susanalsaword Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice 😃
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I love my milky coffee and drank it the whole
    time I lost weight, at a low weight, and at a high weight. It’s a lifestyle decision I’m not going to change, those 300 calories are just going to go to that milk and sugar in my two cups of milky coffee each day. No regrets. You just have to make a decision on what’s worth the calories to you. I think of my calories like the money in the bank, I can save some for another day, spend just the amount I need, or overspend and cut back another day. If I overspend all the time I’m in debt which means I’ve gained weight.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Yeah... 300+ calories a day could definitely derail your diet. I agree that making them yourself at home, using no calorie sweetners, is probably the way to go.
  • crackon20
    crackon20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did switch to black coffee to have less dairy in my diet and also cut calories. For about a week ir so it tasted bitter. Then as time went by...delicious. Now I do not like the taste of coffee with milk or cream. I would suggest you try medium roast coffee, not dark roast and give it some time.
  • susanalsaword
    Options
    Ok thanks🙂
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love my lattes. I have swapped to unsweetened almond or coconut milk (30-60 cal per cup), a splash of vanilla, and sugar free syrup. For me, I don’t mind trying to find better options so I can still have them.
  • vkdydm596h
    vkdydm596h Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are definitely very low-no calorie creamers and sweeteners out there could also try putting a bit less everyday until it’s not horrible to have no creamer in your coffee
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Silk makes an excellent plain almond-cashew milk that is 25 calories per cup. It’s very good in coffee.

Having said that, though, I changed over to fat-free half and half. Lidl’s is 20 calories per serving, most other brands are 20-25.

I use Skinny Syrups in my coffees and chai. There’s dozens of flavors. I tend to like chocolate ones in coffee. Right now I’m on a chocolate waffle cone coffee kick. I like SS much better than the Torani syrups. They taste bad to me.

I can make a great milky sweet chai with oodles of froth for 37 calories and a nice coffee for about 22. And my mug holds two cups.

If you like froth, check out Ninja’s hand pump frother. 1/8c skim milk pumped and heated in the microwave makes about 3/4 cup of long lasting foam. (I swear I’m not a shill for Ninja! I’ve just found several of their products to be so helpful during loss and maintenance!)
  • susanalsaword
    Options
    Thank you great ideas
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 pounds and I take my coffee Triple cream no sugar.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Big mug of coffee, skim milk frothed with the Ninja hand frother @springlering62 mentioned. Each one is 61 calories, has 6.2g protein, 19.5% of daily calcium, 389mg potassium, 6.5% vitamin D, 2.6% vitamin C. I usually drink 2.

For me, 122 calories for 12.4g protein, over 20% of the day's potassium needs, and the luxury of the froth: Totally worth the calories, to me. (No sweetener: I don't like sweet hot coffee.) YMMV.

zpltkebobi8n.jpg

• susanalsaword
    Options
    Hello what is a Ninja hand frother, what coffee do you use? I use semi skimmed milk and my mug is the same size as yours, how is your coffee only 61 calories?😐
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hello what is a Ninja hand frother, what coffee do you use? I use semi skimmed milk and my mug is the same size as yours, how is your coffee only 61 calories?😐

No sugar of any type, and skimmed milk - about 5.5 fluid ounces (163ml) of it, per mug. Skimmed (nonfat) milk has 83 calories per cup (8 oz). Semi-skimmed milk is more calorie dense than that. I don't use any super-special kind of coffee: I buy whole beans, grind them with a small electric coffee grinder, make the coffee with a single-cup (#2) pour-through drip cone using boiled water.

I'm not associated with Amazon, but I'm linking the frother there just to show you what it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Coffee-Frother-Technology-CFFROTH/dp/B016ULW6T0

71Kzn7BXBEL._AC_SY879_.jpg

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

No sugar of any type, and skimmed milk - about 5.5 fluid ounces (163ml) of it, per mug. Skimmed (nonfat) milk has 83 calories per cup (8 oz). Semi-skimmed milk is more calorie dense than that. I don't use any super-special kind of coffee: I buy whole beans, grind them with a small electric coffee grinder, make the coffee with a single-cup (#2) pour-through drip cone using boiled water.

I'm not associated with Amazon, but I'm linking the frother there just to show you what it is:

This looks likes a french press, except it appears that the disks at the end of the rod aren't flush with the edges of the container.

When I want froth at home, I shake milk in a glass jar, removed the lid, and heat the milk in the microwave (heat and then shake leads to dangerous situations), watching it until the foam starts to rise. I wonder if I could use my french press instead. Do you heat the milk before or after using the frother?
  • AnnPT77
    Options

This looks likes a french press, except it appears that the disks at the end of the rod aren't flush with the edges of the container.

When I want froth at home, I shake milk in a glass jar, removed the lid, and heat the milk in the microwave (heat and then shake leads to dangerous situations), watching it until the foam starts to rise. I wonder if I could use my french press instead. Do you heat the milk before or after using the frother?

There's a fine-mesh screen between the disks that is flush with the glass. You heat the milk first, then froth. Heating again after frothing sort of sets the foam so it lasts longer.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

There's a fine-mesh screen between the disks that is flush with the glass. You heat the milk first, then froth. Heating again after frothing sort of sets the foam so it lasts longer.

Thanks, Ann.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    As many have suggested, you can change the amount of milk or sweetener to lighten it up. I love a latte too. I use soy milk, less than 1/4 cup usually, some Splenda or Monkfruit, and sometimes a little Ghirardelli sauce for a treat.

Sometimes I also use creamer but once the total calories add up it is still about 80 calories and I have one per day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You just have to prioritize your calories. You don't necessarily have to give anything up, you just have to decide what is worth it and what is not. You can also cut back and/or modify things to be less calorie dense. You can also move more to allow for more calorie dense treats.
  • susanalsaword
    Options
    Will try these great ideas 😊
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Help cannot give up the milky coffee, any ideas on how I can do this,
    Don't. Just account for the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor