Options
2»

Replies

• naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    fabiosmexy wrote: »
    I am prediabetic, which has made it hard for me to reach my carb goals to help me push heavier weight. Any food suggestions with decent, safe carbs for prediabetics?

I don't claim to understand eating to gain muscle as well as I do for fat loss, but from my research for pre-diabetes, quinoa, red rice, and buckwheat are carbs I would suggest you look into. Quinoa and buckwheat are significantly less starchy than alternatives, and out of all the rices, red rice is the least starchy and highest fibre.

It depends, I think on what you mean by "decent, safe". Digestible carbs all convert to sugar eventually in the body, none are what I would call safe for a pre-diabetic to have huge amounts of. But low starch carbs are more helpful than starchy carbs for us, and eaten with protein and fats is even more helpful.

You could also consider carbs from beans and lentils, remembering that unprocessed or minimally processed is most helpful.

If it's carb-loading that you're trying to achieve, I don't think that's compatible with a diet for pre-diabetes. Perhaps there are other ways to achieve your fitness goals without doing that? 🤔
  • MOMfit4life
    MOMfit4life Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was newly diagnosed with prediabetes April 27, 2022!! In three weeks my A1C went from 5.7 to 6.1 on May 21, 2022!! That was my catalyst. I decided to turn it around and took hard look at my lifestyle and eating habits. A1C results were 5.3 on Aug 1, 2022. Lots of changes including started fasting 16:8 and traded unhealthy options for healthier whole foods. Ditched the refined foods. Traded low fat foods, sugar, corn syrup, artificial sweeteners for healthy foods + fats and stopped snacking. Basically eat twice a day in lieu of several times... to prevent insulin surges. Not to brag, but I am grateful for my wake up call! My changes are working! Lost over 27# and waist has shrunk as a bonus. YOU CAN REVERSE TOO!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I was newly diagnosed with prediabetes April 27, 2022!! In three weeks my A1C went from 5.7 to 6.1 on May 21, 2022!! That was my catalyst. I decided to turn it around and took hard look at my lifestyle and eating habits. A1C results were 5.3 on Aug 1, 2022. Lots of changes including started fasting 16:8 and traded unhealthy options for healthier whole foods. Ditched the refined foods. Traded low fat foods, sugar, corn syrup, artificial sweeteners for healthy foods + fats and stopped snacking. Basically eat twice a day in lieu of several times... to prevent insulin surges. Not to brag, but I am grateful for my wake up call! My changes are working! Lost over 27# and waist has shrunk as a bonus. YOU CAN REVERSE TOO!

This is a little confusing.

A1C is blood sugar based on an average over about 12 weeks. It's around 12 weeks because it's calculated from red blood cells and red blood cells life cycle is about 12 weeks. I suspect you had blood drawn and was analyzed and your Dr. then told you on April 27th that you were prediabetic, which you were. In order for you to then have an A1C 3 weeks later would mean your blood work would need to be done again, which generally means some time is also taken up for the lab to do the analyze then forward that to your Dr. as well.

For A1C to move that much can take a long time, decades for some people. If you were eating the same for that 3 weeks I suspect A1C didn't actually go up at all or almost nothing. I suspect your Dr. took a blood sample in the office on May 21st and took a reading with a glucose monitor and got a reading of 6.1which is not only possible but fluctuation throughout the day is quite normal and I suspect the reading was just a result of that and you interpreted it as a new A1C . Your A1C coming down from 5.7 to 5.3 after 3 months considering the intervention you did is quite possible and good for you. Now I'm not saying what you said isn't reality, but something I thought I would mention based on my knowledge of diabetes and nutrition in general. Cheers.
  • MrsEddie2611
    MrsEddie2611 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    horsewishr wrote: »
    I’m a nurse/diabetes educator with prediabetes.

They say that everyone will get diabetes eventually—if something else doesn’t kill you first. What does that mean? It means that your pancreas (your insulin-producing organ), like every other part of your body, will eventually give out. How fast it wears out is a question of lifestyle. If you “challenge” your pancreas by eating tons of carbs and being physically inactive, it will burn out much faster than if you eat a healthy diet and stay active.

Focus on real, whole foods. If you’re tempted to eat more fat (in order to avoid carbs) please be aware that saturated fats (mostly from animal sources) make insulin resistance worse. This is the opposite of what you want.

Don’t be afraid of any type of food. You need them all (carbohydrates, fats, and proteins). Just choose wisely from all categories.

A final comment: Prediabetes is an indication that pancreatic function is already in decline. It needs to be taken much more seriously at age 25 then at age 65. By 65, it could almost be considered part of the normal aging process. Our eyesight gets worse, our hearing declines, our skin sags, and our pancreases don’t work as well.

I disagree with this. None of my grandparents ever developed pre-diabetes, and they lived into their 80's and 90's. It's a lifestyle disease. The reason most people will develop it as they age is because we, as a society, eat like total crap for the most part.

Actually it's not always a lifestyle disease some of us have genetic factors that bring it on. I have a condition called fredricksons that causes alsorts of nasty things to happen inside the body, high cholesterol, thickening of the blood, problems with my organs, and then diabetes becomes one of the conditions from that. I also suffer pcos which again messes with insulin production in women and can lead to diabetes in later life. I was diagnosed with diabetes after losing 3 stone in weight to try and prevent me from getting it, how cruel is that. My mum also had diabetes and she was a tiny size 4 (uk) in clothes. This is because of the genetic factors.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

They say that everyone will get diabetes eventually—if something else doesn’t kill you first. What does that mean? It means that your pancreas (your insulin-producing organ), like every other part of your body, will eventually give out. How fast it wears out is a question of lifestyle. If you “challenge” your pancreas by eating tons of carbs and being physically inactive, it will burn out much faster than if you eat a healthy diet and stay active.

Focus on real, whole foods. If you’re tempted to eat more fat (in order to avoid carbs) please be aware that saturated fats (mostly from animal sources) make insulin resistance worse. This is the opposite of what you want.

Don’t be afraid of any type of food. You need them all (carbohydrates, fats, and proteins). Just choose wisely from all categories.

A final comment: Prediabetes is an indication that pancreatic function is already in decline. It needs to be taken much more seriously at age 25 then at age 65. By 65, it could almost be considered part of the normal aging process. Our eyesight gets worse, our hearing declines, our skin sags, and our pancreases don’t work as well.

I disagree with this. None of my grandparents ever developed pre-diabetes, and they lived into their 80's and 90's. It's a lifestyle disease. The reason most people will develop it as they age is because we, as a society, eat like total crap for the most part.

Actually it's not always a lifestyle disease some of us have genetic factors that bring it on. I have a condition called fredricksons that causes alsorts of nasty things to happen inside the body, high cholesterol, thickening of the blood, problems with my organs, and then diabetes becomes one of the conditions from that. I also suffer pcos which again messes with insulin production in women and can lead to diabetes in later life. I was diagnosed with diabetes after losing 3 stone in weight to try and prevent me from getting it, how cruel is that. My mum also had diabetes and she was a tiny size 4 (uk) in clothes. This is because of the genetic factors.

Genetics will always have an influence on disease but generally speaking diabetes (insulin resistance) in Western cultures is a result of diet and other lifestyle impact factors. Those lifestyle impact factors have affected people earlier and now we have children with full blown diabetes and increasing exponentially. the overall health of the nation is in crisis that is crippling and the amount of money spent medicating the population in general will be it's Achilles heel with diabetes leading the way. imo
  • neanderthin
    edited October 2022
    Options

This is not true. There is an ounce of truth in that statement though and WFPB advocates have used that argument against animal protein ad nauseum. I'm not assuming your a vegan, just mentioning the popular "messaging"

If muscle is taking in saturated fat and turning them into triglycerides then that is totally inert. Triglycerides have no effect on muscle insulin sensitivity at all, so basically triglycerides even if they're made up of saturated fat have no effect on insulin resistance. In other words, dietary fats of any kind have no effect.

Although there is some truth that saturated fats do contribute to insulin resistance and here is why. There is a type of fatty acid that a cell will make called ceramides in response to inflammation, cortisol and chronically elevated insulin. A ceramide is made when palmitate which is an ester made from palmitic acid which is a 16 carbon chain fatty acid and is the most common saturated fat acid found in all animals and plants for that matter and when combined with an amino acid, mostly serine and make these ceramides.

The palmitic acid found in the blood is produced by the liver and if someone was to not consume any fat whatsoever the liver would still be producing palmitic acid and the upregulation of ceramides, so yes even vegans will be afflicted with the same problem they advocate is caused by consuming saturated fat. So the ounce of truth is yes, palmitic acid is a saturated fat but it's not coming from dietary sources, it's coming from liver production even in the absence of saturated fat or any fat in the diet. Cheers.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    hello everyone! pretty new prediabetic here. reading everything and taking it all in - and learning a lot!