Motivation is GONE

Options
Ok... so, from December '09 to April '10 I worked really hard, treated my body well, and lost almost 40 pounds. Woo-hoo! But then, last Spring, I completely lost my motivation. I've worked out only sporadically, and I know that I'm not eating the way I should. I've started smoking again, too, when my husband picked up the habit again (we had quit together, and then he joined the Army and started again! :grumble: )

The good news is that I've managed to keep off all but a few pounds of the weight I lost, all my clothing still fits, etc. BUT I just don't feel as good as I know I can. What I don't understand is why I can't seem to get motivated again! Obviously I know how to eat and work out to lose weight, so what is my problem??

Has anyone else experienced this? What have you done to get back in the groove?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It has to come from inside. Maybe give it a few days and see how you feel. You can always join a new exercise class. Sometime just doing something different is enough. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Ok... so, from December '09 to April '10 I worked really hard, treated my body well, and lost almost 40 pounds. Woo-hoo! But then, last Spring, I completely lost my motivation. I've worked out only sporadically, and I know that I'm not eating the way I should. I've started smoking again, too, when my husband picked up the habit again (we had quit together, and then he joined the Army and started again! :grumble: )

The good news is that I've managed to keep off all but a few pounds of the weight I lost, all my clothing still fits, etc. BUT I just don't feel as good as I know I can. What I don't understand is why I can't seem to get motivated again! Obviously I know how to eat and work out to lose weight, so what is my problem??

Has anyone else experienced this? What have you done to get back in the groove?
    Because you don't want it bad enough. People who lack motivation to do something either find it too difficult or it's not in there interest.
    Parents that don't help children with homework aren't motivated enough because they aren't that concerned about their child's education. If they were, they would help them.
    Gotta hate being fat more than the work it takes to get there.

You made a COMMITMENT according to your bio. Now finish it.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Motivation definitely comes from within. You have to want the change. It sounds like you still have the desire and motivation though, so perhaps it's the habit? Maybe if you pushed yourself and got back into the swing of things, it would become easier for you again?
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Your describing exactly how I feel right now.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've posted several things to the same effect, I totally understand the lack of motivation. I'm going to say 'bump' because i'm interested in the responses...no one seems to respond to me...maybe i've moaned & groaned one to many times...:frown:
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    Wow! Its like you are in my head. I have a very similar story. Lost 24lbs and went on vacation end of July and just CANNOT seem to get back into the swing(have put back on a couple of lbs). I know I feel better when I exercise and eat better but I just cannot seem to get motivated. I still would like to lose another 10lbs but its like I've lost my drive. :( Sucks!
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I hit this plateau all the time. My motivation wains and I stop doing the things I know I should and start going the easier way. I've found my biggest pick me up is to find someone to work with me. I just need that added accountability. I can't do it on my own... well I could but I know I wont.
  • BRANDI384
    Options
    I CAN RELATE IN THE PAST 1 - 1/2 YEARS I HAVE LOST A TOTAL OF 107 LBS AND MY MOTIVATION HAS GONE ASTRAY. I AM TRYING FITNESS PAL TO SEE IF I CAN GET BACK ON TRACK. HAVE GAINED A FEW POUNDS AND NEED TO GET THEM OFF. TODAY IS A NEW DAY AND I HAVE WALKED 13 MINUTES THIS AM. JUST HAVE TO MAKE SURE I LOG ALL MY FOOD THAT GOES IN MY MOUTH...
    :flowerforyou:
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I went threw this a friend of mine made a smart comment, " Guess you did'nt want it bad enough." that ticked me off :mad: .
    Now when Im working out I some times think about her smart comment and it helps me to go the extra mile. I will show her ...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Let's face it, losing weight is a LONG process and having to do what it takes can wear you down. You need some you time here and need to sit down and reassess why you are doing this. You HAVE to really want to do it for the right reasons and not to just hit a number or please anyone else. If you feel miserable, it may be because your approach is too difficult. I've had to have clients sit with me and I've changed their 1lb a week to 1/2lb a week goal because it was much more attainable and that's all it took. For some it was nixing one exercise day a week. I don't have the answer, but you do. You just need to figure it out.
  • MissMouse85
    MissMouse85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ok, to the people saying something along the lines of "You don't want it enough" I have two things to say to you: 1) RUDE. You have no right to presume how much I do or do not want something. 2) WRONG. I wouldn't be here asking for help if I didn't want to lose the weight and keep it off.

So please, offer some constructive suggestions (like maybe something that has worked to help you get out of a rut?) or don't post anything at all.

Thanks kiddos!
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi , i have just come back after 3 months off from this site, i origonally lost 35lbs and was doing really well then i lost my motivation and it wast because i did not want it enough boy do i want to be healthy and thin, but i had outside factors playing into this and depression hit me hard, though i have put on 7lbs im back and am begining to try and get back into the routine, i think my motivation was upped by the fact that i felt really good after i had lost those 35lbs, i got back intouch with how that felt and wanted to feel it again also i like being able to choose what i wear and not pull it off because it looks bad on me. i hope this made sense and i wish you all the best with your journey
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm in that slump right now (and have been at times in the past) and I find the only thing that motivates me is weight loss. But I can't lose any weight if I'm not motivated to work out and eat right! It's a catch 22!
  • billak
    billak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are feeling. I think most people have been there sometime or another about one thing or the other. But we are what we think, we see things as "we" are and what we think becomes our reality. So we have to change our mind set from I'm not motivated to I'm getting motivated to AM motivated. Making smaller goals can jump start us. Perhaps exercise 5 minutes today, tomorrow exercise 5 minutes 2 times a day and so forth. Stop smoking for today only, then add tomorrow and so forth. Accomplishing smaller goals will do a lot for your attitude and will give you the confidence to do more. Many times you may have to enlist the help of others to get you motivated and to keep you accountable. Don't be too hard on yourself if you fail at something but don't be easy on yourself either. If you fall down 7 times get up 8! Hope this helps you.:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ok, to the people saying something along the lines of "You don't want it enough" I have two things to say to you: 1) RUDE. You have no right to presume how much I do or do not want something. 2) WRONG. I wouldn't be here asking for help if I didn't want to lose the weight and keep it off.

So please, offer some constructive suggestions (like maybe something that has worked to help you get out of a rut?) or don't post anything at all.

Thanks kiddos!
    I did offer constructive criticism. As a professional in the business, I am more than sure I've dealt with what you feel much more than you've dealt with it yourself. When I say "don't want it enough" it means you have some other priorities in your life that are more important than this. It sits on that back end of your list because if it was number 1, then you will do what it takes to achieve it.
    Almost everyone here wants to lose weight. That's why they're here. But don't confuse want with action. There are people who "wished" they could play an instrument, but in reality if they really meant it they would take up lessons.
    Sometimes people don't want to hear some blunt truth, but sometimes that's what it takes. I don't think I was rude, but you seem to think it. Step back a minute. Really read into it and think about it.
  • Murdog
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. Your other-half...is he in Boot Camp? Is he prior service? I guess what I'm trying to say is, that if you can channel in on what he's trying to accomplish right now, and try to put yourself in that same mindset, maybe that is where you can find your motivation. When I went through Marine Corps boot camp, I didn't really think about it, I just did it. There really wasn't much time to think about TRYING to make it, I just kept my head down and kept charging. Of course there were MANY challenges--tough ones obviously. But, there has got to be the end goal. I am in the same boat with you, though.

Just keep your "hands up and your chin down", ok? Best of luck to you and yours.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I go through this at times myself!! The only advise I can give you is mark it on the calendar that your going to start a exercise program ,whatever it may be, even if its a 10 min workout and JUST DO IT! Maybe that will help get your motivation back!

My favorite quote right now ..... STOP THINKING! JUST DO IT!
  • taliaparaha
    taliaparaha Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I totally understand !!!! Sometimes I can be so motivated and then I just have none whatsoever !!! Why??! I have no clue I'll have to read the rest of the posts to see if anyone has answerd that question! Just letting you know you are not alone!!
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same situation, I didn't lose as much weight as you (13lbs) but I felt great and was working out and cooking from scratch all fresh food. I was enjoying it and feeling so good but I've fallen off the band waggon and can't seem to kick myself into gear again. I've put on 5lbs in the process so now I've only lost 8lbs and I'm just feeling really disappointed with myself.

I'm curious to know others advice on this but I'm sorry that I can't give any as I feel exactly the same! Good luck at getting back on track and well done for keeping the weight off x
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're just feeling tired and lazy. I get overwhelmed easily and need a break to look forward to, which is why I exercise four weeks and then give myself a week off. It's easy to get exhausted. Try saying "I'll exercise for the next three weeks, then take a week off." "I'll eat healthy for the next two weeks, then take a couple of days off.