No more artificial sweetness!

Options
I'm going to kick the habit once and for all! Any one else weening themselves off artificial sweeteners? Tips, opinions, or suggestions would be great

Replies

• annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    ME! Other than gum anyway. I'm on day 5 of no diet coke. Yesterday was hard, but today is better.
  • dannylives
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners? Weened off? Wow, I've never heard of that. Not judging though.
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    Eliminating Diet soda is the hardest for me. I replace it with Sparkling water that is naturally flavoured and unsweetened like Perrier. I'll typically add fruit to oatmeal instead of sugar. If I bake I use agave nectar or stevia sparingly.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I weened myself off real sugar onto sweeteners! Worked like a charm for me! :D
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I hate artificial sweeteners!!!!!!!! (except for in diet coke haha). good luck you can do it!
  • RoseRDH
    Options
    Cold Turkey for me! It's been almost 6 months and I've never felt better! Artificial sweeteners are so bad you...if u read a bit about it that might convince u and help motivate. I now just use honey, agave nectar, or 100% pure maple syrup to sweeten and its working out just fine :) good luck!
  • raaeft1
    raaeft1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been advised to use jaggery instead of sugar or artificial sweeteners like Equal and Nutra.
  • lovelyiskey
    lovelyiskey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    good for you. once you stop eating those types of sugars your tastebuds will adjust and you'll start realizing how much they just taste like horrible chemicals.
    I haven't drank pop/soda(for you americans lol) in years like 10 plus years, maybe a total of 1 litre of pop in that time and non in the last 3 years. I feel great, my teeth feel cleaner, and i certainly never miss it if i have it in a punch or something at a party.

Frozen berries are seriously the most delicious sweets and healthy for you! try freezing some, they're a good snack. Also i find it i eat my proper carbs and protein with exercise, i don't crave sugar as much.

ELIAS CREAMED UNPASTEURIZED HONEY is soooo yummy! and good for you, even good for you skin for a beauty mask! if you can get anything like this where you live you'll be a happy camper :)
  • healthy4self
    Options
    Yay! Thanks for the tips!
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have started using brown sugar in my tea and coffee and agave syrup, it scared the hell out of me when i worked out how much chemical i was pumping in to my body through diet soft drinks etc :(
    I now only eat organic food and feel a lot better for it.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I used to be addidted to Diet Dr Pepper until I researched how bad aspartame is for the body and now I never drink it. Stevia is better and there are drinks that use it. It could be a good alternative for you. Lifewater uses it in most of their drinks and diet Blue Sky pop uses it. I am sure there are others too
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    "New chemical sweeteners (like Splenda) and the sweetener blends (aspartame, sucralose and acesulfame K blended together in one product) may be causing users to show signs of weight gain, disruption of sleep patterns, sexual dysfunction, increases in cancer, MS, Lupus, diabetes, and a list of epidemic degenerative diseases." - http://www.splendaexposed.com/

They were a trigger for migraine headaches for my wife. She's feeling a lot better now having gone back to real sugar.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm trying for mostly water, but I found these flavor packs that I like fairly well and they're sweetened with stvevia.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend Sweetleaf Liquid Stevia- lots of flavors! Good for adding to coffee, tea, shakes, oatmeal, etc :D

And there is a gum called Spry that uses xylitol, a natural sweetener... if you look at the ingredients of sugar-free gum in practically EVERY store, it has aspartame as an ingredient :( ... so I order the Spry from vitacost.com. You can also get the stevia from there too :)
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend Sweetleaf Liquid Stevia- lots of flavors! Good for adding to coffee, tea, shakes, oatmeal, etc :D

And there is a gum called Spry that uses xylitol, a natural sweetener... if you look at the ingredients of sugar-free gum in practically EVERY store, it has aspartame as an ingredient :( ... so I order the Spry from vitacost.com. You can also get the stevia from there too :)

I buy Spry gum ONLY because there is no aspartame in it. But I have to say, its kinda gross! But I love to chew gum so I suck it up and get the stuff
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Stevia?