Fat caliper vs measuring tape question

Options
FitnessFreak1821
FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
edited July 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
I took a fat caliper measurement and measuring tape this morning after using bathroom and nothing to eat. Fat caliper measurements went down from last time but measuring tape is still saying same measurements. Am I doing something wrong ? Is that even possible?

Thanks

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I don't trust myself to be 100% consistent w/ the tape measure. Do you have a pair of jeans that you can't close? Or that you can barely zip/button? I prefer this sort of thing to 'measure' because by using one item of clothing I know it is not changing. With a tape measure I can't help but wonder if I have it in EXACTLY the same place, or if I'm pulling it tighter or not as tight as I did before. (Have not used calipers but think it can be similar, in that you may be pinching a slightly different spot.)

For me, that pair of jeans at beginning of June: I could not zip/button. On Saturday I was able to zip/button by lying on my bed and sucking it all in - but then promptly took them off because not comfortable to wear like that. But I can be certain of the difference. Will try them again in a month or two. Maybe then I can zip them while standing upright.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I cannot do the tape measure correctly. I have no idea of calipers. There's just no way I have a 30" waist, but that's what I get by measuring. I wear a size 2 or size 4 spending on the pants. I weigh 117 lbs at 5' 2.5". I like nanastaci2020 idea of the pants. Seems more consistent.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes I am noticing clothing is fitting better! I'm always guessing as well if I'm at the same spot for the caliper and tape measure. Good points...I'll just go by clothing. Seems easier