Help me decide what to add to my home gym.

Options
I have room for one more piece of equipment and my husband said to pick out what I want for my anniversary.

I have a BowFlex, a treadmill and an exercise (recumbent) bike. I use them daily as well as I do yoga or Tia chi in the morning.

I’m not looking for free weights as my husband has vetoed them.

I’m thinking either an elliptical or a rowing machine. I’m just looking for overall fitness.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I know people who rave about the Concept2 rower.

Do you have a way to pullups? If not, you could chance a door-frame one, or find a way to attach a bar to the wall (I think I saw garagegymreviews talking about these).

Or, how about a quality of life improvement? TV, speakers, etc.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know people who rave about the Concept2 rower.

Do you have a way to pullups? If not, you could chance a door-frame one, or find a way to attach a bar to the wall (I think I saw garagegymreviews talking about these).

Or, how about a quality of life improvement? TV, speakers, etc.

Thank you for the suggestion! I think that Concept2 rower looks awesome. 👍
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I think this is the model people recommend.

https://www.garagegymreviews.com/concept-2-model-d-rower-review
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    T
    I think this is the model people recommend.

https://www.garagegymreviews.com/concept-2-model-d-rower-review
    Thank you so much. That is super helpful!
  • Lynxes602
    Lynxes602 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lucky! I've been dreaming of what I would have in my personal gym when I do have more room for one.
    I highly recommend a cable machine. They are very versatile!
  • Letsdothis749
    Letsdothis749 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i agree, a rower
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,134 Member
    Options
    If you get a rower, invest in learning good technique by going slowly, and checking form at first. A rower can be a great, great workout, but the technique is not intuitive. Sub-par technique will limit ability to increase workout intensity. A hint: That adjustment with numbers on the side of the flywheel is not resistance, and dialing it up to 10 is not how to get a better workout.

I'm a big fan of rowing, and a big fan of Concept 2 for indoor rowing (in non-boatable seasons). I've had mine since around 2005 or 2006. A little chain oil now and then, and it's perfect, with millions of meters rowed.

Rowing is a little more technique-sensitive than many other cardio machine type exercises. Good stuff, though.
  • MLCTX
    MLCTX Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My vote goes to a stairmaster / climbmill. If not, the runner up would be a rowing machine!!!

Yay for spousal support on the home gym!! ⭐️🤗⭐️
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Skierg is also worth looking into and the Rogue Echo bike.