Gaining weight

I’ve noticed there is like nobody hear that is actively trying to GAIN weight, I’m under weight but quite fit, I’d love to have others who have struggles gaining weight and those who are active/want to be!

Replies

• zara_2010
    zara_2010 Posts: 8 Member
    I’m actively bulking at the moment, on week 3 of my bulk and up by 5lbs this far. I’m a 5.4ft female and intend to shred in 9 weeks.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    I’ve just spent nearly 6 months massing,
    Now’s the time to start a fat loss phase
  • I gained 10 pounds over 7 months last year. I’m cutting now. Well I’m trying to cut!
    Did you have any specific questions about gaining?
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    What are your goals with gaining? Is your doctor concerned about your health? Is it just a personal appearance goal? Are you aiming to build muscle mass or fat or both? What have you tried in the past?
  • courtneyevans08
    courtneyevans08 Posts: 1 Member
    Me too. I'm underweight, but I love being active. I'm really hoping MFP can help!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    I will be entering a purposeful massing phase soon; today is the last day of a pretty good cut & I'll go into a recovery diet for awhile before my mass starts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    raelagafua wrote: »
    I'm trying to gain weight, my mental health, disorder and financial issues are usually why I fall back down to 15 bmi. I don't want to bulk, but thats all I see here is massive gains and lifting. Is that wha will also be required? Can I lift like 20/30 pounds and cap it for now? I wish you guys luck, and am actively seeking advice for someone who needs to gain and fortify against worse health conditions. Thanks.

You can just gain fat, if you don't care what type of tissue you gain. That happens by eating more calories than you burn. If you want to gain muscle vs. fat, to stay somewhat lean but be a higher BMI, you'll need to challenge your muscles in some way. There are choices about how to do that, with some faster routes than others. It's not that the only possible option is "massive gains and lifting".

Do you have injuries, disabilities, or something like that limiting how much you can lift? Limited access to equipment? "Lifting heavy" is just about lifting things that are heavy for you, not some abstractly giant amount. Lifting very heavy (to you) things relatively fewer times tend to add strength or muscle mass faster**, but lifting lighter things more times will also go some way toward that, just more slowly, as long as there's some challenge to your existing strength. Or is it that you're concerned you'll look too bulky if you life more than 20-30 pounds?

Folks here could help you, with a little more info.

** Yeah, guys, I know hypertrophy vs. strength reps, but I don't think that's what this particular post is about, y'know?
  • Anna51708
    Anna51708 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2022
    Hi, I am also trying to gain weight. I am a little underweight and want to get back to a healthy weight again. Not looking to gain a huge amount of weight, just 9 or 10 pounds:) I want to go from my current BMI 17 to BMI 19 again 😊
  • chilihead11
    chilihead11 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm new to the app and want to gain 20lbs. So in my goals, it says to eat 3000 calories/day. But when I input exercise, I can never meet my goal. Am I supposed to eat almost 4000 calories to gain 1lb per week? I'm only weigh 165 now, any advice?
  • Sourpower666
    Sourpower666 Posts: 1 Member
    Same boat 5 10 128lb very active I play drums and study martial arts . New to mfp says 3000 calories a day . Any tips on what I could eat easily to reach this goal of 155 that’s healthy to some degree?thanx
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,107 Member
    Since fat has more calories per gram, that can be an easy way to increase calorie intake:
    - more oil for cooking and on salads
    - nuts and seeds
    - avocado
    - fat fish
    - full fat dairy
    - fatty cuts of meat or mince
    With a preference for the first 4 options, just to make sure saturated fat intake isn't too high.

Another option is drinking your calories: milk, protein shakes,...

Once you've reached your nutritional goals (enough protein, fats, micronutrients from fruit and veggies) you can add treat foods if you want to, to add some calories. It doesn't need to be only 'healthy' foods, as long as your diet is overall balanced 🙂