Having to give up eggs - EFA's? (Vegans / lacto veges?)

Options
For a fairly long time, eggs have made me feel a bit iffy, but in the last few weeks, I've had to face facts - it's a full on food intolerance.

I've been an ovo lacto vegetarian for 26 years, and I've always relied on eggs for EFAs and they contribute a lot to my protein. I've clung to them because I like them and they're easy. But they now seem to be making me proper sick.

My question is, what do you vegans / lacto veges do about proteins, and particularly about EFAs? Do you supplement, or derive them from seeds etc? I already eat seeds and nuts, and various manufactured vege proteins, but struggle to see how to get sufficient EFA's in my system.

My daughter's also a vege, doesn't much care for eggs, and I suspect if I give them up, she will too, so I want to make sure I get it right for her growing body, as much as for myself.

Replies

• gendi
    gendi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got most of my initial information regarding a vegan diet (no animal products at all) from Dr Neal Barnard (online and then through his books). his focus is also on low gi and low fat - which is why I stay mostly with his advice because I want to lose some weight too. Google him and you will get a 21day kickstart website and a nutritionmd website of recipes and a pcrm website of information about veganism. Protein, calcium and everything else can be obtained fine from a vegan diet - some say a B12 vit needed, others say not if using fortified plant milks. I choose to take a basic multi vitamin.

This is my 2nd time of following a vegan plan and last time I remember how great I felt, but I cook also for my family who are not vegan and after awhile I just slipped back into a non vegan diet gradually and the weight came back on and I felt crap again and so here I go again doing this - but this time with more resolve. Not that it really takes resolve, because there is so much different food to eat, lots of things to try and I feel so much better when I eat this way. Just wish I could get the rest of my family to just eat what I do and not cook 2 meals ... some say that is my fault for doing it, but I choose to make a change and I don't feel (yet) like I can force it on them.

Best of luck.
  • emma1488
    Options
    I was thinking, WTF is an EFA? But i'm now guessing it's an essential fatty acid? Yes?
    I'm a lacto vegetarian, only eating eggs maybe once a week and only eggs from my chickens (i don't eat any products with egg in it). I have not felt better since eating this way. I used to eat eggs everyday, but a bad experience with one of my hens kind of put me off hard core. If you eat a very varied plant based diet you can get all you needs. Don't fall into the habit of eating processed faux meat. Eat heaps of different grains, as many fruit and vegies you can get your hands on, eat all the different types of nuts and seeds (in moderation, maybe over a week). But above all, do some research. In fact, do lots of research. This will help YOU to better your knowledge of what to eat. Feel free to add me, or you can check out my public diary.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Walnuts, leafy greens, soy, spirulina, and flax.
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The only thing with any egg product I have is quorn, I have been toying with stopping that over the last 6-9 months but haven't taken the plunge yet because it makes everything so easy especially cooking for non veges and I enjoy it. I eat all the other normal proteins such as pulses, nuts, seeds etc. The other things I do is have linseeds every day and a good oil, at the moment am using hemp oil, usually have them on breakfast but also nice on salads etc. Hope that helps.
  • emma1488
    Options
    The only thing with any egg product I have is quorn, I have been toying with stopping that over the last 6-9 months but haven't taken the plunge yet because it makes everything so easy especially cooking for non veges and I enjoy it. I eat all the other normal proteins such as pulses, nuts, seeds etc. The other things I do is have linseeds every day and a good oil, at the moment am using hemp oil, usually have them on breakfast but also nice on salads etc. Hope that helps.

Do you have fry's products where you live?
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have just found this amazing site which lists a whole range of super healthy foods, what the benefits you gain from each and it also has a little grid which shows you what they are high in eg Omega 3, iron, etc etc

It's been a real eyeopener for me! Hope it will help you and any others interested in tracking this sort of thing in their diet.

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Thanks Emma - yes, essential fatty acids.

Because I've been a vege a long time, I do have a nice varied diet - eat lots of veg, nuts, seeds, and dairy. I do eat the fake meats (sorry, but I like them :-) ).

It sounds like from what people are saying, I should just stop worrying about it!

Thanks everyone.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I get mine from hemp, raw olives, avocado, chia seed, and from (sparing!) use of salad dressings.

I just learned about Udo oil, which I have not tried yet - I picked up a similar salad dressing/EFA blend at VegFest in Portland, which is a blend of several oils with some seasonings. An itty bit goes a long way, but also tastes good!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Udo oil does sound interesting. And thibautseeker, that's a great link!
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    Ovo-lacto here (but very little.) I take an Ovega-3. It's a vegetarian Omega supplement (plant source.) I would give that do your daughter just in case she doesn't dig the spurlena, kale, seaweed and other natural goodies. I would also give her a good children's multi to ensure she's getting enough B-12 (but I'm sure you already know that.) A colorful diet rich in whole grains and beans should give you plenty of protein. I don't like how MFP always makes it seem like these sources are so low in protein! I don't think they're calculated accurately. If you're still worried, read the China Study and you'll stop. Hahaha. :bigsmile:
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Raw hemp protein! It is a cpomplete protein plus has a great omega 3 and omega 6 ratio. It also has a lot of iron and calcium. You can't go wrong with hemp! I would sugest getting raw hemp protein powder and mix it in smoothies.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Thanks so much. I really appreciate all these suggestions. Incredibly helpful to know how real life veges do things, rather than websites.