Haven’t lost any weight in the first week

Options
mandywill702015
mandywill702015 Posts: 5 Member
edited June 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I’m a 52 year old woman who “weighed in” at 61.2 kg last week when I decided I wanted to lose a few kegs and get a bit more active.
This whole week I have kept up with my 10000 (usually a lot more) steps at a brisk walk and kept below my 1200 calories a day… 7 days later and just weighed in at 61.1! Booooo
I thought I would have lost at least 1kg!
Is this normal? Is it my age? My goal weight is 54kgs which was my weight before kids. It only went slightly up after (57-59kgs) and 61-62 has been my heaviest.

Replies

• SherilynkMoore
    SherilynkMoore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had to look up how many pounds a keg was. Lol. So, you're 136 lbs. Is that right? I think you're not losing because maybe you're thin already.? It may take more time to drop when you're not really fat. I'm over 200 & just started a few days ago, eating about what you are, maybe a bit less but no exercise really and have lost a few lbs already. But it's because there's so much to lose.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Our body weight fluctuates every day from differences in water weight and food waste in our system. That's why we need to look at the long term trend when judging our progress. One week is really short, especially if you only weigh yourself once a week.

If those 10k+ steps are new, that alone could be causing water retention.

So basically: try to be more patient, weight loss comes from long term consistency.

Also, it's probably not a good idea to aim for a loss of 1kg per week at your weight, you risk losing muscle mass along with fat, which isn't a good thing. Eating 'below' 1200 calories (how much below?) could be too low for you, which could also be causing water retention from the stress of the calorie deficit. If 1200 is the number MFP gave you, you should know that MFP will never give a calorie goal below 1200 calories for women, to ensure adequate nutrition. If you got that number, you probably selected a weight loss rate that is too aggressive. 1200 calories a day is only appropriate for a minority of women (older/shorter/sedentary).
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    1200 calories…that sounds horrible, something pro bodybuilders do days before show
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your age isn't a factor - we can be impatient at any age! :)
    You need a lot more time and data points to work out what your weight trend is doing.

I would be more concerned that you are trying for such a quick rate of weight loss.

PS - did you pick an activity level appropriate for 10,000 steps?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    When you don't have much to lose it comes off slowly. A half a pound a week is what you should be aiming for--that's about .250 kg a week. You also need to watch your calories closely and log accurately with 2 kgs(5 lbs) to lose. Patience and changing things up to find yourself in a comfortable losing position is where you want to be. Good luck.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    azuki84 wrote: »
    1200 calories…that sounds horrible, something pro bodybuilders do days before show

Eh, it's all relative... at 5 ft, if I'm not exercising, my maintenence is around 1500, and to lose weight, I have to go down to around 1200 to 1300 and don't get particularly hungry. A six foot tall bodybuilder has a much higher appetite than I do.
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Maybe it wants to come off next week. You might just be on the cusp of a huge weight loss. [:)]
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think it’s too soon to lose weight. Give it a month before stepping on the scale. Good luck! You rock!