Motivation?!

Options
Okay so it's been a little over a week since i've been on here and I'm trying to get motivated again... I started just a few weeks ago, but fell off the wagon already :-( It was my 30th birthday and there were parties galore, outings with friends, etc. VERY difficult for me to stay on track.... ANybody out there have any suggestions for STAYING on track and STAYING motivated!?

Replies

• Dandersonjr32
    Options
    Make friends, use this site.

What works for me is setting goals; short, medium, and long term goals.

My short term, or daily goal is to stay under my BMR and work out for at least 300 calories

My medium term, or weekly goal is to work out 5 times this week and have only one cheat meal.

My long term, or twelve week goal is to lose 22 pounds.

This way you always have something to strive for.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options

My short term, or daily goal is to stay under my BMR and work out for at least 300 calories

My medium term, or weekly goal is to work out 5 times this week and have only one cheat meal.

Love your Goal Setting. :-)
  • DaddyDeegan
    Options
    You've come to the right place for motivation and support! Anytime I am feeling down or having a hard time getting motivated I come here and read the "success stories" posts
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Pictures pictures pictures!!!!! and measure.. screw the scale. Get a tape measure and measure weekly.

Watch your salt intake and move it!!!!
    I was feeling discouraged until I looked at my pic a month ago and I was like WOW!!!
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Shanay,

When I first started on my path to a healthier lifestyle i to struggled and fell off the wagon. What I did is I kept coming back! I chalked it up as a blip and didn't look back. Eventually I truly committed to myself and made me the most important thing in my life! Once I committed to myself the road became much clearer and easier to follow!

Staying connected to people doing the same thing you are is very important as well. I am part of a few online workout groups and we help each other stay accountable and motivated by utilizing the daily checkin! It not only builds accountability it builds new relationships!

Lastly believe in yourself! The road is not always easy but you must believe that you can do it! You may stumble from time to time but get back up and come back with a fire to do better next time!

I wish you all the best and if you every need any help just reach out! I am always here!!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You have to want to do it. If you don't want it, it won't happen.

Try to make a few friends on the site and maybe compete against them. I try to compete with calories burned. I try to burn more calories than my friends.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • KTDawe
    Options
    If you have a "Bad day" just have it and get it over with, whats done is done, its the past just plan your meals ahead and if you want to eat more you should get out there and do some exercise, be that walking, running, swimming or just about anything. By the time you finish your exercise you may not even feel hungry anymore!
    As for motivation i put a picture of the body i want to achieve in places i will see them slot and a picture of me at my heaviest on items of food my family eat that i shouldn't really eat.
    Make sure you have a supporting network and see if you can get an exercising buddy, getting results is easier when you have someone to share your corncern and your happiness with when you succeed your goals.
    Set short medium and long term goals.
    Short ... walk 3 times a week for an hour
    Medium.... get into my favourite dress in time for an event in a few months
    Long.... Get to the perfect size you feel is right for you and then just keep working at maintaining it.
    If you need anymore tips please add me
    I am also a personal trainer so need any fitness advice please feel free to talk to me

Katie
  • CamiXiomara
    Options

That is what I am doing and it works out so great, because you have small stepping stones that will lead you to your most desired goal! Little by little, steady and sure, that's how you will get to your destination.

Stay positive. It took you years and months - basically a long time - to gain the weight. It'll take time to get it off. Stay strong! Add friends that will support you on your journey. Keep a journal. Test out the waters - when is it easier for you to exercise, morning or evenings? How much can you do at the beginning? Start with 20-30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. As you begin to feel comfortable, add more minutes. Do cardio - run, dance or just jump rope for a few minutes. Anything to get that heart beat up, where you know it will start burning calories. Plan the meals you will have. Count the calories. Have fun, stay positive and commit yourself to a healthier lifestyle. I know it sounds like much, but in the long run, you'll be grateful that you made the change.

I'm rooting for you!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options

I agree with this.
    I find the best way is to set short term measurable goals, but goals that you can control. (not a number on the scale.) I feel I cannot control the number on the scale to measure my success. I set goals like to work out 20 minutes a day four days a week for 30 days. Then I would increase that to 25 minutes or 5 days, or add weights into it.
    If you have a special occasion coming up, like a birthday, Plan for it. That way you don't feel like you are going hog wild and need to get in as much as you can, because you dont' know when you will again. Make extra time for work outs the day before, of and after event. Save calories, by being good on those days and then give yourself and allowance to go over by.

Set a reward too. If you reach those goals you can get a new workout outfit, or a new pair of shoes, or maybe take a bubble bath.

Best wishes and keep trying
    DON'T give up,
  • vslaub
    Options
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels":smile: Don't get discouraged when your not losing, keep going and be content that your not gaining. The pounds will come off eventually just be diligent and keep up the good work! It takes a long time! Be realistic and give yourself a 3, 6 month and one year goals.
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    Motivation has to come from with. You can't buy it at the Mall or get it from a drive thru, and there is no 1 hour service, despite what they tell you on TV. You have to get out bed and go the gym, get on the treadmill, play tennis, walk, in your neighborhood, ride a bike, swim to the moon and back or even wrestle with your husband , or whatever it is you do to get your burn.

You have to supply the motivation to make your health a priority.

My Birthday is coming up in 2 weeks, and my goal is to be down 100 pounds by then, I was at 85 a few weeks ago and I haven't weighed myself since. Hitting my goal is important, but its not the end all/ be all . My weights are going down each and every month, and If I don't hit the 100 pounds by the end of the Month maybe it will take a me a few more days, or even a week , but I'll get there. I'm sure I'll be out to dinner with friends and family , having a few drinks, having my cake and eating it too. That's OK your are supposed to celebrate your life. But I know that the next day I'll be back in the gym walking my 6 miles a day on the treadmill and doing what I'm supposed to be doing. The trick is to look at the bigger picture, not if you had cake and ice cream for 1 day or even 2.

Someone once said if you Take care of the days and the weeks will take care of themself.
  • Incunabulum
    Options
    Hello, shanay981,

You are the only person who can choose to stay on track and motivated, or give in to temptations and urges to stray back to old habits. To say you "fell off the wagon" is inaccurate. You "jumped off the wagon" is more accurate. It's ok, everyone does it. I've done it more times than I can remember, knowing I had a choice to make and choosing the road back to weight gain and unhealthy habits. Everyone has a unique learning curve and I'm not different. Just remember, right now you are in a position in life where you can still do something about your condition, as long as you choose to.

I am 40, and had I been as health-conscious as you when I was your age, I wouldn't be in my current predicament. Granted, I do not have a whole lot of weight to lose, but I could have made more health-conscious choices instead of the ones I did make. Nowadays I spend more days exercising than indulging myself. It isn't bad, just different. I exercise as much will power as I can to eat healthy foods and cook for myself rather than succumbing to fatty junk foods. I do my best to exercise a minimum of 4 times a week. This week I began alternating cardio and strength training days. I mention exercising because, living alone, with no one to be accountable to except myself, it's extremely easy to choose to do nothing.

I am fortunate in that sweets normally do not tempt me. Cake, candy, ice cream, soda, I can easily refrain from consuming any of these types of foods. Fast foods are what I battle against, and lately I have been better than they. Location may also be on my side. When I party with my friends, I have tons of fun and do allow myself to indulge, but because most of them live at least 1.5 hours away, I don't get to see them often enough to turn that part of my lifestyle into a habit. I mention habit because when it becomes part of your lifestyle it's even more difficult to let go of, but you can if your desire to let go of it overrides your desire to maintain it.

You can change your habit/lifestyle into one of moderation. It takes different amounts of time for different people. Some people can do it cold turkey. Others need to take baby steps. Still others are somewhere in the middle. You can still have fun when you go out with friends for whatever occasion, but just remember a few things. Exercise your will power and be mindful of your consumption. Think about what you are doing and make the choice that is best for you (not necessarily the same as the choice that feels best to you in that moment). You alone can do better or worse for yourself, by your power of choice. Don't blame others and don't blame the situation, because no one and no circumstance held a gun to your head to force you to jump off the wagon. When you take full accountability for the choices you make, you take back, regain, or earn the power that is rightfully yours, to choose what is best for yourself; and no one will be able to take that away from you. We're all walking that path, everyday, even the most fit and healthy. I wish you well on your journey. Take care.