Frustrated with belly

Options
I’ve been sticking religiously to my calories, going to the gym and doing strength training, walking minimum of 10k steps a day and drinking 2.5 - 4 litres of water a day. I’ve not lost weight but I’ve not gained it either but feel like I’ve gained belly fat. Any thoughts?

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking your calories and your exercise calories? Exercise calories are usually inflated, so most eat back only half. Tracking calories correctly is important. Weighing foods on a food scale and measuring liquids is the most accurate way. It sounds like you are eating at maintenance and need to cut a few calories.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to lower your calories. Or maybe you’re overestimating your calories from exercise.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    How many cals per day and for how long?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,301 Member
    Options
    I’ve not lost weight but I’ve not gained it either but feel like I’ve gained belly fat. Any thoughts?

There are feelings and there is reality. The two are not necessarily connected 😉
    Are you measuring yourself or using the tightness of (non stretchy) clothes to judge progress, on top of weighing yourself? Or taking progress pictures?

As for not losing weight: if it's been only a few weeks and the exercise is new, water retention from the exercise could be masking fat loss on the scale. (with more info about yourself and your settings on MFP we could perhaps give more specific advice)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    It would be unusual to gain fat without gaining weight.....

If you want targetted advice you need to tell people about yourself and give a timeline.

Had a look at your diary and with the caveat you haven't given any background data your daily calorie goal is unusually high for a female who describes themselves as having a very sedentary job and trying to lose weight.

Looks like you are eating to a Fitbit derived goal so maybe your Fitbit simply isn't very accurate for you and you simply need to eat less?
    Maybe disconnect it for a trial month and use a MFP derived goal instead?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It would help if you'd give your stats--height, age, current weight, goal weight etc... Perhaps your daily calorie goal is too high, or it may be right and there are other problems. With that, know that belly fat is usually the last to go (experience speaking). I would definitely take the advice to keep a weekly log of your measurements. You'll find that your eyes will deceive you--the tape measure, no. It's also nice to take it out when you hit a stall and you can SEE those inches lost. It'll take patience, but never give up and you'll goal.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,301 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

If you want targetted advice you need to tell people about yourself and give a timeline.

Had a look at your diary and with the caveat you haven't given any background data your daily calorie goal is unusually high for a female who describes themselves as having a very sedentary job and trying to lose weight.

Looks like you are eating to a Fitbit derived goal so maybe your Fitbit simply isn't very accurate for you and you simply need to eat less?

The calorie goal is a bit high sometimes perhaps, but not consistently, and overall the intake seems very reasonable, around 1575 calories per day (not knowing her stats, but she is walking 10k steps a day)

OP only started logging two weeks ago, so if that's when the weight loss attempt and exercise started, I'm in camp 'you need more time and water retention might be masking your fat loss on the scale'.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,525 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten different food and experience some bloating? Has your poop habit changed and you're a bit constipated? Finally, is it possible you're more aware of what you're doing and your posture has actually worsened? I find that I stand like a questionmark at times when trying to look cool. Which means the belly sticks out more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

The calorie goal is a bit high sometimes perhaps, but not consistently, and overall the intake seems very reasonable, around 1575 calories per day (not knowing her stats, but she is walking 10k steps a day)

OP only started logging two weeks ago, so if that's when the weight loss attempt and exercise started, I'm in camp 'you need more time and water retention might be masking your fat loss on the scale'.

Yeah, I am in the water-retention camp. Especially since it's hot out there, and she's female and it hasn't been that long.

1575 is where I was set PLUS exercise calories, and with 10,000 steps that was an additional 250-300 calories on top of the 1575. I lost most of my 80 pounds set at that, and I'm a retired sedentary (tiny condo dwelling) woman, height 5'7".
    I ate all the exercise cals. Still do.

I'd suggest checking and re-checking the food logging. Check that all your entries are correct. Use a food scale. Log all meals and snacks, even those you don't make yourself. Treat this like an experiment and use the best data you can possibly create. Those lunch items you're logging - the turkey bulgar burrito thing and the rice pudding? Those calories look to me like they are for one or two bites...are you sure you've got those correct?

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Agree two weeks is no time at all. I read some good advice here that after making significant changes to your regime to wait at least three weeks before changing it again!

Also agree about fitbit sabotaging progress. Although when I first connected my fitbit (and had more weight to lose) it seemed to all work and I ended up in a deficit, but as my weight reduced so did my progress. After disastrously trialling a 1200/day (and not lasting a week) to try and get things moving again, I disconnected my fitbit (advice from the good people here) and after a week to rebalance, weight loss started up again. Best of luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options

OP, if belly fat is first-on for you, it'll probably be last-off.

On top of that, if you've lost any weight at all before this point (recently), a partly-depleted area of abdominal fat can be more droopy/squishy, so look more prominent.

Posture issues, even if not new, can make that belly fat more prominent (the common issues are anterior pelvic tilt, which is carrying the top edge of the pelvic bones in front of the lower edge, so the booty sticks out but any central fat also pooches out more; and the head-forward, rounded shoulders posture many of us get these days from spending time on computers/phones, a.k.a. "nerd neck").

Yeah, I am in the water-retention camp. Especially since it's hot out there, and she's female and it hasn't been that long.

1575 is where I was set PLUS exercise calories, and with 10,000 steps that was an additional 250-300 calories on top of the 1575. I lost most of my 80 pounds set at that, and I'm a retired sedentary (tiny condo dwelling) woman, height 5'7".
    I ate all the exercise cals. Still do.

I'd suggest checking and re-checking the food logging. Check that all your entries are correct. Use a food scale. Log all meals and snacks, even those you don't make yourself. Treat this like an experiment and use the best data you can possibly create. Those lunch items you're logging - the turkey bulgar burrito thing and the rice pudding? Those calories look to me like they are for one or two bites...are you sure you've got those correct?

Dittoes. Even at age 59-60, 5'5", I lost fine on 1400-1600 plus (carefully estimated) exercise calories, when I started on MFP in the mid-150s pounds. I'm sedentary, or very close, outside of exercise - almost never 10,000 steps, unless I take an intentional walk.

I share Riverside's feeling that your logging could be tighter, maybe give you more insight.

Jacq_qui wrote: »
    Agree two weeks is no time at all. I read some good advice here that after making significant changes to your regime to wait at least three weeks before changing it again!

Also agree about fitbit sabotaging progress. Although when I first connected my fitbit (and had more weight to lose) it seemed to all work and I ended up in a deficit, but as my weight reduced so did my progress. After disastrously trialling a 1200/day (and not lasting a week) to try and get things moving again, I disconnected my fitbit (advice from the good people here) and after a week to rebalance, weight loss started up again. Best of luck.

For a woman of the relevant age/stage, it's important to go for at least one full menstrual cycle, so she can compare body weight at the same relative point in at least two different cycles. Hormonal water fluctuations can be very distorting of scale weight: It's rare, but some women report only seeing a new low weight once a month (when losing fat at a reasonable rate based on long-term observation).

For men or menopausal women, 4-6 weeks would be a good idea, IMO.

I'm sure you (Jacq_qui) realized and adjusted for this, but I think some people forget that their devices (like fitness trackers) typically also ask us for personal descriptive data when we first get them, like age, weight, height, etc. Those data need to be updated as we lose weight, too, though the mechanisms for doing that differ depending on brand/model. As we get lighter, our base calorie needs decrease (moving less weight through the world every minute of every day), and our exercise calorie estimates for many exercise types should decrease, also. If we don't tell the device we lost weight (somehow), it doesn't know, doesn't adjust its estimates.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I’ve not lost weight but I’ve not gained it either but feel like I’ve gained belly fat. Any thoughts?
    There are feelings and there is reality. The two are not necessarily connected 😉
    Are you measuring yourself or using the tightness of (non stretchy) clothes to judge progress, on top of weighing yourself? Or taking progress pictures?

As for not losing weight: if it's been only a few weeks and the exercise is new, water retention from the exercise could be masking fat loss on the scale. (with more info about yourself and your settings on MFP we could perhaps give more specific advice)

Yes, I used to feel like my biceps were getting bigger, but the tape measure proved they were actually getting smaller.

I second the recommendation to measure, or use the same pair of jeans to measure progress, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, I used to feel like my biceps were getting bigger, but the tape measure proved they were actually getting smaller.

I second the recommendation to measure, or use the same pair of jeans to measure progress, etc.

I agree with that, so this is not a disagreement, but a "both, and" kind of comment.

I mentioned upthread that partly-depleted fat masses can be more soft, so droop a little with gravity, when part way through weight loss. It seems possible that someone's fat distribution or fat loss patterns could result in a temporary increase in waist measurement or tightness in jeans, if the central fat is the only thing the person's focused on. Bodies can be weird. "Temporary" is a key word there: If the person keeps up with weight loss, the size reduction will happen.
  • marekminutskimfp
    marekminutskimfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve been sticking religiously to my calories, going to the gym and doing strength training, walking minimum of 10k steps a day and drinking 2.5 - 4 litres of water a day. I’ve not lost weight but I’ve not gained it either but feel like I’ve gained belly fat. Any thoughts?

1. If weight has not changed it means you're not doing a caloric deficit. You can either check if you're counting correctly or reduce daily intake
    2. If you weren't training before, it's normal to feel to be "bigger". It's just because you're increasing muscle mass which put fat more in surface.