Permanent Scars

Options
Greetings my friends!! So I wanted to add this one this morning because I have always loved it and its something we really all need to think about. Much to often through our day we say things to others either in a hurry for some reason or out of uncontrolled emotion. Well we must remember that because they are simply words and they are said so quickly that they are wounds that usually cut deeper than the ones that bleed, and for some they never heal. I remember things that were said to me way back in elementary school. I was a picked on kid most of my child years. So today and for everyday just stop and think with your head and not your heart and save someone you love another wound that may never heal. Two big things I learned growing up "Think before you speak" and "Never lose face" Have a wonderful day everyone!! Much love! =0)

The Fence

There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the fence. The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily, gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said "you have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one." You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there. Make sure you control your temper the next time you are tempted to say something you will regret later.

- Author Unknown

Replies

• alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I hadn't read that one in years and def needed the reminder. Hope your day is amazing! :)
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thank you so much for the post!
    A great reminder to all of us.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Very nice!
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    nice reminder. thanks for posting
  • mjshmily
    mjshmily Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you. A good thought for the start of the day!
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    very nice. a good reminder. thanks for sharing. :smile:
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    That is so true and a great reminder. Thanks for posting!
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for sharing =)
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Wow. So true. I still recall things that were said to me as a child and through life more than I remember any physical injury.

Thank you. I will be sharing this with my kiddos.
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    What a thoughtful way to start our day! Thanks for posting. Somehow my husband can't seem to understand that when we have a disagreement and I remain silent, it is because I would MUCH rather say nothing, than to say something I can NEVER take back.

I am 53 years old and the most prevalent memory I have about elementary school is Day 1 of First grade. A heavy set girl was crying because she missed her Mom. The teacher (a NUN, no less) said, "Oh, look at the baby elephant washing our floor with her tears."

I was mortified that an adult would say such a thing to a child...and a supposed charitable Catholic Nun, at that. The sad thing is, after all these years I have NEVER forgotten those words and that was the most vivid memory I have of my 8 elementary school years. Sad, isn't it? If those words affected me in that way, imagine how that heavy set girl felt. I think of her often.

We can't un-ring the bell...............
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    What a thoughtful way to start our day! Thanks for posting. Somehow my husband can't seem to understand that when we have a disagreement and I remain silent, it is because I would MUCH rather say nothing, than to say something I can NEVER take back.

I am 53 years old and the most prevalent memory I have about elementary school is Day 1 of First grade. A heavy set girl was crying because she missed her Mom. The teacher (a NUN, no less) said, "Oh, look at the baby elephant washing our floor with her tears."

I was mortified that an adult would say such a thing to a child...and a supposed charitable Catholic Nun, at that. The sad thing is, after all these years I have NEVER forgotten those words and that was the most vivid memory I have of my 8 elementary school years. Sad, isn't it? If those words affected me in that way, imagine how that heavy set girl felt. I think of her often.

I have similiar memories of my elementary years. I was actually embarrassed quite badly from my second grade teacher. Everytime she would look in our desks to see or neatness if mine was a mess she would dump it out onto the floor in front of everyone and I would have to pick everything up while everyone watched. She even picked me up out of my chair once by my hair. It is a day that I will never forget for the rest of my life. I remember it as I am sitting there right now. Sorry to hear about your experience.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    wow. nice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options

Lol, I went to a catholic school and believe me when I say, nuns aren't the best people. They are like you an me and some of them have dealt with some real issues in their own life before becoming one. I mean if you take on a life of obstaining from any sexual relationship, which isn't natural IMO, then something happened to them when they were kids. And now with the protection of religion, they may feel it's okay to talk down to some kids. I saw it when I was going to school so I know it happens.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I've never read that before!
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Chicks dig scars lol,unless its on them. :tongue: