Can I swap carbs for fats in my diet?

Options
I’m currently trying to gain weight (lean mass) and of course I’m on a caloric surplus. But it’s kinda difficult to eat that many carbs, so that’s why I’m thinking about eat less carbs and more fats but stay in the same caloric surplus. Can I do that or is not very reliable ? Thanks !

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sure. Fats are more calorie dense, so it is easier to get higher calories with less food volume.
  • Decoy152
    Decoy152 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am on a similar trajectory. Trying to gain lean mass. I tried upping carbs recently but went back to fat a few weeks ago for the calorie density and the convenience of it being built in to many of my protein sources.
  • Lynxes602
    Lynxes602 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    High fat low carb is a keto diet if you want to look that up. I don't do keto but I have to watch my carb intake so I tend to seek healthy fats. I would suggest a healthy balance because keto can lead to ketosis. Good luck!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I have done this because I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I've actually found it harder to maintain my weight this way.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Lynxes602 wrote: »
    High fat low carb is a keto diet if you want to look that up. I don't do keto but I have to watch my carb intake so I tend to seek healthy fats. I would suggest a healthy balance because keto can lead to ketosis. Good luck!

What's wrong with ketosis?
  • drtradecraft
    drtradecraft Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is a condition you can put your body in through low carb, higher fat nutritional consumption that causes weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Lynxes602 wrote: »

What's wrong with ketosis?
    It's not likely much muscle gain on keto approach. Certain signal pathways have to be activated like mTOR which doesn't happen on a keto diet.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1288474/ketogenic-diets-dont-build-muscle/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    Options
    Insulin signaling stimulates both mTOR and IGF-1 (growth Hormone) and you don't need a lot of carbs for that and calories would probably be the more important factor.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    carbs = energy
    fats = hormone/mood
    protein = muscle build/retention

not hard
  • neanderthin
    edited October 2022
    Options
    azuki84 wrote: »
    carbs = energy
    fats = hormone/mood

not hard
    carbs = energy
    fats = hormone/mood

not hard

This is pretty simplistic and a little misleading and as an example it should become apparent during more nutritional investigating, that fat is also an energy source. Cheers
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    carbs = energy
    fats = hormone/mood

not hard
    carbs = energy
    fats = hormone/mood

not hard

This is pretty simplistic and a little misleading and as an example it should become apparent during more nutritional investigating, that fat is also an energy source. Cheers

"keep it simple, stupid" is a popular saying
  • neanderthin
    Options
    carbs = energy
    fats = hormone/mood

not hard
    carbs = energy
    fats = hormone/mood

not hard

"keep it simple, stupid" is a popular saying

Instead of seeing if there's any validity to that statement you doubled down, well done and par for the course. cheers.
  • Limski1
    Limski1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What are your current percentages of protein, carbs and fat?