You're right, just curious about all the juice thing,but thinking better I will just invest in a better blender than what I have right now😁
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Juicing is expensive and incredibly labor intensive. It takes an incredible amount of produce to make a single drink (all of which has to be cleaned and cut into the size of your juicer tube) and you'll spend forever trying to clean all the filters and spouts on the juicer. Plus you end up with pounds and pounds of pulp you have to throw away. Juicing was a great option for me when I had gastroparesis (stomach paralysis) and needed whatever liquid calories and nutrition I could get in to me, but now that I'm healthy I don't have an hour or two a day to devote to juice prep, don't want to do the shopping required (over $100 for produce for a week of juices....5 or so years ago!), and don't get the same benefits now that I can eat real food.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,272 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Fresh vegetable juice is really tasty. One of my favorites, back when I'd buy or make the stuff, is beet, carrot, and ginger. Lots of ginger. You can also add some apple and/or celery.

I rarely do juice anymore. It's mostly because of what is NOT included in the juice. Juice contains most of the calories from the fruit and vegetables, but practically NONE of the fiber. You do get some enzymes and nutrients, but no fiber. You do get the calories, but they don't fill you up. Hard to fit all that in to a healthy routine unless you truly cannot stand to eat vegetables but want to.

Sure, you could theoretically use all the waste material from the juicer in some other recipe, but why not just eat the veggies instead? Also, if you made, oh, I don't know -- muffins -- from the waste material, that would also be a calorie bomb.

I can't justify buying a VitaMix, but if I were going to start doing "juice" again it would be with something like that. It's a tool that can make "juice" that still has all the fiber and everything. In fact... I kind of want a glass of juice right NOW.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    It all comes down to budget really.

I have a blendtec blender and I LOVE it, I only bought it because a local company went bust and was selling their hardwares.

I’ve had Ninja blenders, they’re good apart from the fact that I found mine tricky to clean.

There are pros and cons to all. As mentioned above, juice extractors remove things that are beneficial, I’m not a fan of them.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    nope i'm gonna savor each vegetable, each fruit. i do have a ninja creami tho
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I love celery juice. I buy it at the store freshly juiced. They clean the celery. They clean the juicer. It costs a small fortune, but I’ve watched them. They use a boatload of celery to make a bottle. I’m not sure they make money. If I didn’t buy celery juice, I’d probably buy and drink a coke, so it’s very healthy for me! But would I buy a juicer and do it myself? Nope. Too expensive. Too much work.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    My wife developed Fibromyalgia a few years back. We did green juicing five days a week. We changed a lot in addition to that -- eliminated sugar, veggie oils, red meat, dairy and gluten. She lost 20 to 25 lbs, but also got out of pain within 6 months. Like completely. I believe the green juicing helped a lot.

We juiced nearly all green and low sugar items. Cabbage, celery and cucumbers make wonderful juice and all are very low in sugar. We'd sometimes add just a bit of pineapple core (great for digestion) or a half of a green apple -- just enough to make the juice tolerable. We might add a whole lemon or lime, some cilantro (great for cleaning out heavy metals along with chlorella/spirulina) and fresh ginger, sometimes turmeric root. We'd also often add in kale (surprisingly higher than most green veggies in sugar, so not often) or spinach.

It was a bit of a pain to clean and, yes, a Blendtec or a Vitamix juice is healthier. But we were using the fiber for muffins or dog biscuits (you have to be careful with that so it doesn't have grapes or anything that would harm dogs) and eating a ton of plant based foods already, so huge amounts of fiber already.
    It also can be used for compost as well.

It wasn't terribly expensive -- around $30 was enough to make two juices like four or five times a week. Comparing that to going to Whole Foods and buying two and it's economical making it yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I used to juice. All that vegetable/fruit sugar unopposed by fiber, fat, and protein gave me headaches. Plus what everybody else said about the waste of the fiber.

These days I make smoothies in my food processor. I add protein powder and fat sources.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't juice and really wouldn't - I like the fiber in fruit and veggies. I do make smoothies sometimes. I have a Ninja blender. It is awesome! Also very easy to clean.