The man shake is it worth it?

Options
As the description of the topic shows. Is it worth it? Does it actually work? (Like all weightloss shakes claim).

Whats the difference between that and the other ones in the market?

Any real results on these around? For the Average Joe or Samuel Johnson Smith?

Replies

• Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've never had it, but from looking at their web site, it doesn't seem any different from other weight loss shakes. If you've looked into how those weight loss shakes work, you basically replace two whole meals with one of those shakes. The Man Shake appears to be no different, other than offering "macho" branding so you don't feel bad about drinking something with a name like "Weight Watchers" or "SlimFast".

The website gives a bit more insight to how it really works - a calorie deficit. They basically tell you to cut out some meals, drink the shake instead, eat a small snack between meals, and then make a high protein, low carb 400 calorie dinner. So they have you consuming about 1500 calories a day.

http://www.themanshake.com.au/assets/images/Meal Plan WEB.jpg

Now what I have done is a program called medifast. It was basically the same idea, a meal replacement. Instead of eating breakfast or lunch, Id eat one of their 100 calorie shakes/bars/etc. 5 times a day and then a tiny 500 calorie home cooked dinner made up of a protein and veggies. I did that for several months before I realized it was bull, and I could just do all that on my own without an expensive meal replacement program.

Long story short, dont fall for meal replacements. They dont help you. You'll lose weight at first, but once you stop and go back to eating the food youre used to, youll just gain all the weight back. Best course of action is to change up your eating habits. Eat more veggies and fruits, throw in some proteins, some fat and a few carbs. But most importantly, weight everything, watch how many calories you eat and keep yourself in a sustainable calorie deficit - too low, and youll be hungry all the time and probably quit.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what's wrong with food?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss shakes are designed to help you manage calorie intake.....period. Meal replacement shakes are just trying to make weight loss easier, while the creators make money.

But, if you can take the time to measure and log real food you don't need shakes. Measuring an logging real food is an eye-opening experience. Seeing calorie counts and nutritional information for food you actually like teaches you so much (you need to know for maintenance).
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I did Shaklee 180. I replaced two meals with either a shake or bar, ate two Shaklee 180 snacks, and ate a 300 calorie dinner. Did I lose weight? Sure. I also experienced IBS, intense hunger, and cravings to binge eat. Look, shakes are a great way to get in protein and calories when you're in a hurry, but expensive liquid diets that claim the powders contain supplements will "speed up your metabolism" or make you "lose fat, not muscle" are not sustainable. You can't feel total satiation drinking an 18oz beverage for a meal.
  • Sayanogo
    Sayanogo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Does a long term liquid diet sound good? Will Man Shakes be able to fit in your budget for the long term?

If so, then it seems like a good choice to me. Like @Colorfan said, they don't seem different from other weight loss shakes. They're just low calorie liquid meal replacements, like every other shake on the market.

If you don't think you'll enjoy a mostly liquid diet in the long term, why bother? It's more sustainable to find a way of eating that will keep you in a caloric deficit.

And if you can't afford the shakes long term, make shakes at home for a fraction of the price. Buy yourself something nice with what's leftover.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for weight loss is being in a caloric deficit. If you choose to achieve that caloric deficit using shakes, then yes, you will lose weight. However, you likely will not learn portion control or other skills that you'll need to sustain your weight loss over the long term if you rely too much on shakes for your calories. Remember that after you lose weight, you are not going to be able to go back to the way you used to eat. If you do that, you'll just gain the weight right back. You have to make a permanent change to your lifestyle if you want to keep the weight off. Most people will not want to spend the rest of their lives drinking shakes instead of eating food.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Because Slimfast is just too much for fragile masculinity? Honestly, marketing execs treat us all like we're idiots.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It's no different than any other shake...it's just macho marketing.

All weightloss shakes do is help you control calories.

A big con for me would be that I get satisfaction from eating and chewing, so a shake would be pretty anti-climatic for me.

Another issue people have is that they ultimately don't learn how to eat properly to control their calories going into maintenance because they've been heavily reliant on low calorie shakes. For me, learning to eat, portion control, etc was a big part of the overall process.
  • kmcfarlen
    kmcfarlen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes. Hubby loves it. First week down over 2 kilos. Enjoys two shakes two snacks, delicious dinner and once a week treat meal
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Shakes are just food. They can't do anything special to cause weight loss.

That said, some people find calorie restriction easier with shakes, and some shakes are more filling than others.

I personally had a Vega One shake with plain yogurt every workday morning for years because it was the only meal that could keep me full for a solid 6 hours. I had no option to snack at work.

The concept of marketing a shake as specific to men though is ridiculous to the point of absurd.

Look at the ingredients, compare it to other high quality meal replacement shakes like Vega One, and then make an informed decision as to what product you want to buy.

But at the end of the day, it's still just food and it comes down to whether you prefer processes powdered food or more whole foods.

For me, the utility of the shakes was 100% the convenience. I worked 10-14hr days and didn't have time to make breakfast. Now that I'm retired, I never use them.

So figure out what/if the utility is of ultra-processed powdered shakes in your health routine.

Lastly, there's a very, very, VERY good reason why so many health/weight-loss companies market powdered shakes as part of their programs, and it has NOTHING to do with them having any special properties for health or weight loss.

It's because they're shelf-stable, light, and easy to ship. This all makes it a cost-effective product.

Powders aren't sold because they're better than less processed food, they're sold because they're convenient to sell.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    All shakes and diets work if one adhere's to them. But IF you're not going to do it for life, I wouldn't even bother trying them in the first place.
    If you had a car with much needed body work and used a spray paint to "fix" it, you know it's only going to be temporary. Eventually if you need to have it great, it will need body work, primer, paint and clear coat. A more time consuming and longer method.
    Losing weight the right way also is the same. More time and putting in effort to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png