Anyone else really picky?

Options
I am finding it very hard to eat really healthy meals because most recipes that I find have things in it that I absolutely hate. I hate the taste of advocados so I can't eat those at all. I don't like mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, most cooked vegetables or cottage cheese. What's left? *sigh*

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat things I don't like. I just call it a have too! I think all of us would much rather have a piece of cake instead of a salad but it's a have too. You just have to force yourself. JUST MY OPINION..:flowerforyou:
  • lauram_23
    lauram_23 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love salad, and actually not a fan of cake haha..Weird I know!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I eat my avocados dipped in yoghurt, scrummylicious! try it?
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thats why I don't eat what most would consider 'healthy' foods. Life is to short so I eat what I love.
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My 11 year old son is extremely picky. And it's a battle switching him over t healthier foods. And I too had healthy food issues when I was young. But slowly but surely I changed my brain and though processes. I had been brainwashed by television and commercials my whole life and eventually just had to tune out. (Those people are just trying to sell me things anyway that I don't want to buy.) One by one by one I'd eventually have whatever I didn't like prepared in a way that was enjoyable. And over the years my taste buds completely changed. I got tired of eating hamburgers and pizza all the time and even sweets are now a thing of the past. I never get dessert. Not even interested. I know right where it goes and I'll pass. :)

Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well, there's eggs, the cooked veg that you DO like, chees that isn't cottage....

Yoghurt? Nuts? Chicken?
  • phantum
    Options
    I don't like avocados, mushrooms, tomatoes, or onions either. What I do like to do, though, is add veggies that I do like to basic salad blends like snap peas and celery - YUM!

10559549.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kkinse
    kkinse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly picky eater for sure (i also dislike everything on your list with the exception of mushrooms) , and I NEVER force myself to eat stuff like salad because I really dislike it (with the exception of the odd spinach salad with pineapple and raspberry vingegrette...but I could hardly eat it more than once a month tops)

Honestly, I don't think you will be able to find a long-term solution for weight loss if you don't incorporate the foods you DO like. I for example love pizza and pasta. So instead of depriving myself of them, I either make lower cal versions of them, or save 700 or 800 calories for dinner and have my entire half of a medium Domino's pizza. I've gone from 200 lbs to 140 so I think I must be doing something right.

As for healthy suggestions, fresh fruit, hummus, apparently you like salad so go for it (just make sure you know what's in it, salads can be 700+ cals if you aren't careful), oatmeal, yogurt, stick to 100 cal treats if you're like me and like a "real" snack with lunch and drink lots of water (this IS the one thing i forced myself to like...at 80 cals a glass, my lover koolaide and I had to part ways)

I also really like the site skinnytaste.com as the author makes tasty tasty foods into low cal versions :) mmm
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    Wanna talk about picky?? I'm uber picky. And it sucks. Try Allrecipes.com There are a lot of recipes on there and of course, you can adjust the recipes to your liking. You'd be surprised how many different ways you can make something...
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I am finding it very hard to eat really healthy meals because most recipes that I find have things in it that I absolutely hate. I hate the taste of advocados so I can't eat those at all. I don't like mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, most cooked vegetables or cottage cheese. What's left? *sigh*

Suck it up and eat them.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    yes. very picky, I don't eat anything that's nailed down, can outrun me, is still crawling or bleeding. Oh and I don't eat anything bigger than me.
    I don't drink buttermilk, blue stuff or beer.
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm not so much picky as lazy.... fresh food takes more effort to keep fresh and eat before it goes bad. I also have a bad habit of not doing my dishes so then they pile up and I end up eating out for supper... boo.
  • grandtheftuno
    Options
    Not to sound like a jerk, or anything...but there are a lot more than 6 or 7 kinds of food out there. Are you sure you don't like cooked vegetables? Maybe you just don't like the way you've been cooking them? I really dislike a lot of microwaved vegetables. I'd rather stir fry, sautee, grill or roast a lot of my veggies.

It sounds more like you take issue with the textures of certain foods, and that you'd rather have more crispy foods. Celery? Peppers? Broccoli?
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    No. I don't have any aversions that affect my life. The foods I didn't like, I forced myself to get used to. Many of them I've actually come to enjoy.
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't consider my self super picky but to be honest I don't like most veggies which can make it hard. Unlike the previous post I don't believe in forcing myself to eat things I don't like (mushrooms are a big one for me too). I believe you can almost always find some kind of veggie that works for you (like you said, you like salad) and I just stick with those. For me its onion (I saute a whole bunch ever so often and will make that my major veggie with dinner topping everything with it), cooked broccoli, tomatoes, raw carrots, green beans, salad (particular romaine, spring mixes and baby spinach), and ironically spaghetti squash, I hate regular squash but the spaghetti kind topped with my favorite sauce is really good. Every one is different and has there own taste, as well as having to do things that work best for them to stay on track. For me, trying to force myself to eat things I don't like would be the quickest way to fail, but for some it may work for them. I will say, when I am eating those things they I don't like as well as others I always make sure to eat them first so that I walk away from the meal ending with the best tasting part of the meal rather then a veggie that I am just tolerating. Oh, also, if veggies are your main hang up and you like fruit the the V8 fusion juices. They are very good and if you believe the marketing they have a whole serving of veggies hidden by the sweet fruit taste. As with any juice you have to watch out for the sugar but it is an option. Good luck, there are things out there, you just have to get creative sometime.
  • Renise01
    Renise01 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I dislike everything on your list. Well, I kinda like tomato but only as it applies to salsa and pasta :-) I don't like most cooked veggies so I eat them raw. I love mixing pb and honey for a dip for my apples and celery. I love pizza so I make my own at home! Way less calories and it takes less time than ordering or even making a frozen one since its not frozen! I happen to LOVE bread and PASTA! In fact I'm addicted to them. So I eat them once every couple of weeks and really enjoy it. And I love Cold Stone Creamery and instead of getting a like it or love it size I get a kid scoop instead. There are lots of ways to really enjoy foods you love just be willing to experiment and make a few compromises - its kinda like marriage :-)
  • shabydonner
    Options

I also really like the site skinnytaste.com as the author makes tasty tasty foods into low cal versions :) mmm

I second skinnytaste.com, if you haven't checked it out your really should. Don't know how this hits you but I recently made her spinach artichoke dip and it was some of the best I've ever had.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    No. I don't have any aversions that affect my life. The foods I didn't like, I forced myself to get used to. Many of them I've actually come to enjoy.

Ditto. I actually lost a lot of foods I really liked because of food intolerances, I had relearn pasta, bread, and anything that is made with wheat/gluten/soy. Sometimes, you have to just get over an aversion to something and eat what is healthy, even if, at the moment, it doesn't fit your tastes.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    well excluding the things you named there are tons of other healthy foods.

Taste is 90% mental. If you start eating healthy your body will begin to prefer / crave healthy foods.

You should force yourself to try new healthy foods. Try it several times (3-5) before you make up your mind that you don't like it.

I think finding a wide variety of good tasting healthy food is key to sticking to a balanced diet
  • shabydonner
    Options
    I'm not so much picky as lazy.... fresh food takes more effort to keep fresh and eat before it goes bad. I also have a bad habit of not doing my dishes so then they pile up and I end up eating out for supper... boo.

I so here you, the first couple of weeks back on the wagon I am always fresh fruit and veggie crazy but after throwing away my third thing of moldy strawberries, brown banana's (freezer is full of them waiting to be turned into something edible), or wrinkled up tomatoes, I start heading back to the cans and frozen stuff more. Still its hard to beat good fresh fruit but I do a lot of frozen veggie as well as canned green beans. Oh, and I have the dishes problem too :ohwell: