getting back into exercise?

Options
up until last week, i was working out about 4 times per week and it was a normal part of my routine. i got really sick last week, and now i haven't worked out for 10 days. and i have ZERO motivation to start back up again, especially as i'm finding it pretty easy to stay under my calories.

any words of advice for getting back into my routine??

thanks!!

Replies

• PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've been there many times. The longer you leave it the more daunting it seems. Just start back slowly, after a few sessions you'll get your MoJo back.

Slán
    Phil
  • stacym124
    Options
    Exercise is esential - not only to shed lbs. but to keep 'em off. Get back into things slowly.. take walks instead of going for runs, slow sit-ups instead of vigorous crunches, etc. No need to break a sweat - just enough to ease your body into things! I hope this helps!! Keep your head up and stay healthy!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Just make yourself do it. Once you start, it will be easy to continue--starting is the hardest part.
  • SammiFrancs
    SammiFrancs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    this motto always helps me for some reason: "You never regret going to the gym, but you ALWAYS regret not going". Its very true- after a workout, I'm very satisfied. But if I don't go, I'm always think "I could have definitely fit in a workout, why did I drive by the gym?"

It also helps that my gym is on my way home- so I can just pull in the parking lot and make myself go. Once I'm in the parking lot I'm pretty damn commited haha
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    first, I disagree with the statement that exercise is essential for losing weight and keeping it off. Losing weight is dictated much more by what you eat and drink, then by exercise. As far as weight loss, one of the primary benefits of exercise is to help create a caloric deficit...but if you are already doing that, then exercise is not essential for weight loss. I lost plenty of weight at the beginning of my journey without any exercise.

saying this, there are some important benefits of exercise that are outside simple weight loss. exercise helps keep us healthier...and it will help you tighten up loose skin as you lose weight, in addition to building sleek muscle tone (something you may or may not desire).

in addition, and this is where I may help you in terms of motivation....think about how you felt when you exercised. For me, exercise gives me energy and makes me feel good. I feel like I've accomplished something...like I'm meeting my own challenge. I don't know how to put it into words, but I simply feel better when I exercise (could have to do with the activation of endorphins, which is typical of exercise). Anyway, think about how you felt when you exercised. Did exercise make you feel better in any way...and I'm not just talking about the actual exercise period, but afterwards. Assuming you had some positive experience with exercise, try to rekindle those thoughts and memories. Are those the types of positive feelings you want to re-live or are you ok without them (or are you feeling the same without exercise)?
  • missxlaur
    Options
    this motto always helps me for some reason: "You never regret going to the gym, but you ALWAYS regret not going".

i like that. so true! i definitely need to keep that in mind when i get up to workout before work in the am
  • missxlaur
    Options
    first, I disagree with the statement that exercise is essential for losing weight and keeping it off. Losing weight is dictated much more by what you eat and drink, then by exercise. As far as weight loss, one of the primary benefits of exercise is to help create a caloric deficit...but if you are already doing that, then exercise is not essential for weight loss. I lost plenty of weight at the beginning of my journey without any exercise.

saying this, there are some important benefits of exercise that are outside simple weight loss. exercise helps keep us healthier...and it will help you tighten up loose skin as you lose weight, in addition to building sleek muscle tone (something you may or may not desire).

in addition, and this is where I may help you in terms of motivation....think about how you felt when you exercised. For me, exercise gives me energy and makes me feel good. I feel like I've accomplished something...like I'm meeting my own challenge. I don't know how to put it into words, but I simply feel better when I exercise (could have to do with the activation of endorphins, which is typical of exercise). Anyway, think about how you felt when you exercised. Did exercise make you feel better in any way...and I'm not just talking about the actual exercise period, but afterwards. Assuming you had some positive experience with exercise, try to rekindle those thoughts and memories. Are those the types of positive feelings you want to re-live or are you ok without them (or are you feeling the same without exercise)?

i absolutely agree with everything you said. my problem is, i can now run 30 min straight (5k) which i LOVE doing. i told myself that since i love running the 5k, i was going to train for a 10k, and then eventually a half marathon. as my training increases, i'm starting to like it less (which is making me want to do it less). i'll feel like a failure if i decide i don't want to run the 10k, and i'll feel like i'm just giving up. but i'm really not enjoying it, so i'm not doing it, and thus failing anyway! i'm just torn with what to do. is it ok if 5k is my maximum length of a run? or if i run more on days i feel good and less on days i feel bad? i just need some advice here because it's sort of tearing me up inside.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    10K or nothing? No - cut yourself some slack. Some exercise is ALWAYS better than no exercise. You are making lifestyle changes here. Do the exercise that you want to do - this is what you will be consistant at. Who knows - maybe a month from now you may want to train for the 10K again.
  • missxlaur
    Options
    thank you everyone for your responses. i just wrote about this on my blog :)

Running – All or Nothing? | west coast girl, east coast life http://bit.ly/ovsvlH