I feel defeated

edinat
edinat Posts: 159 Member
I feel so defeated on 7/1 i was 224.5 on 7/5 im 229. I feel like all my work this month went down the drain. If i stop it will get worse, and i cant handle this yoyo progress anymore. 😭

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    edited July 2022
    It's okay, weight fluctuations are all part of the game. If you haven't over-eaten 17,500 calories (3500 calories is roughly equivalent to one pound in weight,) then it's just a little fluctuation, keep doing the right things and it will go the other way.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,703 Member
    I gained 3.5 lbs over the past 6 six days. But I'm not feeling defeated, I've been logging my daily weigh-ins for nearly three years and I know this is part of 'the game' of weight management. I know how much I've been eating, so this is just a blip (water retention from salt and stress, most likely) and I just need to be consistent.
    Don't let the scale define your worth! Focus on your actions, not that silly number on the scale that is just a snapshot :smile:
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Listen to the commenters. Weight fluctuation is normal. If you're reallly bothered, you can get one of those apps that give you your weight trends.
    My weight can fluctuate by as much as 15lbs if I exercised, got my period and ate something salty. Doesn't mean I gained a bunch of fat.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,304 Member
    I recognize and understand that weight fluctuations happen daily and are a normal process of how our body is handling 'things', including the food and liquids we consumed ... and have been using the 5-pound marker to set as mini goals along the way of weight loss as I move from the high 200's to closer and closer to the 100's on the scale.

Image my shock and surprise when I read recently in a MFP blog that those fluctuations can be as high as 10 pounds! ... Because that means that my actual weight loss is so slight that it's taken me 2 years to actually drop 10 pounds ... I've been mostly 'maintaining' my weight rather than losing.

And then ... another surprise .. I found that this helped me to relax about the fluctuations I see every time I step on the scale. It's made it easier for me to make tiny changes in the food I eat (for the sake of maintaining health); changes that will stay with me for the long haul. That frees up my motivation to focus on the maintaining a small caloric intake deficit ... and I do that by relying on portion control. And that frees me up to work on other areas of my life that I want to improve upon.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,733 Member
    edited July 2022
    Close up of short period during my actual personal weight loss (where the horizontal-ish solid line is weight trend, and the ends of the vertical lines (away from the trend line) are the individual daily weigh-ins:

xpv5p9yab0f6.png

Zoom out to the overall context, i.e., a longer time horizon that includes that very same short time period. You'll see that any given short time period has pretty-major ups and downs day to day in what the scale said, and sometimes even the trend line (a statistical projection from losses) levels out, but that the overall trend is heading downward pretty fast (too fast for my best health for a while there, by accident - don't do that!).

tqsq0viiqckk.png

This is how weight loss looks, in real life, pretty much. Hang in there. Play the long game. It can work.

Despair, misery, guilt . . . they're not helpful. They don't burn any extra calories. They feel icky. Work on avoiding them, if you can.

ETA P.S.: . . . and the above was for a woman in menopause. For women who have monthly cycles, the fluctuations can be much more dramatic!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edinat wrote: »
    I feel so defeated on 7/1 i was 224.5 on 7/5 im 229. I feel like all my work this month went down the drain. If i stop it will get worse, and i cant handle this yoyo progress anymore. 😭

Losing weight isn't a linear process. Bodyweight isn't static, it fluctuates. You need to look at the long term trend. This is what losing weight looks like plotted on a graph.

Weight-Loss-Reality-Feature-1024x538.png
  • ZombieSmartiez
    ZombieSmartiez Posts: 3 Member
    Don't be defeated sweets!

Weight fluctuates depending on time of day or day of the week or how much water you have drunk.

Honestly you got this and keep going ❤️
  • Dreamroper
    Dreamroper Posts: 39 Member
    I understand how you feel. I had a good drop and then back up. I know it was too much salt, but it's still discouraging. Everyone here is saying the correct thing however. It's one step forward, two steps back, 3 steps forward, one step back, etc. etc. Good luck. You can do this and you are not alone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    To stop yoyo progress in most scenarios, you need to stop yoyo behavior. No one can expect to continue to lose weight at the same exact rate each week. And if you happened to overeat due to the holiday, while one day doesn't ruin a month's work, it can totally play psychological games with your head.
    Get back on program. Be diligent. You don't succeed from quitting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png