How can i start shedding off my weight while breastfeeding feeding?

Options
Hi there, am 31 years old weighing 107kgs.. i have a 7 months baby and my weight seems to be increasing day by day.. is it ok if i did intermittent fasting to help with weight loss. Thank you.

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I am no resource on IF - but would suggest a good first step would be to start logging what you are eating/drinking now, assessing your weight gain trend and then using the data to determine a maintenance level. Eat there for 4-6 weeks, keep an eye on your milk supply and then drop calories slightly to start a deficit.

Track your calories in for 2 weeks, figure out an average daily intake.

Take your average weight gain per month for the past 2-3 months and multiply that by 3500 as it takes a surplus of 3500 calories to add 1 pound. Divide by 30, for # of days in a month. Reduce your average daily intake by this amount for 4-6 weeks. Pay attention to your supply. Stay well hydrated/drink lots of water as that will help with supply. If all is well after 4-6 weeks, drop your calorie intake by another 250-500 calories. At this point you should see a loss of 2-4 pounds per month.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    Ellienz1 wrote: »
    I found fast healthy weight loss on the starch soloution diet. 5o% plate veges 50% plate starches. Easy filling and yum

I would argue that fast does not equal healthy, unless you have a weight related health condition that poses more risks to your health than losing weight quickly.

And that diet you're proposing in and of itself doesn't sound very healthy: very one-sided, protein and (healthy) fats are necessary for good health!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Ellienz1 wrote: »
    I found fast healthy weight loss on the starch soloution diet. 5o% plate veges 50% plate starches. Easy filling and yum

OP, please don't listen to this advice. This poster has several posts where she says she has an eating disorder. This isn't a good plan. Just track your calories and lose the weight slowly.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I would say, focus on feeding your baby and then worry about weight loss more after weaning. As I recall (my youngest is 21!), you can mess up your milk supply by drastic changes. Your little one just needs you the way you are right now. I assume you'll be weaning in the next 6 months or so, so maybe just cherish the time providing the best nutrition for them. Of course, stop the extra snacking and no finishing the baby's finger foods they don't eat!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm in LiveOnceBeHappy- You are doing a very good job by your little one nursing to 6 months. Milk supply can all to easily be upset.

I'm sure you could also log what you are consuming, your regular portions so you know how your diet is shaping up, you could pick up if your protein and fat levels are reasonable and take them to good. (I've not see a calorie count for a little one's needs, they vary so much). Both protein and beneficial fats in the right quantities are more likely to make you last from one meal to the next. Remember your little one will be taking the best of what you are consuming leaving you the other stuff, so to speak.

I'm expecting you are giving or will be giving little one some mixed foods, so it is true they are not as dependant as they once were but even those going to bed cuddles are very important, (I know bedtime bottles can be just as reassuring to a little one for whom the bottle is what is. Not intended to read negatively, there are too many reasons to need to use bottles) Its the love, the closeness they need to experience.

And Yes, these are precious times. The problem is when you can remember them you have the time. When they are little they keep you on your toes, time is so precious.

Wishing you all the very best, the bond you achieve now will stand you in good stead for whatever life throws at you.

• PravaSagitta
    PravaSagitta Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Find your tdee, eat to maintenance. Breastfeeding cuts about 500 calories per day, so you would actually be in a deficit. You should slowly lose weight. Try to eat whole foods. Protein keeps you full. I just started strength training, eating about 180 g of protein per day. I'm eating to maintenance (or more if I'm still hungry, but I only eat enough until I'm no longer hungry, but i breastfeed my baby, toddler, and pump for another baby).

If you have fb, look up milky fitness, they're a good resource. They can also make a meal plan, but it cost money.