Help with Bread Choices in 2022

Options
stephbies
stephbies Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2022 in Food and Nutrition
I don't eat a ton of bread but would like recommendations on small wraps or healthy bread for avocado toast. I made the mistake of buying gluten free, it has more calories and carbs vs. Daves Killer Bread! I won't buy GF again as I have no allergies!!!
Tagged:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I eat Dave's Killer Bread. The 21 grain and seed. Tons of fiber.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat a lot of bread, why not just eat what you like? I can't be sure what you consider "a ton", but a loaf of bread lasts me at least a month, if not two. Since it's such a minimal part of my overall diet, I just buy the whitest, fluffiest, softest bread on the shelf and enjoy every bite. Obviously, if you eat bread more often, you might want to look into other options.
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I eat Dave's Killer Bread too. The powerseed one. I can only eat one piece at a time though, otherwise it'll mess with my stomach. I love that bread.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Wraps -- Mission Carb Balance tortillas. Good bread for avocado toast -- Ezekiel bread.

I don't really get why Dave's Killer Bread is considered "healthy." It has so much added sugar -- 5g per slice, more than almost any other bread on the market. I do like their whole-wheat everything bagels every once in a while. But I don't know why they need to add so much sugar.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I'm also someone who doesn't particularly crave bread: A lot of the bread stuff I used to eat was just unquestioned habit, or as a helpful "container" for food (wrap or sandwich).

During weight loss, I mostly went in the direction of nutrient-density, but with a side goal of relatively low calories. My routine bread, when I still eat some, is Ezekiel pita or taco-size Ezekiel tortillas. Personally, I find those especially tasty, plus convenient (I keep them in the freezer), nutritious, and calorie-efficient.

Once in a rare-ish while, I eat some special bread-thing as a treat, usually something from a local artisan bakery that makes amazing focaccia and soft pretzels.

In a larger sense, I decreased my overall bread consumption, because it really didn't delight me: Instead of sandwiches/wraps at home, I often dropped the bread part and increased the fillings-part, so I guess it turned into a meal of (say) cheese with mustard to dip it in, and a big stack of raw veggies; or a salad.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Kroger Multiseed "Carbmaster". Sold in other markets under the house brand of Ralph's, Payless, and PicNSave
    wqaqlk5b8imo.jpg
  • The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own Whole Wheat Sugar Free bread is good and only 50 calories per slice.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Not a major bread eater here. I mostly eat it at breakfast with eggs over easy. A store-bought loaf of bread lasts me at least a month - or a month or two goes by without eating any. As soon as I get a loaf home, I divide it into thirds, wrap and freeze. Since I eat bread infrequently, I buy what I like. Usually a tasty multi-grain or bakery rye with caraway seeds.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I buy the Vons/Safeway/Pavilions cheapo 50 calories a slice white bread and it lasts me a week. And the heels have no calories. :)

I usually eat a couple slices with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and splenda/cinnamon.