Fitness Tips and Exercise

Options
Fitness Tip: mentally be strong

I’ve recently started the Army Fitness Test because why not, and I’ve been really pushing myself through these workouts. I was doing the overhead press and I could feel my body fatigue and I wanted to stop because I was “uncomfortable”. Instead, I kept pushing myself through the reps and I could feel my muscles get warm. At the end of the sets, I was satisfied I didn’t give up.

Conclusion, push yourself, be mentally strong, physically be strong, and be mindful of your body (connect the mind and body).

Replies

• erprincipexoxo
    erprincipexoxo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Form is on point. When my muscles are exhausted (fatigued), they’ll let me know. @NorthCascades
    In the meantime, my deltoids, obliques, and gastrocnemius are poppin’; lookin sooooo good right now.
    Reminder: stay mentally strong and lift, lift, lift!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Conclusion, push yourself, be mentally strong, physically be strong, and be mindful of your body (connect the mind and body).

I agree with the need to occasionally push beyond our comfort zones in order to make progress. This often helps newer folks keep after it rather than settling in to the "same ol, same ol" level of effort.

With that said, the bolded section is by far the most relevant, IMO, for folks who have been at it for awhile. We understand the benefits of continuing when fatigued, especially in the endurance activities. The risk comes when we lose the mindfulness and push on despite warning signs. My wife works for an orthopedic practice, and she describes many athletes as "frequent flyers" to PT and orthopedic work, due to their habit of ignoring the body's warning signs.