"Couch to 5k"

Options
I hear about it but dont know what it is..can anybody please tell me??? I am going crazy about this eating back your exercise calories....today I was really low on my calories...dont understand this...if I am watching what I eat, and exercising to burn calories..why in the h.. would I want to eat them BACK..:huh:

Replies

• babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/

i started it this morning, heaps excited!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I hear about it but dont know what it is..can anybody please tell me??? I am going crazy about this eating back your exercise calories....today I was really low on my calories...dont understand this...if I am watching what I eat, and exercising to burn calories..why in the h.. would I want to eat them BACK..:huh:
    You'd want to "eat them back" to keep your deficit right around 1,000. You probably already know that if you eat too little, your body won't burn fat as effectively because it will think it's starving. The same can happen with too large of a deficit, i.e. exercising a lot & not eating enough to keep the deficit around 1,000.

The C25K program is great, I can see other have shared the link already, but basically it's a pre-made training schedule to get you ready to run a 5k. It works as long as you can stick to the schedule & be consistent with your training. If you don't, you may have to repeat weeks to get your endurance where it needs to be, but in general it's a very effective program.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I thought it was weird to eat them back too, for the longest time I didn't and I lost a lot of weight. But once I upped my workout schedule (about 6 days a week for 45-90min plus sport practice) I stopped losing weight and didn't get any results. I was eating too little so now I eat back my calories and my progress has started again.
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    You only need to eat them back once you have not a lot of fat left to burn. If you do have plenty to burn, there is no need to.
  • jermyZ
    Options
    I've used C25K for a very long time. Absolutely fantastic app. I LOVE it. Even beginner runners can do this program, just be positive and find a comfortable pace! A few years ago when i first got it, i lasted 2 weeks before i fell off my health kick, and did the same thing 3-4 times since now. I've started back up now that i've actually gotten serious and i'm on week 4. Its a challenge but it feels great, works terrific for building stamina and endurance! I cannot speak highly enough of this app, it turned me, a lazy a## into a fan of running, and now using it to train for a 5k, then hopefully a 10k and half-marathon to come!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about eating back your exercise calories well, I was too, which is why I ran an experiment on the theory. You can see the results in my blog (link below)

R
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    its a great running programme, im running because of it! started off struggling to run 3mins and now im managing 10ks! go for it, plenty of podcasts/ apps available for it
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    hahahaha you made me laugh..if I have alot of fat to burn I dont need to eat them back!!!! Well let me tell you I wont have to eat back those calories for a very longgg time. thanks for putting a smile on my face...
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am significantly overweight do you guys think this is possible? I have always dreamed of running a marathon, I really dont know why, I have never been a runner, maybe the satisfaction I believe it will bring me..
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Navallez, you can absolutely do it if you want to. I was probably 120-140 lbs overweight when I started training myself to run last year (I actually just posted some details about it in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/333168-looking-for-those-who-have-100-to-lose?page=16#posts-4704108).

I took it slow but still pushed myself to progress just a little bit each week & was able to run my first 5k straight through in April, about 50 lbs lighter to boot. You can do it!!