Low-Carb Lifestyle

Options
I found the Healthy Eating Pyramid made by Havard ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthy_eating_pyramid ) and it recommends one serving (4 oz) of whole grains per meal. A serving then is only 1 slice of whole grain bread or about 2/3 cup of cooked brown rice at only 3-4 servings a day. American diets tend to be heavy in breads/grains. Cereal/muffin/bagel for breakfast. Sandwich/pizza for lunch. Pasta/casserole for dinner. The portions tend to be a lot more than a single serving too. A large bagel alone can be 3 or 4 servings!

Since I figure the people at Harvard are smarter than me Ive cut back my carbs to 3 a day and its worked well in helping me lower my calories and lose weight. My only complaint is my friends and family think Im on a fad "low-carb" kick and dont understand that Im actually eating the recommended amount. We as Americans have simply gotten so used to higher-carb diets that they are viewed as normal. Does anyone else agree or disagree?

Replies

• surfinbernard
    Options
    I agree, it's going the same way here in the UK, people are getting fatter and fatter yet the habits of slimmer people are quite often ridiculed or criticised because they are seen as extreme deprivation or obsessive. Well maybe from the point of view of a heroin addice, not having any heroin is an extreme deprivation but do you know what? I am not going to die of a heroin overdose, so who's right? Maybe that's an extreme example, but I could have given the example of non-drinkers, especially in the UK are seen as social lepers almost, yet the non-drinker is more responsible and living a healthier life for avoiding alcohol. Sometimes western society reminds me of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers where those who are different are pointed out.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    most convienient and easy foods are high in carbs.. since i started the primal blueprint ive noticed that its very easy to live low carb and that eating this way makes me less hungry
  • wayan76
    wayan76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, we get enough carbs in our fruit and veg and don't need massive amounts of bread/cereal etc unless we plan on running a marathon!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I've just started the Dukan diet, which is low carb and low fat. The main thing I've noticed is how much I now pay attention to what I'm eating, and also planning 'do-able' breakfasts and lunches.

I'm only on day 2 so kind of on carb withdrawal at the moment... but I do feel an awful lot less bloated and am enjoying playing around with new recipes and suchlike.

Hope it works out for you :)
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree in general (that we do eat too many carbs) but it's so easy to over-indulge as our food culture offers so many easy foods full of carbs, so unless you cut back completely (which I did try an ended up bingeing on chip shop chips - carby AND fatty!), it's really hard to cut down responsibly. So - does anyone have any meal ideas (for any meal time) that would help us get a better amount? To up the amount of veggies and protein I assume is the general idea, but trying to create a healthy meal for the family every evening is hard at the best of times, so any ideas would be really welcome! :flowerforyou: