Hip replacements

Options
Helloooo
I had a hip replacement in January of this year and having other side done in 4 days. I’ve put on 12kg due
To being able to do very little. I still walk 10,000 steps daily. Any ideas?

Replies

• rvqrnkvbg2
    rvqrnkvbg2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey. I just had mine May 16. How are and what are your thoughts on exercise
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    You do have to modify your calorie intake if you are going to lower your activity substantially.

I personally am waiting for hip surgery (preservation, not replacement) and have barely been able to walk for a year, much less exercise with any vigor and I've actually lost weight by modifying my diet to compensate for the amount of time lying in bed.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    After my December hip replacement, I anticipated being somewhat less active for a while, so dropped my calorie goal by 200 per day. I also made sure to keep up my water and fiber intake. Both help with feeling sated and full on fewer calories, and both help immensely with the inevitable constipation that accompanies surgery.

I also committed to being a PT allstar :-) If the therapist said 3 sets of 10, I worked my way up to 12, then 15. Definitely a mindset thing, but it helped me focus on recovering rather than the pain or boredom