How have I lost 117 lbs. to date?

From 288 lbs. to 171 currently. That's 117 lbs., but HOW DID I do this?

So many variables came into play. Here's something I absolutely LOVE
qbu4e5c1hekj.jpeg
Also PROGRESS, NOT PERFECTION

Its not been easy. Briefly (LOL I'll try to be!) at 288 lbs. I used a power chair 97% of the time, my back was in severe pain, severely depressed, to the point of multiple suicide attempts.

When you always fail at something, we have a choice. We can continue along this road, or we can decide "I need to change." Changes are SCARY!! Most of who join MFP are looking to improve our lives be better eating habits, exercise (Likely both) and so much more. Stop for a moment please, why did you join MFP?

Originally I belonged to Sparkpeople, we relocated here almost a year ago.

During this year I've broken both feet ,,one bone per foot. Recently I had to have surgery on my left foot. Strangely a few weeks I developed an infection, it quickly went into the bone. This is my 2nd time with a bone infection. I was told I'd lose my left foot this time, but I did not (or at least so far). I belonged to the 2022 Spring 5% Challenge. See the picture up above? With that infection I ended up in the hospital for a week, with IVs running, antibiotics mega time. I COULD of been UGLY, TESTY, but "Life is 10% Of what happens to us, 90% how we respond." Though I HATED being there, my roommate and I became THE ROOM to go for the Staff. ALL of them. We had them laughing a lot.

During the Spring 5% Challenge I DID continue to lose weight though my exercise became about NIL. HOW DID I DO THAT? The 5% Challenges are so full of support.

Today/night when you came to look at posts ,, is it because you too want support? To not do this alone? To learn how to do this without being hungry? Maybe your goal is to eat better? Exercise more? We do work on LTGL's AKA Healthy Habits and the exercise we each do, helps our team within the 5%. If that sounds confusing, don't worry on this team we WANT you to succeed, and we happily help all members. After a short bit it does make sense.

We'd LOVE to have you join us. After you hit JOIN PLEASE , PLEASE do join a team. I'll include both links:

To Join the 2022 Summer 5% Challenge please click on this link than come back and click on the other link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143186-2022-summer-5-challenge-community

After you hit JOIN this link below will help you to pick a team.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10865505/team-choice-pick-your-team-plz-challenge#latest

We are excited to have YOU WITH US!!

Replies

• beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    @Dianedoessmiles1 I'm so sorry to hear about all of your health challenges - but, wow your perseverance is inspiring! Will be checking out the 5%-ers!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 11,912 Member
    beabria wrote: »
    @Dianedoessmiles1 I'm so sorry to hear about all of your health challenges - but, wow your perseverance is inspiring! Will be checking out the 5%-ers!

WELCOME to the 2022 Summer 5% Challenge @beabria !!! So happy to have you with us!!
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,624 Member
    The 5% Challenges are a FUN way to be accountable and work as a team to reach our goals while adopting some healthy habits along the way. The group/teams are so supportive, encouraging and motivational... how could you go wrong???. It's the FUN place to be this SUMMER!! Hurry on over as the teams will be announced soon and you don't want to miss this one!!
  • DNjoys
    DNjoys Posts: 7,207 Member
    I've been a part of the 5% Challenges off and on (mostly on) since 2010, and they were with me through the good times and the bad. I've only come close to losing 5% of my weight a few times, but most seasons I've lost something. The few times I gained, I gained less because I was participating than if I hadn't been. It keeps me aware of what I weigh, what and how much I'm eating, and how much exercise I'm getting. It keeps weight loss and health on the front burner instead of fading away into the background.

I like that while it is a competition, that's not the primary focus. Each individual is encouraged to do the best they can where they're at to maintain and improve their health. It's ok to be in maintenance. It's ok to remain in the group when healing from an injury and you can't exercise or can only do limited PT. They encouraged me and cheered me on when I could barely walk one length of my apartment hallway and that summer I slowly and persistently built up to being able to walk a mile. Now with new health issues, walking is again a challenge, but I feel accepted and encouraged as we focus on what I can do and work to increase that. And I am healthier, weigh less, and can do more than I could a year ago.

When you find a team that you click with they can become like family. All the teams follow the same rules, but have a slightly different feel. All teams have a core group of members who faithfully return each season. One of the things I like about it is having people on my team that I've known for years. We've become friends, sometimes outside of MFP. And while there is a familiar core group, it doesn't become stale because every season there are new members joining that bring a freshness to the group.

Diane and I haven't yet been on the same team. We are team leaders on different teams, but over the years we've become friends. I've watched her persevere through things most people I know would get depressed and give up with. Yet she keeps smiling, joking and pushing through. She really is an inspiration!

Diane, thanks for sharing part of your story, and for just consistently being you!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 11,912 Member
    Awwww TY TY TY TY @Catwmncat (We are both leaders on one of the teams) @Dnjoys, we've been through so MUCH over the years. You are correct, our teams have stood by us, CHEERING US ON!!!

If anyone wants a team, group of approximately 30 people cheering you on (And you them) PLEASE do join us by clicking on the link above. AFTER you hit JOIN, Please do look at the next link on how to join a team.
  • cosmiccurves
    cosmiccurves Posts: 356 Member
    Definitely going to join in on this challenge! Thank you for sharing your story and I am rooting for your success and good health!

YRpPbcw.png
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 714 Member
    I love the 5% challenges. Participating in them helps to keep me accountable, and the encouragement and support from my teammates is wonderful.
  • visual_echo
    visual_echo Posts: 123 Member
    The 5% challenges are a lot of fun! I have been doing them since SparkPeople was around, and am glad we found a way to bring them over to MFP. The teams are very gently competitive, the goals for each week are fun and also doable, and there's a great camaraderie with the group as a whole. It's a super supportive way to make some progress towards your goals. I'd highly recommend checking it out!