Popcorn!

MsCzar
MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
I love it, but could use some new ideas. I am wearying of salty/spicy/parmigiana and especially interested in adding some sweet options without adding major calories. Maybe something with peanut butter powder? Marshmallow? Artificial sweeteners? Does anybody have a lower calorie caramel recipe?

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I'd have a go just adding cinnamon, bet that would be good.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    It’s not a sweet option but, lemon zest, rosemary and black pepper is delicious.

My kids found some Twix powder for popcorn and Cinnamon Toast Crunch powder, they love them both. Not sure the calories though.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    If you use a little spray on “I can’t believe it’s not butter”, spices/seasonings stick better to the kernels. The sky’s is the limit for tastes, sweet or savory. As far as caramel goes, try one of the sugar substitute’s websites for a lower calorie recipe.
  • rhaiin
    rhaiin Posts: 35 Member
    I like to eat my popcorn with a handful of semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips mixed in after it cools for a moment.

My current savory go to is soy sauce on popcorn. Its sounds a bit weird, but its delicious.
  • MsCzar
    Lots of good ideas! Thanks! I will have to try the soy sauce. I cook my steel cut Irish Oatmeal in chicken or bone broth with a dash of soy sauce and chill before adding to salads.

I tried cinnamon and artificial sweetener, but it was too bland and didn't quite satisfy - so I ended up over-salting it. Maybe I'll try chili and cinnamon next time.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    We recently went full bougie and made it with duck fat and truffle salt LOL
  • patriotjefferson
    patriotjefferson Posts: 2 Member
    I ❤️ 🍿 popcorn too!
    “Churro” cinnamon & stevia instead of sugar
    “Apple pie” apple pie spice with stevia
    “Pumpkin Pie” Pumpkin spice with stevia
    You can make these in an air popper, drizzle with olive oil sprinkle your flavors of choice & toss in a stainless steel bowl to coat throughly.

“Sweet Lemon or Lime” , mix stevia with lemon or lime juice & drizzle on popcorn.

“PICKLE!” Pickles are low in calories. You can put the leftover pickle juice to good use flavoring popcorn. You can buy an olive oil pump spray & fill with “strained” pickle juice. The herbs in the pickle juice will clog the sprayer, so be sure to strain.
    Try spraying sweet lemon juice on the popcorn & then sprinkle apple spice seasoning. That should make a tangy apple pie popcorn
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I ❤️ 🍿 popcorn too!
    “Churro” cinnamon & stevia instead of sugar
    “Apple pie” apple pie spice with stevia
    “Pumpkin Pie” Pumpkin spice with stevia
    You can make these in an air popper, drizzle with olive oil sprinkle your flavors of choice & toss in a stainless steel bowl to coat throughly.

“Sweet Lemon or Lime” , mix stevia with lemon or lime juice & drizzle on popcorn.

“PICKLE!” Pickles are low in calories. You can put the leftover pickle juice to good use flavoring popcorn. You can buy an olive oil pump spray & fill with “strained” pickle juice. The herbs in the pickle juice will clog the sprayer, so be sure to strain.
    Try spraying sweet lemon juice on the popcorn & then sprinkle apple spice seasoning. That should make a tangy apple pie popcorn

OMG, gamechanger. I love pickles, and anything pickle...
  • forestdweller46
    forestdweller46 Posts: 28 Member
    I love my air popper !! Spritz the popped corn with your choice of "butter flavored spray" to make the flavoring stick, then sprinkle with Honey BBQ Popcorn Sasoning....or my favorite, Habanero Flavored Sugar.
    MySpiceSage...free shipping, and a free sample of your choice with every order, no matter how small.
    Za'atar is cool if you want something from WAY across the Pond.
    Going to make some corn right now....
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I recently bought a jar of Kinder's Buffalo with blue cheese seasoning. I got it at Sam's Club but I'm sure you could find it elsewhere. I bought it to make a dip but it's seriously yummy on popcorn and 0 calories per 1/2 teaspoon. I'm sure there are a lot of spice blends out there that would be really good on popcorn, too, and most of them are calorie free.
  • MsCzar
    Thanks! I will check out Sam's!
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    I like soy sauce or Tamari with nutritional yeast.
  • Trkfood
    Trkfood Posts: 1 Member
    I saw a recipe for strawberry popcorn using powdered dehydrated strawberries. That had white chocolate drizzle, but I think maybe a brief spritz of oil or popcorn butter spray would help it stick instead.

Taking from the other ideas, maybe you could add cocoa powder and stevia? Then you could have strawberry chocolate. Might be worth a try.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    I love this thread!
    I really like siracha & nutritional yeast on my popcorn, but I’m definitely going to try the PICKLE, soy sauce, and Lemon+Rosemary+Pepper!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    I like soy and tabasco, also fish sauce with garlic powder, also ranch dressing mix (the powder).
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    I had a friend make it taste like nacho cheese Doritos. They found some recipe for it. Very good!
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    TheOldBallCoach43420 Posts: 119 Member
    I had a friend make it taste like nacho cheese Doritos. They found some recipe for it. Very good!

Must share this recipe!!!
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,548 Member
    I air pop mine and it always needs some extra flavor. My favorite way to get a sweet & salty popcorn without adding calories is to use the Jordan's Skinny Syrups Salted Caramel. I'll put a bit in a spray bottle with water so it isn't too strong and spritz over my popcorn. Then I'll douse that in the butter flavored popcorn salt.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    I'm not generally a fan of sweet things. I usually like popcorn with traditional flavors like butter and salt. I'm a sucker for nutritional yeast on popcorn for sure.

A few years ago, a friend encouraged me to sprinkle a tiny (very tiny) bit of sugar on it. I looked sideways at him because... ew, ik. But I tried it. Maybe you can too! I haven't done it in a while; maybe I should.

I've done balsamic; that's good too.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Lately I've been putting a chili lime seasoning on mine. It is so tasty!