New Guy to the Site

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm Michael, 37 year old Army Officer, I have been doing P90X for 3 weeks. I started using myfitnesspal today and i must say, it's great; however, I am trying to put in the P90X workout for my exercise and cannot seem to find them anywhere. I hope someone can tell me what the calorie burn is. The issue that I am having is I feel that I'm not getting enough calories (kinda feeling run down). I know that i am not getting the proper calories. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Shannoncore
    Options
    it all depends on the person. the best way to get an accurate reading is a HRM. that way you gave an almost exact number for what you need.
  • ryleepickens
    Options
    ive heard amazing things about p90x!!! i havent been physically active in the last 2 years unless chaising around kids counts lol. but i really want to try something that will kick my butt in gear. would u recomend it to a young busy mom like me?
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hi Michael,

I would also recommend you get a HRM.. Although just be aware there have been discrepancy's discussed through the forums on the accuracy of both exercise machine and HRM counts. I guess everything really is an estimate, if you feel like you need more you probably do : )
  • RippedArmyGuy
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I just thought there was a estimate somewhere. I just hate wearing a heart monitor, I wear the iPhone on my arm and hate to wear something on the other arm. Having said that, i do a lot during the day so it would be beneficial to wear the monitor (body bug) to accurately get a good count of calories burned during the day. I wish there was an iPhone app that did what the body bug does.

ryleepickens
    I would highly recommend P90X, it is great because there isn't a lot of equipment needed, unlike cross fit. I have worked out my whole life but had let myself go for the last year or so and gained 30 lbs. My wife and I do the workout together now and push each other. I can tell you about P90X if you follow the program which includes the diet, you will see phenomenal results. I would recommend that you do the measurements and take the fit test, and then a month later remeasure, you will see just how many inches you have lost, It will shock you. My kids (who are extreme athletes) actually do the workout with my wife and I. This workout can work for someone just getting off the couch or someone that is an highly productive athlete. It is up to you to workout and i encourage you to just start and keep pushing. Best of luck to you and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
  • Samuisunshine
    Options
    Funnily enough my hubby is in the army and we were just discussing the same thing about the iPhone. There are loads of aps though, it's just knowing which to use. What is body bug?
  • RippedArmyGuy
    Options
    I know the iPhone couldn't possibly do what the body bug does but it would be nice. I think my Wife (who is a fitness fanatic) and I will take the plunge and buy the body bug. I just hate buying something that expensive. Where is your husband stationed?

The Body Bug monitors all calories that you burn during the day to include sleeping. You wear the arm band all the time (not in the shower or bath....LOL) it is what the contestants wear on the biggest looser. I would recommend to do the research, Im confident that you will come to the same conclusion that I'm at....Is you will purchase one. best of luck to you and your husband.
  • Samuisunshine
    Options
    I know the iPhone couldn't possibly do what the body bug does but it would be nice. I think my Wife (who is a fitness fanatic) and I will take the plunge and buy the body bug. I just hate buying something that expensive. Where is your husband stationed?

We are currently in Hampshire as he is on course.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would wear a body bug or hrm for a week just to get the average calories burned per work out. Once you do that, you can create a new exercise on MFP and it will adjust to your weight and time spent. Then use the body bug/hrm maybe once every week or 2 weeks to make sure it is still accurate. :)
  • tjoggie
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, just started my 4th week of P90X, and absolutely love it. The estimate they give you in the book is about 600 cal per workout but I think that is based on a global avg of 4200 per week divided by 7 workouts. Obviously you are burning more calories during Plyo than shoulders and arms. I have been using around 500 per workout just as an average estimate. If you want something more concrete you're going to have to shell out the money.

Feel free to add me as a friend as we seem to be on the same track.

Unless of course you can't have a Navy Officer as your friend....

-Tyler