Break it down for me

Options
I keep over eating . I’m trying to use my food scale everyone is having success but I over think things . This app could be simple but I maybe over complicating things I know my weight has been kind of staying the same . Just make it clear what I need to do coming from some one who tends to overthink and tends to do trial and error. My diary is open if u look at end of July to end of august 2021 was doing well but didn’t know what I did to get those results

Replies

• Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So my weight stayed the same until I stopped eating back my exercise calories. Sometimes MFP seriously over estimates burns. I suggest you customize exercises and add them as burning 1 calorie so that you don't get over estimations. Then if you feel you're losing weight too fast after 2-3 weeks you can up the calories for the exercises you're doing. Hope this helps.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    How do I get to your diary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open to people who are not your MFP friends.
  • Purplestuff102
    Purplestuff102 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My diary is public now
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I first setup MFP, I chose my activity level based on my job and normal life. I chose sedentary. I ate that number of calories. Then I incorporated deliberate walking (trying for 10000 steps +/-) but I never ate back those calories. I'm on maintenance now (and increased my calories to stop losing) and still don't eat those back. Track accurately by measuring with a scale as much as possible.
  • AnnPT77
    edited June 2022
    Options
    When I first setup MFP, I chose my activity level based on my job and normal life. I chose sedentary. I ate that number of calories. Then I incorporated deliberate walking (trying for 10000 steps +/-) but I never ate back those calories. I'm on maintenance now (and increased my calories to stop losing) and still don't eat those back. Track accurately by measuring with a scale as much as possible.

If you stopped losing, you're eating those walking calories back, in effect. You're just accounting for them in the increased calorie base. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you keep watching the scale, and adjusting eating for any material changes in activity level.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I looked at your diary then (August 2021) and now, and am not sure what you're asking.

What has changed in your life since then? In particular, have you gained/lost baseline weight (how much?), or changed daily life routine or exercise in some significant way?

I see that you appear to have been synching exercise through Pacer then, and it looks like directly from Apple now. It's complicated, and I'm not expert, but depending on circumstances, some people can get better guidance from the Pacer synch vs. direct from Apple.

How long have you been at it this time, without seeing results . . . and what *exactly* does "weight kind of staying the same" mean? What time period? No change in weight? Ups and downs? If so, through what range? Etc.

As a broad generality, if you're not losing over a 4-6 week time period, it would make sense to reduce calorie intake a little (or increase activity, if that's viable). But there are nuances to that, sometimes.
  • Purplestuff102
    Purplestuff102 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 i lost about 15 pounds in a month in august 2021 but I had gotten scared of success like man that was easy and stopped doing whatever I did I thought the scale was wrong. It took about a year to get to where I’m at now which is a 28 pound weight loss . I walk in morning and I lift weights before I walk I drink water I eat healthy . But I do have like value meals from like McDonald’s Burger King and like seven eleven . I haven’t consistently used the food scale and measuring cups and I’m realizing now that it is important I had like three pounds up 2 pounds down by eyeballing portion sizes . If using a food scale is just what needs to be done I’m trying my best to keep using it . I put it on kitchen counter where I have easy access to it. Is there any tips u can give to experience the weight loss that every one seems to be having. I keep thinking there is some magic secret but if I keep tracking and weighing and measuring accurately and be patient and give it time is that the key ?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @AnnPT77 i lost about 15 pounds in a month in august 2021 but I had gotten scared of success like man that was easy and stopped doing whatever I did I thought the scale was wrong. It took about a year to get to where I’m at now which is a 28 pound weight loss . I walk in morning and I lift weights before I walk I drink water I eat healthy . But I do have like value meals from like McDonald’s Burger King and like seven eleven . I haven’t consistently used the food scale and measuring cups and I’m realizing now that it is important I had like three pounds up 2 pounds down by eyeballing portion sizes . If using a food scale is just what needs to be done I’m trying my best to keep using it . I put it on kitchen counter where I have easy access to it. Is there any tips u can give to experience the weight loss that every one seems to be having. I keep thinking there is some magic secret but if I keep tracking and weighing and measuring accurately and be patient and give it time is that the key ?

Pretty much that, yes.

If you track carefully for around a month (full menstrual cycle if that applies), sticking to your calorie goal, and lose faster/slower than intended, adjust your goal to dial in the right sensible loss rate going forward.