how bad are popsicles?

Options
Boxing987
Boxing987 Posts: 143 Member
now that we are into summer is it really bad to be having those store popsicles every day? its 50 calories but 10g of carbs per popsicle and sometimes i like to have 3 or 4 lol

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    It’s only “bad” if it puts you over your calories for the day. Or if you have a medical condition that requires you to limit carbs and sugar.

But if your goal is weight loss, all that matters is that you stay within your calorie limit. The specific foods you eat are up to you.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    While I don’t disagree with the above posters, store bought popsicles are often empty calories of sugar water, so you can probably use those calories more efficiently to get some nutrition in. You might consider freezing some fruit like berries, pineapple, mango, watermelon, or some fruit juice, or some fruit in some juice, so you get vitamins (and if you are having the whole fruit - fiber). Just cut the fruit into chunks (or buy it precut) and thread it on to a skewer like you would use on the grill so that it doesnt all freeze in one big lump and freeze. The juice can be frozen in ice cube trays or you can buy actual popsicle making trays. Added benefit —you can use these to chill drinks without diluting them/to give them more flavor as they melt.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    While I don’t disagree with the above posters, store bought popsicles are often empty calories of sugar water, so you can probably use those calories more efficiently to get some nutrition in. You might consider freezing some fruit like berries, pineapple, mango, watermelon, or some fruit juice, or some fruit in some juice, so you get vitamins (and if you are having the whole fruit - fiber). Just cut the fruit into chunks (or buy it precut) and thread it on to a skewer like you would use on the grill so that it doesnt all freeze in one big lump and freeze. The juice can be frozen in ice cube trays or you can buy actual popsicle making trays. Added benefit —you can use these to chill drinks without diluting them/to give them more flavor as they melt.

Too much work. Let him buy/eat the damned popsicles. 😁

OP, I buy those 20 calories ice pop thingies from the No Longer $1 Store. There's nothing to them but the 30 seconds they take to eat are lovely. 😀
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Nah... imma just have the popsicle. 🤷‍♀️
  • glassyo
    Options
    Now I want a Big Stick.

9lcc1n3okjyd.png
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

I'm jumping on the 'eat the popsicle' wagon here...

1, not everything you eat needs to be 'nutritious'
    2. your body doesn't give you extra credit for going over on nutrients (and going over on some can have VERY bad results)
    3. way too much effort
    4. POPSICLES!!!!

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    If the work to make something "healthy" takes more calories and time than just eating the thing I actually want....I'm going to go for something I actually want to eat. If I want a popsicle, gnawing on a frozen chunk of pineapple just isn't going to scratch the same itch.
  • glassyo
    Options
    And, just cuz, there's the word water in sugar water so it counts towards hydration so there! :p
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I like to make popsicles at home, and my daughter loves them, too. I blend up starwberries, maple syrup, and lime juice...or whatever, and freeze the mixture in popsicle moulds. You can use a lot of different fruits or combinations. It's so easy and I find the popsicles often are more tasty and also have more fruit!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    yep, if you want to make your own home made version - do it.

If you want to buy a ready made one, do it.

either way, just make sure if fits into your calorie allowance.
  • californiagirl1969
    californiagirl1969 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I keep sugar free popcicles in my freezer there yummy, enjoy have to have some pleasures.