Strength program for women

Options
jadu1536
jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
Can anyone suggest a good strength gaining program for women ?

Replies

• JAC581
    JAC581 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just started doing HASfit videos on YouTube and really enjoy them. I am a total beginner and have been sticking to shorter videos, but they seem to have a wide variety of skill levels available.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Two of the most common marketed to women are Strong Curves and New Rules of Lifting for Women. Both are good programs...but in reality a woman can run any program a man can run. Your actual programming would heavily depend on your goals in the weight room.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Women aren't that different, really (speaking as one myself).

All individuals have some areas that are relatively weaker, others relatively stronger, so we might need to do some phase-in adaptations when starting a generic boilerplate program. Some of that has gendered statistical patterns to it. A statistical pattern may or may not apply to you as an individual. If you start a program, you can figure out where you, as an individual, may need to adapt the program (if some part of it is too hard/risky).

All of us have different specific goals, and some of those (realistically) tend to be gendered (though not universally). That might lead you to select a program different from a man . . . but maybe not. I'll bet you can identify your individual goals.

There's a thread here with lots of programs other MFP-ers have used, and found helpful. There's good discussion of the programs, goals, pros/cons, etc., all in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Don't let strength training intimidate you. You can do this, you can figure out what'll work for you.

Best wishes for success!
  • terrorsmurf
    terrorsmurf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The one I see recommended the most is The Women's Book: A Guide to Nutrition, Fat Loss, and Muscle Gain by Lyle McDonald
  • Bodenista
    Bodenista Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Caroline Garvin on YouTube.

Iron Series and Fuel Series.

All her workouts are great, I love her kettlebell ones and abs ones too.

Pilates will also build strength and flexibility - Move with Nicole on Youtube
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you want a lifting program with free weights, dumbbells, machines, a combination? Something at the gym or home? For the gym, I like stronglifts 5x5. It's meant for bars and plates, doesn't require dumbbells or machines... perfect for my weight room at work. But...if all you have is dumbbells at home, you need something else. I like Sydney Cummings or Cdornerfitness if only strength training at home with limited equipment.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I started with Stronglifts 5x5
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Can never go wrong with a full body program 3-5x a week
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I’ve started using the EvolveYou app. Just finished the first week and it’s seem to be well planned so far
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I started with New Rules of Lifting (the original), checked out NROL for women from the library, and then did STRONG (NROL). I would recommend any of their programs. They are long programs (9-12 months in STRONG).

Stephanie Buttermore's programs are on sale right now for 4th of July. I haven't used hers, but I've used Jeff Nippard's and I understand their styles are similar.

I've had Stronger By the Day by Meg (of MegSquats) recommended highly to me, but it's a subscription and app and I'm not about that right now.