Please help!

Options
I am so frustrated. I have been at this for a couple weeks now and instead of losing, I have gained 2 lbs. It is not the muscle vs. fat thing either. So I have been eating under goal, exercising every day and BAM 2 lb. gain. WTH??? I want to cry, seriously. Why am I making the effort? I am hopeful that the gain is because a friend is visiting but still. This is completely ridiculous. :(

Replies

• stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    can you open up your diary so we can have a look to more help you
  • 1952may
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I too have been doing this for almost three weeks and haven't lost a pound. I am eating healthier though and I think it is great to keep a log of what I am eating. I am a little discouraged though about no weight loss yet.
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You may be eating under but you may be eating too little or just simply making the incorrect food choices. Look at your daily routines re-evaluate and make the approriate changes. Changing your exercise routines also helps to lose, change it up every 30 days to keep you losingand interested! Good luck! :smile:
  • Khadines
    Khadines Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I want to assume your probably not eating enough.....
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not you may have plateaued if that situation is the norm. For clarification, see my blog (link below)
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What are you eating and doing for exercise?
  • emiller1983
    Options
    I would say your diet needs to be re-evaluated.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If you are doing everything as you say, it must be water weight gain. Don't give up. Also, make sure your calories are of high quality! not just processed stuff to make up for the exercise calories, if that makes sense.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to eat more -When you exercise this puts you at a deficit. It seems like a lot of people do better when they eat their recommended allowance PLUS their exercise calories.

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    if your exercising every single day but your also eating under, i would assume your not eating enough. i didnt look at your diary but if you open it up that would help. bump up your calorie intake. how many calories are y ou allowed now?
  • Renise01
    Renise01 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Many people make the mistake of eating UNDER the calorie goal! The goal is something to MAKE not to be below. MFP has calculated based on the info YOU provided how much you should eat to lose weight. Crazy as it sounds you need to meet this goal to help you lose weight safely and keep it off. Also give it time, a couple of weeks isn't enough to decide if its working. If you're just starting out wait at least a month of healthy food choices AND exercise before you step on the scale. You can do it!
  • ozpom60
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem---lost 1LB/week the 1st 2 weeks then gained 1LB on week 3. Last week I lost 2LB but this week I seem to have put 1.5LB back on, even though I've been exercising & watching what I eat. Yes, it IS really frustrating & I don't know the answer to it! I've lost count of all the diets I've tried (including Jenny Craig, but the weight started going back on once I started eating my own food!!!) I only need to lose about 4kg but can't shift it And keep it off. Good luck, anyway! Sally
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Consider time of the month?

Get your friends to look at your diary. Could be water retention.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really really appreciate the support and ya'll may be right. Many days I eat under the goals. Especially with exercising, I find it hard to eat that much. There are days I have gone over and not eaten quality food but for the most part I think I am doing okay. I will keep at it and maybe ramp up my exercise, food, and water intake. I know I can do better on the water.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Many people make the mistake of eating UNDER the calorie goal! The goal is something to MAKE not to be below. MFP has calculated based on the info YOU provided how much you should eat to lose weight. Crazy as it sounds you need to meet this goal to help you lose weight safely and keep it off. Also give it time, a couple of weeks isn't enough to decide if its working. If you're just starting out wait at least a month of healthy food choices AND exercise before you step on the scale. You can do it!

this. eat up to (more or less) what MFP tells you to. it is already giving you a calorie deficit. and you need to re-eat some, most, or all of your calories burned. sometimes i eat all, sometimes i don't, i do not starve myself, but some days i've done a 1200 calorie work out, and i just can't eat that much extra!!!

my best advice is that you start the morning strong. look at the quote in my signature. Your big calorie intakes should be in the morning and afternoon. its difficult to change that habit, as many of us are accustomed to a BIG dinner, but a big healthy breakfast is a great way to takle the day.

do not look at the the louis CK quote. thats their to remind me of how i used to eat.
  • Elaine631
    Options
    I woman's body changes weight constantly during the month but double check your sodium keep that no more than 350 a meal and no more than 1500 a day. Watch your sugar intake and drink lots of water, i read a quote today that I will say to you " our bodys is the baggage we must carry through life, the more excess the baggage the shorter the trip. Unfortantely it is not quite the same as emptying and suit case and trading it in for a small one. It takes time.
    Up your exercise also this is all stuff that will lead to success
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your serving sizes? I found that the weight started coming off quite easily when I actually measured and weighed my food. My eyeballing it wasn't cutting it and I was just plain eating too large of servings.
  • taliaparaha
    taliaparaha Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi this too has happened to me! Don't give up like I did!! It's definately because of your friend ;) trust me ! Keep up what your doing you'll definitely see the results you want to see in a few days or a week, just let your body sort it's self out.. Apparently you can gain up to 2 k.g. (not sure what that is in pounds ) while your on your period.. Hope this helps :) and don't give up!!
  • thistleandfi
    thistleandfi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    (((hugs)))

I saw this after I replied to your update but girrrrl, do NOT give up! You can totally do this. Give your body some time to acclimate to the changes you are making and yourself time to enjoy your friend visiting :) things will turn around. I don't know if any of what I said would work for you but as your twin if there's anything I can do, let me know. Try out the measuring tape approach, I know on weeks I"ve been disappointed I've been happy surprised at the change in inches. Don't let the scale rule you :heart:
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you are under eating and over exercising it will be hard to see the pounds drop. Try a "cheat day" or two. Eat whatever you want. Then go back to your normal diet. You should see some weight loss. Sometimes you have to trick the body a little. Also if your gonna really exercise eat your 1200 calories.