[REQUEST] Salt and Pepper chicken?

Options
Hey all!
Just wondering, if anyone has a cheap recipe for a healthy salt and pepper chicken, if possible just like the take-away but not full of nasties :D!

If not, I may have a cheat day just to taste this loveliness, not a cheat day for like 1 month so I think it may be on the cards as they say!

Thank you very much

Replies

• erinleick
    Options
    I love chicken brushed with a little olive oil, sprinkled with s&p and lemon zest and then grilled. so delicious!
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Okay not the lowest in calories but better then frying.

1 egg
    1 Tablespoon of soy sauce
    1kg chicken drumettes

1Tablespoon of Salt
    1 Tablespoon of pepper
    1 Tablespoon of sechuan pepper
    (dry fry the salt, pepper and sechuan pepper until salt goes grey)

1/2 cup plain flour
    olive oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 220 c fan forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper

combine egg and soy sauce in a large bowl, add drumettes toss to coat.

combine the peppers and salt and flour in a large bowl, remove drumettes from egg mixture. Only use half of the salt and pepper mixture (or to taste) mix the drumettes with the mixutre and put on prepapred tray. Spray with oil.

Roast drumettes turning once for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

serves 4.... about 350 calories a serve...
  • Jj05Aj06
    Options
    I don't know salt and pepper chicken, but I do a KFC chicken.

1 tablespoon plain flour and 1 table spoon of season all salt (or fries sprinkle).
    Cut your chicken into large strips and drip it into the flour mix. Then just spray an electric frypan with oil and place chicken in once it's hot. Cover and cook turning a few times. If it begins to stick give it another light spray.

This is a favourite in my house. We use all kinds of different spices. Morrocan if great.

PS you can add a few more steps to make it a little tastier. Dip chicken in plain flour first then egg and then spicy flour mix.
  • abstrakt99
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all, gonna try out some of this stuff the next couple of days!
  • Kulli1
    Kulli1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used this recipe for my base and have adapted it over time.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7430/salt-and-pepper-chicken.aspx

My latest version...
    I bread my own chicken (2 breast) with a mix of breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, brown sugar (optional but help caramelize) and chilli flakes (everything is to personal taste), using a splash of the egg mix i have wisked for my egg fried rice and the chickes juices to help the mix stick. I fry the onions till soft then add garlic paste, chilli and pepper for a couple of mins. I then remove these from the pan and dry fry the chicken. Once the have sealed add the veg back to the pan with a tablespoon of chilli dipping sauce and more salt and pepper (again to taste). We serve with egg fried rice and as my boyf hates dry food a chinese curry sauce, we used the packet ones but they were a bit bland and had to add more spice to them so now it's his job to make one from scratch. This amount would probably feed 3/4 people and last time we made it the whole lot came to 416 calories per portion (3 portions, i had some for pack up the next day) but obviosly this will vary with products and amounts.

Hope this is of use. :wink: